Status
Not open for further replies.

Rogerius

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Apr 23, 2014
Hello all!
I have a question for you which is bugging me so long.
I don't know which AV or IS to choose for me, and I need your help.
My browsing behavior is good, and I don't use torrent so much, so I thought maybe IS (Internet Security) isn't necessary.
My laptop isn't so strong (i5-3337U & GT 710M) and sometimes I use it for gaming, so the performance is the most important.
I'm using Windows 8.1.
My options is the following ones:
- ESET Smart Security 7 or 8 beta (for this I have a free license because my university)
- ESET NOD32 7 or 8 beta (for this I have a free license because my university)
- Bitdefender Internet Security 2015 (free key from here)
- any other free AV, or paid AV with free key (for example: AVG)

First question: Antivirus or Internet Security? Why?
Second question: Which one?

Thanks for your answers in advance, and sorry for my bad English.

Reactions: Kent and MrExplorer

dowN1

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Aug 11, 2014
Eset smart security (you can go with nod32 also, but since it's 'free', why not choose ESS) ; super light, great detection, don't ask you almost anything (you'll forget it's there)

Reactions: Rogerius

GabiCRX

Level 8
Verified
Jun 24, 2011
"ESS vs NOD32 vs Bitdefender IS vs any free AV"
What i suggest it's not free, it's not light, but when it comes to level of protection and features i think it's one of the best, Kaspersky.

Reactions: Rogerius

Rogerius

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Apr 23, 2014
I used Kaspersky before, but I have only bad memories...
On one day my system isn't started. Hardly I could boot up, and made the explorer.exe working for a while (which is always restarted in 1 minute but somehow I could fix, so it was stable for 15 mins).
I made a system scan with Kaspersky (it was installed at that time, when I installed my OS; always on & not hacked or cracked (90 day trial)), nothing. In my despair I uninstalled it (and because it's Windows 8 it switched back the built-in MS Security Essential).
It was funny, because in 1 minute it found 1-2 infected file (which was linked to the explorer.exe in system32 -> that was the reason why it always restarted itself), and after the malware removal, my system was normal (at least until I backed up everything and reinstalled my OS).
From this moment I avoid Kaspersky...

Reactions: Kent

VirusAttak

Level 4
Verified
Aug 31, 2014
you need a AV
you really don't need a paid AV as you are not a hardcore user of internet .
As i can see you have a key ESET so my advice is to go for it it is light and does not impact on performance so play what ever game you want

Reactions: Kent and Rogerius

Rogerius

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Apr 23, 2014
Browsing behavior = good
No torrents = Yes
Home user = Yes
Computer knowledge = Medium?

All you need is a free antivirus :D Try 360 IS. It's quite light. :)

No torrents = max. 3-5 in a month
Computer knowledge = High
I learning computer engineering at my university.

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
No torrents = max. 3-5 in a month
Computer knowledge = High
I learning computer engineering at my university.

Well then you don't need a paid for antivirus. 360IS or any free antivirus should protect you well. Avast is quite light too.
I don't think I'm supposed to talk about torrents here, but if you download them, read the comments before downloading, that's why KickAssTorrents is the best place for it.

By the way there are plenty of legal torrents too.

Reactions: Kent and Rogerius

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
Using Bitdefender IS now, been using it for at least 2 months now, really light on my system! I really like that they provide what they call a "security report" after every week (sort of a summary) to show you what are the detections that they've picked up on your computer. I think another one that I would say is good would be Qihoo 360 IS, was using it for a long period of time before I changed to Bitdefender to test it out, I really love the interface and the best thing about it is that Qihoo is free and has stunningly good detections and doesn't have ads advertising their paid products (because they don't have paid products).

Rogerius

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Apr 23, 2014
Guys, NOD 32 (or ESET Smart Security) is free for me, so if you compare something to that, money isn't an aspect in this case (only after I graduated (min. 3.5 years)). :)

Last edited:

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
ESET Smart Security 7.It is very light for a suite and runs very well on Windows 8.There is really no need to use the beta version since on its official release you can just install version 8 right over version 7.Since you get ESET for free I personally think that is your best choice.ESET is pretty light for a suite but my next choice would be ESET Nod32 AV & Windows firewall.

Purshu_Pro

Level 29
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 3, 2013
ESET NOD 32 Should do good with you and your computer.
I believe a complete internet security pack is not needed unless u use a laptop.
ESET SS Product Comes With AntiTheft which may become a good handy tool if u loose ur Laptop.
If u are using windows 8/8.1 ESET NOD 32 is enough because it doesnt provide any good spam filtering for Metro Mail App.
The only additional feature with ESET SS is that u will be given Antitheft and Firewall and Antispam. All the other other features are covered in corresponding product with same level of security.

tonibalas

Level 40
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
currently i'm using eset nod32 with windows firewall and i'm very happy with it it's very light and i don't feel any slow down on my laptop since you have a license for nod32 use it and i am sure you will be more than happy with it;)

S

starchild76

my preference is AVG Is the product you love or hate , its slowely but steadely improving bit by bit. its certainly not perfect , but suits me just fine :) but these things are about personal tastes and needs!

Anupam

Level 21
Verified
Well-known
Jul 7, 2014
my preference is AVG Is the product you love or hate , its slowely but steadely improving bit by bit. its certainly not perfect , but suits me just fine :) but these things are about personal tastes and needs!

I am also an AVG fan. It's light and simple and perfect for normal users. But then I moved to Avast and 360 IS. I felt Avast and 360 IS is little bit better :). But that does not mean AVG is bad ;).

Reactions: Behold Eck and Kent
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.