Battle Best Ad-Blocker

Status
Not open for further replies.

NikolayfromRussia

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Jul 3, 2014
I was a fan of ad muncher but now use adguard installed on my laps. Murray wrote in his blog that ad muncher will soon be available completely free product and promised to do it by the end of June. But now is September and they still ask to pay for it.

StarHawk

Oct 17, 2014
I sent this to Adguard-
Hey glad to here about your program, just with in the last week from Donationcoder.

I'm wondering if you could give a purchase discount on your Adguard for currant users of Admucher (I've renewed three times already and no version 5 in nine years.)

Resources:

http://www.admuncher.com/

https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=38579.0;wap2

Just a thought of discount % = 1 year 50%, 2 year 60%, unlimited lifetime license 25%.

ADGUARDS REPLY:

Unfortunately, we don't give discounts, but if you purchase a 1-year license key,
we can give you a 3-month key for free, if you contact us after.

@nastavnikhe:
STANDARD LICENSE-
Ad blocking and malware protection

PREMIUM LICENSE-
Ad blocking and malware protection
  • Parental Control
  • Can be used to activate Adguard for Android
  • Priority tech support

@ THE POST who said the two guys of Adguard were your friend (don't find your post now-quickly) Why not work on them to discount the lifelong PREMIUM license of $10.00-$15.00 off regular price, I'd jump on it in a heart beat...

Old school ways like IE11 and running KIS 2015, I find it very good for my needs, FAST-LITE-far better than
ADM_ _ _ _ _. GUI not overwhelming like the COW.

Adguard stops the pop-up ads from Home of YIFY, the Cow did not... It just cleans up everything even my email accounts even the worst ymail.

Hopes this helps someone other wise I will not argue with you as I respect what you thing works for ya.

StarHawk

Oct 17, 2014
Why is Adguard better than Adblock and Adblock Plus?
Posted by Daria Magdik on 21 January 2014 04:46 PM
https://kb.adguard.com/index.php?/K...-adguard-better-than-adblock-and-adblock-plus
Adguard is often compared with well-known browser-extensions - Adblock and Adblock Plus. In this article we describe what main advantages Adguard has, that his competitors haven’t.
Adguard’s advantages are largely due to the limitations that are imposed on browser-based extensions. Adblock and Adblock Plus technologically are not able to remove all the ads on the page. That’s because Adguard processes page even before it is loaded into the browser, removing all advertising elements. Extensions work on a different principle - advertising banners hide only after they are loaded onto the page. If you've ever used Adblock, then you surely noticed how the hiding banners “blink

The second advantage of Adguard is also due to the fact that it is a separate program, not a browser-extension. Adguard can block ads in any browser. Whatever browser you use, whether it's Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Opera, Internet Explorer or Yandex… - with Adguard you will forget about irritating online ads.
If you use a rare browser - it can be a problem for Adblock and Adblock Plus, because these extensions exist only for the most popular browsers. With Adguard you won’t have these problems, you can easily add your browser to the protected list.

And that’s not all. Adguard can block ads in Skype, uTorrent and many other common programs. Just add them to the list of browsers and restart.
In addition to blocking ads, Adguard gives you a lot of additional tools. Perhaps the most important of them is the Phishing Filter. Operation of this module is built on the use of constantly updated blacklists of malicious and phishing sites. Adguard uses the two main sources. First is the list of Google Safe Browsing. Second is Adguard’s own blacklists. We are constantly monitoring data on the safety of websites and quickly improve our filters.

Some users use Adguard instead of antivirus, some with it. In any case, Adguard seriously increases the security of your computer on the network.
There is popular misconception that Adblock and Adblock Plus almost do not consume resources. But is it really so?
To check this - (I don't use Chrome but, feel free too, if you do).
we will use the Task Manager in Google Chrome browser.
Note that even in the most simple settings and one single filter enabled, extensions consume 100 megabytes of RAM. Adguard consumes almost the same amount of resources while offering much more features.
To sum up:
  1. Adguard blocks ads up before they are loaded into the browser.
  2. Adguard really saves traffic used by you.
  3. Adguard works in any browser.
  4. Adguard can remove ads from Skype, uTorrent and other applications.
  5. Adguard helps to protect you from viruses and scams.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Adguard was developed using sophisticated heuristic algorithms and a wide range of filters that work perfectly in removing ads and popups. Once installed, Adguard silently works in the background and automatically protects you from ads and malicious websites. Though ad-blocking plugins are able to hide a part of advertisements, Adguards removes it completely, saving both Internet traffic and nerves. We created this program around three years ago and have been improving it ever since.

Adguard works great with built-in browser filters, but if you are using programs like Netchart filter or Admuncher, you'll have to stop using them to take advantage of Adguard's advanced functionality.

In opposite to ad blocking add-ons for browsers, AdGuard works as a transparent proxy. Browser add-ons usually hog the system, transparent proxies don't. - Also, some of you might use more than one browser (or HTML-capable mail clients), so you'd have to install a pretty decent amount of extra software. Install, fire and forget, never see any ads again.

Does Adguard monitor my online activities?
No, it doesn't. We don't log any information and don't send anything to any third parties.
-------- -------- --------
http://adguard.com/en/privacy.html

Information we collect when you use Adguard for Windows
License check
Adguard connects to its servers to validate your license status. When it happens, the following information is sent:
  1. Application identifier.
  2. Adguard version.
  3. A short hash value identifying the computer's configuration.
  4. The computer's name.
  5. The computer's IP address.
  6. Your license key.
Ad Blocker filters updates check
Adguard connects to its servers to check ad blocker filters updates. When it happens, the following information is sent:
  1. Ad blocker filters identifiers.
  2. Application identifier.
  3. Current ad blocker filters versions.
Browsing Security database updates check
Adguard uses Safebrowsing Protocol v2 to check browsing security database updates. It exchanges data with the server using hashed URLs so the server never knows the actual URLs queried by the clients.
Adguard connects to Adguard servers to check our filters updates. We do not store any data received this way.
If you enable Google Safebrowsing filter Adguard connects to Google Safebrowsing servers to check for updates.
Contact the support service
When you contact the support service via the "Support" section, the following information is sent along with your message and the email you've entered:
  1. Application identifier.
  2. Application version.
  3. Your Windows version.
  4. Version of Microsoft .NET Framework installed on your computer.
  5. The list of installed Layered Service Providers.
  6. The list of enabled Ad Blocker filters.
  7. The program license key.
If you enabled the "Send system report" option, the program will also send additional data for the troubleshooting:
  1. A list of active processes.
  2. A list of user's network interfaces.
  3. Contents of the WinSock catalog. Detailed information about installed Layered Service Providers.
  4. Contents of Adguard's log file containing a list of errors that occurred since the previous start of the program.
Browsing Security community
If you enabled the "Take part in the development of a browsing security option", the program will periodically send anonymous security-related data:
  1. URLs of visited websites that Adguard identifies as potentially untrustworthy.
  2. Information on the nature of identified threats
The information described above, when collected by the Adguard for Windows, is generally not correlated with any other personal information related to you and is used anonymously in aggregation with similar information from other users

Information we collect when you use Adguard browser extensions
Adguard extension installation or update.
Adguard extension connects to its server just after installation or update. When it happens, the following information is sent:
  1. Unique extension ID.
  2. Extension version.
  3. "Show acceptable ads" setting value.
We do this with a single purpose: to know the number of unique installations of our extension. This information is stored for 24 hours and then it is deleted.
Ad Blocker filters updates check
Adguard extension connects to its servers to check ad blocker filters updates. When it happens, the following information is sent:
  1. Ad blocker filters identifiers.
  2. Current ad blocker filters versions.
Browsing Security site check
If you enable "Phishing and malware protection" option, Adguard extension checks every web site before you visit it. It uses a special lookup web service to do the check. When it happens, the following information is sent:
  1. Website domain name.
  2. Website IP address.
Statistics for ad filters usage
If you enable the "Send statistics for ad filters usage" option, the following information is sent periodically:
  1. Extension version.
  2. Browser type (Chrome/Firefox/Opera/Yandex.Browser/Safari).
  3. List of enabled ad filters.
  4. List of filter rules used lately.
By gathering statistics on used filtering rules, we can detect and remove the rules that are no longer used. As a result, it will help all those who use Adguard.
Browsing Security community
If you enabled the "Help us in Browsing security filters development", the program will periodically send anonymous security-related data:
  1. URLs of visited websites that Adguard identifies as potentially untrustworthy.
  2. Information on the nature of identified threats.
Extension installation or update
The following information is sent just after browser extension has been installed or updated:
  1. Browser extension type (Chrome/Firefox/Opera/Yandex.Browser/Safari).
  2. Extension version.
The information described above, when collected by the Adguard extension, is generally not correlated with any other personal information related to you and is used anonymously in aggregation with similar information from other users of the Adguard software for analytical purposes.

THE BOTTOM LINE-
(I wish I were a lawyer to understand this and it's effect)

Storage, Retention, and Deletion of Personal Information
Storage
Personally identifiable information on our servers is only accessible from our physical premises, or via an encrypted virtual private network (VPN). Access is limited to authorized personnel only, and company networks are password protected, and subject to additional policies and procedures for security.
Deletion of personal information
In general, our policy is to keep personal information for no longer than reasonably necessary in light of the purpose for which the information was collected, plus any additional period that is permitted or required by law thereafter. Following the expiration of the purpose for which we collected personal information plus any additional period that is permitted or required by law, we will either delete or de-identify the information from our systems.

General notes
In general, we collect no more personal information than is required in order to provide full functionality of our products. It is never shared with any third parties. This policy lists the data that is collected and the processing applied to it. We take all necessary technical, administrative and physical measures to protect the information we collect about users.
Data we collect when you visit our website
Cookies
When you visit our website, our server may place a small data file called a "cookie" (sometimes called "web cookie" or "browser cookie") on your hard drive. Most commercial websites use cookies. By using our site you agree to the use of cookies as described in this privacy policy. The data we acquire from cookies is processed by various analytics tools and may be used to determine your geographic location (via your IP address and automated geolocation techniques), or to acquire basic information about the computer, tablet, or mobile phone that you use to visit us. Geolocation data helps us to deliver content in the correct language, offer region- or country-specific products, and identify your local currency in the event of a purchase. Cookies can help you log in by remembering your user credentials (depending on which options you select in your profile settings). We may also use cookies to record your shopping cart contents and user registration information. Cookies can help us identify your preferences, including language and currency, for future use. Cookies usually expire within 30-60 days.
With the help of our cookies we may sometimes collect anonymous information in order to improve the accuracy of our services. We can also use cookies to collect anonymous information regarding downloads of our products from download site(s); this information is used only for statistical purposes, and no personal information is collected or stored. If you wish, you can disable cookies on your web browsing software.
Google Analytics and Yandex.Metrika
We currently use two website analytics tools: Google Analytics and Yandex.Metrika. These tools help us understand the use of our site by our visitors. Because Google Analytics and Yandex.Metrika both require cookies to function, users who wish to avoid tracking by Google Analytics and Yandex.Metrika while on our site can disable cookies on their web browsing software (see above).
News subscriptions
Our website offers news and information by subscription including newsletters, blogs, or others. If you decide to subscribe to these services you may be asked to provide your email address.
Contact us
If you contact us by email, we will require your email address in order to reply.
Support Center
You may join the Support Center at kb.adguard.com. Certain features require registration in order to participate. When you register for the Support Center you will be asked to provide your full name and email address, and select a password. No other information is required to register. This information is not shared with other users.
Adguard Forum
You may also join the Adguard Forum at forum.adguard.com. If you decide to register, you will be asked to select a username, password, and physical location. Disclosing your physical location is optional. You will also be required to provide an email address for use in connection with Adguard Forum. You may allow other users to send you messages if you wish. Once registered for Adguard Forum you may control your privacy settings by visiting your "Profile" page. You can modify your settings at any time.
Adguard Account
Adguard Account (http://adguard.com/account/login.html) is a tool which permits you to register multiple license using a single registration and authentication system. If you choose to use Adguard Account you will be asked to provide your email address. You will also be asked to select a password. We may use this information for purposes of validating your license, providing support, delivering additional products and services, and enabling you to change your Adguard Account and/or product settings.
Third-party content and sites
There may be times when we offer links to third-party sites such as Twitter, Facebook, or others.
Information we collect when you download our product
You are not required to disclose any personal information in order to download any of our products.
Information we collect when you purchase Adguard for Windows
When you pay for Adguard for Windows product the billing is generally handled by a third-party service provider. In most cases the service provider is acting as our reseller; thus, you will be making your purchase from the service provider directly, and not from Adguard. The handling of your personal information will be governed by any privacy policy or terms of service published by the service provider.
We save the information you enter on the order page. This information can be used in the future if you request your license key to be recovered.
The third-party service provider may transmit some of your personal information to us, but not including payment information, unless you specifically agree (as may be the case in the event of a purchase with auto-renewal). We may use the information we receive (not including payment information) to verify your registration or license status, to contact you about the status of your account, or for renewal of your subscription, if applicable.[,spoiler]

Personally:
  • Firefox: AdBlockEdge + Ghostery
  • Chrome: AdGuard + Ghostery
You might or might not know this about Ghostery-

Evidon helps companies that want to improve their use of tracking code by selling them data collected from the eight million Ghostery users who have enabled a data-sharing feature in the tool.

Via -
http://www.technologyreview.com/news/516156/a-popular-ad-blocker-also-helps-the-ad-industry/

Only to inform, Not a thumbs UP or Down

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Oxygen

NullPointerException

Level 12
Verified
Aug 25, 2014
I, as a little bit of feeling troll-like, have voted for every product. In my opinion, as long as the product does its job it has no need to be replaced. Just as I use uBlock, but I like Adblock and Adblock Plus too. Then again, last time I used adblock, my score was about 2 million ads blocked. Currently, just one-or-two month ago, I installed uBlock. I've 60K ads blocked. It doesn't matter as long as all of the ads are blocked. I don't care about RAM usage, I am not playing Crysis while browsing.

Reactions: BoraMurdar

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
I voted for Ghostery and BluHell Firewall :)

I don't use Adblock plus on Firefox anymore, consumes too much RAM in comparison with my other add ons. Also, it causes my browser to have a slow start up. :eek:

Last edited:

oldarmyguy

Oct 31, 2014
I use only IE on all my machines and have been using AdFender for over a year now with no complaints. It does the job and doesn't eat up a whole lot of CPU usage or memory. Not much else to add.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
I'm a long time user of Adblock Plus on Chrome and Firefox before but the effectiveness is still the same, its just a matter to try other adblocker and that's Adguard which does the same function.

Last edited:

breathejustice

Level 2
Verified
Oct 18, 2014
Adguard makes my internet explorer crashed(I prefer the internet explorer because adobe flash of IE is much better than that of Forefox and Chrome. It use only 4-7% cpu but FF and Chrome use 40-60% cpu ), and it is not free.
I use adblock plus.

Last edited:

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
isn't adguard is paid only version? they doesn't have any free version AFAIK....

To clarify the full package of Adguard in Windows is a shareware therefore you need to purchase when trial expired. But the extensions are free with selected features only that's it can be download on a browser supported,

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.