Advice Request Best alternative to LastPass 2021

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Eggnog

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Mar 21, 2018
As many of you already know, LastPass is changing to only supporting one device in its free version beginning March 16. LastPass has had some issues since acquired by LogMeIn and I've had trouble from time to time with log ins not working properly. I've been using LastPass for several years but I think it's time for a change. What is a good alternative? I don't care whether it's free or paid, so long as it is secure and reputable, has all the core features you would expect, has a clean interface, is relatively intuitive to use, and doesn't require a doctorate to set up. I already have my LastPass .csv exported so I'm good to go. If it has some useful bells and whistles, that's okay, too. I don't, however, want to pay about $25 over the standard price of other comparable managers for Dashlane just to get its stupid VPN which is just a basic rebrand of HotSpot Shield. Thanks in advance.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Like others said the two best similar alternatives are 1Password and Bitwarden.
I suggest you try them both (Bitwarden can be used free and 1Password has a 14 day trial) and see which one works best for you.

Upvote 0

BigWrench

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 13, 2014
As many of you already know, LastPass is changing to only supporting one device in its free version beginning March 16. LastPass has had some issues since acquired by LogMeIn and I've had trouble from time to time with log ins not working properly. I've been using LastPass for several years but I think it's time for a change. What is a good alternative? I don't care whether it's free or paid, so long as it is secure and reputable, has all the core features you would expect, has a clean interface, is relatively intuitive to use, and doesn't require a doctorate to set up. I already have my LastPass .csv exported so I'm good to go. If it has some useful bells and whistles, that's okay, too. I don't, however, want to pay about $25 over the standard price of other comparable managers for Dashlane just to get its stupid VPN which is just a basic rebrand of HotSpot Shield. Thanks in advance.
THANKS!!!!
I wasn't aware of this move. I've got LastPass "free" synced with 10 PC's, and 3 Apples. Frankly this sucks. Will investigate options as well. :mad:
Being a former Webroot Password Manager, may have some benifits. We'll see on the 17th 😏

Upvote 0

enaph

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 14, 2011
I don't care whether a manager is free or not. I just want a good one.
If price is not the issue then you should be happy with 1Password.
Bitwarden is great for a free password manager but I have encountered some major issues with sync - I was forced to log out and log back in again in order to sync newly created entries.
1Password is the most reputable and mature password manager out there.

Upvote 0

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
What were your thoughts about LastPass Premium? And why did you chose not to upgrade for their paid tier?

Security + Features + Cross platform: 1Password

Extra login security = About your Secret Key | 1Password
Breach monitoring: About Watchtower privacy in 1Password
Travel Mode to remove vaults abroad = Use Travel Mode to remove vaults from your devices when you travel | 1Password
Integration with Privacy.com = Use 1Password to create and fill Privacy Cards - Optional.

Discuss: Updates - Privacy.com - A Smarter Way to Pay Online

Other methods to fund your 1Password account subscription, Digital Gift Cards | Give the Gift of Secure Passwords | 1Password

Recommendation based on limited experience with 1Password vs Bitwarden vs LastPass (long time user).

Upvote 0

Thales

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2017
for me Enpass is very good. I woud use Bitwarden again if the desktop app and the browser extension would be connected like in keepass, enpass, sticky etc. but bitwarden is a browser based password manager.

Upvote 0

Solarlynx

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 30, 2012
I understand LP's decision as they have to support their development. I am grateful for their services, which I have enjoyed for a long time.

I just moved to Bitwarden from LP. So far so good. I like its Nord theme. I zipped with Glary the csv file from LP, I'll keep it for a while on my PC.

I keep using Google chrome pw manager in Chrome as well. I feel so relaxed that even let it grab BW master pw. And it helped me to restore the master pw when I over-played with its changing.

I think I'll keep using LP auth as it backups and is covered with pin and fingerprint, unlike Authy or Google auth.

It's great that BW is an open-source app.

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.