Status
Not open for further replies.

Rogerius

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Apr 23, 2014
Hello all!
I have a question for you which is bugging me so long.
I don't know which AV or IS to choose for me, and I need your help.
My browsing behavior is good, and I don't use torrent so much, so I thought maybe IS (Internet Security) isn't necessary.
My laptop isn't so strong (i5-3337U & GT 710M) and sometimes I use it for gaming, so the performance is the most important.
I'm using Windows 8.1.
My options is the following ones:
- ESET Smart Security 7 or 8 beta (for this I have a free license because my university)
- ESET NOD32 7 or 8 beta (for this I have a free license because my university)
- Bitdefender Internet Security 2015 (free key from here)
- any other free AV, or paid AV with free key (for example: AVG)

First question: Antivirus or Internet Security? Why?
Second question: Which one?

Thanks for your answers in advance, and sorry for my bad English.

Reactions: Kent and MrExplorer

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Keep in mind that a ESS license will work for both ESS & EAV.Where as an EAV license will only work for EAV.I don't know how they give you the free licenses but something to keep in mind.Especially if you try ESS & want to try EAV

Reactions: Moose and Rogerius

Rogerius

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Apr 23, 2014
Keep in mind that a ESS license will work for both ESS & EAV.Where as an EAV license will only work for EAV.I don't know how they give you the free licenses but something to keep in mind.Especially if you try ESS & want to try EAV

I have ESS license, which is good for both NOD 32 and ESS. I request it same way as with a magazine code (for example: CHIP, PC WORLD, etc.).

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
@Rogerius Do you recognise the difference between using a Stable release and a Beta release?

I would strongly recommend using a stable release on a PC you use regularly for work, social or education. Beta software comes with a risk of breaking websites, slowing down Internet, compatibility, stability and other software bugs. This is a general statement I would give for any Beta software, not just the ones listed by OP.

As you are using Windows 8.1. I would suggest using ESET Nod32 Antivirus, the Windows Firewall is more than enough for a home user. However, if you regularly use Public hotspots or University Wi-Fi, then maybe consider the Internet Security (ie. ESET Smart Security) which includes a Firewall, that may be more easier to manage than Windows Firewall with Advanced Settings.

ESET Smart Security also comes with Anti-Theft, and if you're taking your laptop around it will be helpful in the unfortunate event your laptop is lost or stolen. More features, http://www.eset.com/us/home/products/smart-security/

If you're still interested in Anti-Theft protection, take a look at Prey. It's free, open-source and proven that it can help assist you into recovering a stolen laptop. More info, https://preyproject.com/
So don't feel that you must use ESET Smart Security, you can continue to use ESET Nod32 Antivirus or another Free AV (ie. avast, AVG, Avira or even Windows Defender in Windows 8.1).

You may want to consider using a Free browser-based VPN extension on Public Hotspots, for this I recommend ZenMate.
http://malwaretips.com/threads/zenmate-for-google-chrome-secure-browsing.17086/
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/zenmate/fdcgdnkidjaadafnichfpabhfomcebme?hl=en
Other browser and devices support coming soon, https://zenmate.com/

Hope this helps.

Note: I would avoid Bitdefender Internet Security, a free license yes, but it has many software bugs and slows down performance over an extended period of time.

Edit: Fixed typo.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rogerius

Quassar

Level 12
Verified
Well-known
Feb 10, 2012
Im not fan of IS packets becasue good av with sux firewall or good firewall with sux av.
But if you rly need all in one i prefer you EAM with Online Armor.

My combine setup is more light(with out vmware systems) than all and more secure.

Real-time:
AppGuard + SpyShelter Firewall
Shadow Defender with Sandboxie

On-demand:
VMware(again same security what in main system)
Scaners from CD Avira & Kaspersky + Mbam

titan1

Level 1
Verified
Oct 10, 2014
Hello all!
I have a question for you which is bugging me so long.
I don't know which AV or IS to choose for me, and I need your help.
My browsing behavior is good, and I don't use torrent so much, so I thought maybe IS (Internet Security) isn't necessary.
My laptop isn't so strong (i5-3337U & GT 710M) and sometimes I use it for gaming, so the performance is the most important.
I'm using Windows 8.1.
My options is the following ones:
- ESET Smart Security 7 or 8 beta (for this I have a free license because my university)
- ESET NOD32 7 or 8 beta (for this I have a free license because my university)
- Bitdefender Internet Security 2015 (free key from here)
- any other free AV, or paid AV with free key (for example: AVG)

First question: Antivirus or Internet Security? Why?
Second question: Which one?

Thanks for your answers in advance, and sorry for my bad English.

well as you are gamer then there is no space for av like bitdefender or kaspersky.moreover you use torrent (not much but you do use it) so again free av like windows defender and avast were disqualified.So the only choice remains for you is ESET.now ESET smart security has a firewall.since you don't do sensitive financial transaction on your lappy,you don't need the additional bells and whistles.So Eset nod 32 ver. 7+ windows firewall will be best for you.use MBAM free with them for On demand scanning.And never use beta programs because they contain flaws and are not stable.that is why they are beta.best of luck.

jerzy601

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 20, 2011
for me the best are:
Eset NOD32
Eset Internet Security
Emsisoft Internet Security
F-AV Security, Internet Security F-
Kaspersky AV

titan1

Level 1
Verified
Oct 10, 2014
for me the best are:
Eset NOD32
Eset Internet Security
Emsisoft Internet Security
F-AV Security, Internet Security F-
Kaspersky AV

But he will play games.Kaspersky may be one of the most powerful antiviruses but it affects gaming performance very much.I myself have suffered from such crysis.

FleischmannTV

Level 7
Verified
Honorary Member
Well-known
Jun 12, 2014
I disagree that recent Kaspersky products are affecting gaming performance in a negative way. Personally I was never able to witness such a thing at any time and neither have I seen any hard evidence to confirm these accusations. In fact I find Kaspersky very light these days. Of course there can be temporary compatibility issues but that happens with all AVs every now and then.

As another great contender I would like to suggest the new Norton Security 2015. Excellent 0-day protection in combination with superb performance.

titan1

Level 1
Verified
Oct 10, 2014
How are free antiviruses disqualified when one uses torrent :oops:

free antiviruses provide basic protection.Either they give excellent feature but poor detection(e.g. Comodo IS or zonealarm IS free) or they provide decent detection but lack feature(e.g. Avast or avira) some lack both (e.g. AVG free).those who download torrents are typically considered as high risk users.They are prone to get zero day malwares,or terrifying rootkits etc.So to fight with such danger one needs great feature and great detection.ESET comprises both.That is my point of view.:D

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
free antiviruses provide basic protection.Either they give excellent feature but poor detection(e.g. Comodo IS or zonealarm IS free) or they provide decent detection but lack feature(e.g. Avast or avira) some lack both (e.g. AVG free).those who download torrents are typically considered as high risk users.They are prone to get zero day malwares,or terrifying rootkits etc.So to fight with such danger one needs great feature and great detection.ESET comprises both.That is my point of view.:D

Why not just go over to safe sites with comments on torrents? KickassTorrents an example :D

Reactions: Atlas147
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.