Battle Baidu Antivirus 4.0.3 vs Bitdefender Free 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaspion

Level 17
Verified
Jun 5, 2013
Instead of subjective "this is better" or "that is better", I think we should speak of characteristics. Users can decide if a set of characteristics from a program is useful to them or not.

Real-time file scanner: Baidu is a little faster. Bitdefender is more automated.

False Positives: both have a history of somewhat excessive FPs. Baidu have been improving on that, and seem open to user feedback. I also haven't seen recent FPs with Bitdefender engine.

For the future: I don't know what Bitdefender is cooking for their free offering. On Baidu's side, they're actually asking in their forum for users to vote and suggest new features. You can take a look here. I urged the Baidu team to work on strengthening what they already have, and fix half-assed features such as the Cloud File Scanner and improve the web filter, etc. I'm curious to see which path they'll take: try make the product look impressive, or actually be impressive. I guess we'll find out soon enough.

Security: neither is perfect. I'd say Bitdefender wins this part of the comparison, however, because of the effectiveness of its web filter. Detection rates are similar in both products.

Scanning speed: in this regard, Baidu runs rings around Bitdefender. Bitdefender Free AV's scans are terribly, terribly slow.

Usability: depends. I could say, "Baidu wins this round," but that's because I prefer to have more control, and more speed, to do simple things such as scanning specific folders, updating the product manually, etc. But if you prefer a quiet AV, you should probably get Bitdefender Free, because it is designed to be a set-it-and-forget-it product.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
One major disadvantage for Bitdefender is the requirement to have a registered account to use their free products such as, Free AV and SafePay.

moonshine

Level 7
Verified
Apr 19, 2011
In my standpoint, I'd rather prefer Baidu's complexity over Bitdefender's simplicity. I like to have options on my end so Bitdefender's simple UI doesn't cut it for me.

Chromatinfish 123

Level 21
Verified
May 26, 2014
Bitdefender for the protection, Baidu for the complexity. Bitdefender Free has better protection because it has the same engine in the paid products, a very good one, but it is very simple (too simple to me)! All you can do is switch off Idle Scan and Real-Time Protection. It's the size of an extra-large windows widget. Baidu is kinda like Avast, a promoted free product, while Bitdefender Free is not promoted, and the download page cannot be accessed on the Bitdefender homepage!
Bitdefender< Baidu+Common Sense Antivirus 2014
Still I recommend Common Sense Antivirus 2014, it's cross platform, and it's free! It's already installed on your system, guaranteed!

R

RevolutionSphere

Instead of subjective "this is better" or "that is better", I think we should speak of characteristics. Users can decide if a set of characteristics from a program is useful to them or not.

Real-time file scanner: Baidu is a little faster. Bitdefender is more automated.

False Positives: both have a history of somewhat excessive FPs. Baidu have been improving on that, and seem open to user feedback. I also haven't seen recent FPs with Bitdefender engine.

For the future: I don't know what Bitdefender is cooking for their free offering. On Baidu's side, they're actually asking in their forum for users to vote and suggest new features. You can take a look here. I urged the Baidu team to work on strengthening what they already have, and fix half-assed features such as the Cloud File Scanner and improve the web filter, etc. I'm curious to see which path they'll take: try make the product look impressive, or actually be impressive. I guess we'll find out soon enough.

Security: neither is perfect. I'd say Bitdefender wins this part of the comparison, however, because of the effectiveness of its web filter. Detection rates are similar in both products.

Scanning speed: in this regard, Baidu runs rings around Bitdefender. Bitdefender Free AV's scans are terribly, terribly slow.

Usability: depends. I could say, "Baidu wins this round," but that's because I prefer to have more control, and more speed, to do simple things such as scanning specific folders, updating the product manually, etc. But if you prefer a quiet AV, you should probably get Bitdefender Free, because it is designed to be a set-it-and-forget-it product.
The Baidu Antivirus Forum, reminds me of the Avast one.

M

MalwareT

Baidu vs BitDefender comparison:

1)User Interface - Baidu
2)Memory usage and system impact - Tied
3)Website blocking BitDefender
4)Protection -Baidu
5)Features - Baidu
6) Scanning and removal - Baidu
7)Detection - Tied
8)Phishing - BitDefender

Jaspion

Level 17
Verified
Jun 5, 2013
The Baidu Antivirus Forum, reminds me of the Avast one.
A HUGE number of PCs in Brazil have Baidu installed (I don't know about other countries), but almost NO-ONE chose to install it. Instead people downloaded anything from VLC to CCleaner from a famous, commonly trusted website, and got a custom installer with persistent adware, YAC (Baidu PC faster clone), Baidu Antivirus/PC Faster... I do not support this kind of practice.

Their cloud scanner is now even worse than it was! You scan a file: result safe. Scan again: unknown: Scan again: risk. You think, wow, at first it was safe, then unknown, then a risk! So that must mean it is being analyzed in real-time by the Baidu Cloud. Wow. That's impressive. Scan again! Result: safe. Scan again: risk. Scan again: unknown. Etc, etc, etc. It seems to give results almost at random.

Yet, they keep adding new features. Should I believe they are protecting me? They always seem to have the money to promote themselves via new flashy spacious features, and by using deceptive methods just like the very trojan/adware we are trying to eliminate, but not to correct existing features so they actually work in their favor?

Baidu hasn't matured enough as a security company, from my point of view. But I'm just a guy sitting behind a computer, so what do I know?

Edit: by the way, their Forum is empty. For such a huge company with such a huge user base... maybe if they actually wanted to listen, there would be people there to be heard.

Reactions: MalwareT
R

RevolutionSphere

A HUGE number of PCs in Brazil have Baidu installed (I don't know about other countries), but almost NO-ONE chose to install it. Instead people downloaded anything from VLC to CCleaner from a famous, commonly trusted website, and got a custom installer with persistent adware, YAC (Baidu PC faster clone), Baidu Antivirus/PC Faster... I do not support this kind of practice.

Their cloud scanner is now even worse than it was! You scan a file: result safe. Scan again: unknown: Scan again: risk. You think, wow, at first it was safe, then unknown, then a risk! So that must mean it is being analyzed in real-time by the Baidu Cloud. Wow. That's impressive. Scan again! Result: safe. Scan again: risk. Scan again: unknown. Etc, etc, etc. It seems to give results almost at random.

Yet, they keep adding new features. Should I believe they are protecting me? They always seem to have the money to promote themselves via new flashy spacious features, and by using deceptive methods just like the very trojan/adware we are trying to eliminate, but not to correct existing features so they actually work in their favor?

Baidu hasn't matured enough as a security company, from my point of view. But I'm just a guy sitting behind a computer, so what do I know?

Edit: by the way, their Forum is empty. For such a huge company with such a huge user base... maybe if they actually wanted to listen, there would be people there to be heard.
Sounds like they have the potential to be great a AV. I also think that AV forums help a lot, because they then can get user feedback and improve certain thing of software itself.

That's SMF too.

I hate Baidu. Their automated systems just copy paste detections from Kaspersky and ESET.
Though the Avast forum got hacked like 2 weeks ago, if Baidu are using the same hosting for there forum, couldn't it happen to them as well?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Malware1
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.