Battle Best Chrome alternative

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
Chromium / with Auto-Update

Reason: I prefer a completely clean base rather than a pre-done (bloaty) version, I prefer to add my own security and privacy methods and customize my browser with my own choices rather than pre-made by someone else.

tapoo

Level 4
Verified
Jan 21, 2012
didn't know that so many chrome engine based browser even exists. Only have idea about Chrome, Dragon, Opera....
i only use Comodo Dragon and Chrome sometimes [ both are alternative browser], my main browser is Firefox.

Reactions: nimd4

nishaddesilva

Level 3
Thread author
Aug 26, 2012
MrXidus said:
Chromium / with Auto-Update

Reason: I prefer a completely clean base rather than a pre-done (bloaty) version, I prefer to add my own security and privacy methods and customize my browser with my own choices rather than pre-made by someone else.

What are the differences between Chromium and Chrome?

MalwareVirus

Level 1
Oct 6, 2012
I think thread should be Chromium based browser

Add one more Epic browser in the poll because there are lot of fans of this new browser here :p

IMO
Chromium: The Base(Open Source)
All the thing started with it ,features you see in Google chrome comes after chromium.It is updated very often so if you don't like update very often use chromium updater or choose Chrome(Stable).In extention scenario there is slightly difference some time between Chrome and Chromium.Like some extention not working in chromium so they will be fix in next update.

Chrome:Google branded version of Chromium
Google chrome is Stable version with all the fix in beta process.If there is bug in Chrome then it goes to Chrome dev and at the last it goes to Chromium where it fixed and now it again going to Chrome Dev and then you see the improvment in Google Chrome via update or new stable version.

So if you want new things now than choose Chromium and if you have patience than wait for Chrome.
I like Chrome over Chromium.
Why ?
Because its colurfull unlike Chromium blue colour :D

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Don't forget Sleipnir 4, also uses Blink-engine.
http://www.fenrir-inc.com/us/sleipnir/
Available for Windows | Mac | iPhone / iPad | Android | Windows Phone.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
There really isn't no better Chrome based browser than Google Chrome, Google writes the code and the other clones just edit it with older Chromium core, none can keep up with the current because Google's fast pace development.

Second choice would be Chromium with Auto-Update, because it is not edited by third-party clone developers which can add security and privacy risks and other junk features. It is also released at the same time the open-source code is released because you can use the most current core without having to wait for third-party developers to edit and release it.

Thanks. :D

nishaddesilva

Level 3
Thread author
Aug 26, 2012
MalwareVirus said:
I think thread should be Chromium based browser

Add one more Epic browser in the poll because there are lot of fans of this new browser here :p

IMO
Chromium: The Base(Open Source)
All the thing started with it ,features you see in Google chrome comes after chromium.It is updated very often so if you don't like update very often use chromium updater or choose Chrome(Stable).In extention scenario there is slightly difference some time between Chrome and Chromium.Like some extention not working in chromium so they will be fix in next update.

Chrome:Google branded version of Chromium
Google chrome is Stable version with all the fix in beta process.If there is bug in Chrome then it goes to Chrome dev and at the last it goes to Chromium where it fixed and now it again going to Chrome Dev and then you see the improvment in Google Chrome via update or new stable version.

So if you want new things now than choose Chromium and if you have patience than wait for Chrome.
I like Chrome over Chromium.
Why ?
Because its colurfull unlike Chromium blue colour :D

Well there are only 10 options :p Also I read somewhere that extensions can't be installed on it.

Earth said:
Don't forget Sleipnir 4, also uses Blink-engine.
http://www.fenrir-inc.com/us/sleipnir/
Available for Windows | Mac | iPhone / iPad | Android | Windows Phone.

I thought it was discontinued. Seems it's still alive.

Littlebits said:
There really isn't no better Chrome based browser than Google Chrome, Google writes the code and the other clones just edit it with older Chromium core, none can keep up with the current because Google's fast pace development.

Second choice would be Chromium with Auto-Update, because it is not edited by third-party clone developers which can add security and privacy risks and other junk features. It is also released at the same time the open-source code is released because you can use the most current core without having to wait for third-party developers to edit and release it.

True story. Same reason I'm going to ditch Dragon.

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
I always wonder what other important security enhancements Comodo add to dragon besides the privacy enhancements. Like, did they enhance or add something to Chromium's sandbox?

Jaspion

Level 17
Verified
Jun 5, 2013
I always wonder what other important security enhancements Comodo add to dragon besides the privacy enhancements. Like, did they enhance or add something to Chromium's sandbox?
I think if there were any, they'd be advertised, don't you think so too? Since they can take a long time to implement security fixes that Google frequently brings, I'd venture to say Chrome is probably a good measure safer than Dragon and most other alternatives.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Comodo does not edit the Chromium core features and none of the other clones do either with a few exceptions like Maxthon and Sleipnir because they use AppleWebkit cores.
All Comodo does is add features by the extension platform. Which can be added to Google Chrome the same way by adding comparable extensions. The problem with Comodo Dragon is it is always behind at least 3 months or longer updating the Chromium core and sometimes uses unstable releases known to have bugs to develop from. As we speak now, Comodo Dragon is 4 months behind the current Chromium core stable release. That is 4 months of vulnerability patches that it has not fixed. So it is no way more secure than Google Chrome even with the added extensions features will not stop vulnerabilities from getting exploited.

The last time I checked, the only Chromium clones that use the current Chromium core are Opera and SRWare Iron.
Sometimes to consider before using a Chromium clone if you don't want to take a chance on getting exploited.

Many of these Chromium clones use fake descriptions and marketing on their websites. Like "More Secure Than Google Chrome" that is only if you don't count the open vulnerabilities they haven't patched. :p

Enjoy!! :D

Jaspion

Level 17
Verified
Jun 5, 2013
:oops:

Today's Web users require MORE than a Browser that is faster, nimbler and more stable. They need one that is secure too! In 2009 alone, more than 25 million new strains of malware were created, causing a 400% jump in compromised Web sites worldwide.

The Secrets Of Comodo Dragon Browser

:eek:
This is exactly why Comodo, the world's leading online security and trust assurance innovator, has stepped forward with Comodo Dragon. – A Chromium technology-based Browser that offers you all of Chrome's features PLUS the unparalleled level of security and privacy you only get from Comodo. Including a greater level of privacy than Chromium technology offers.
source: http://www.comodo.com/home/browsers-toolbars/browser.php

o_O

:rolleyes::p:D

But wait... :confused:

:mad: They're supposed to be a security company!

So, first of all: your mouse click matters (stay strong @n.nvt !) And staying safe may include not installing some "security" products. ;)

Shame on you Comodo! If they come out with proof that "no, no, our code is patched/bug-free" then I'll not only shut up, but redress myself and recommend it for all my friends. I'm waiting... :cool:

Reactions: Littlebits

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
:oops:

:eek:

source: http://www.comodo.com/home/browsers-toolbars/browser.php

o_O

:rolleyes::p:D

But wait... :confused:

:mad: They're supposed to be a security company!

So, first of all: your mouse click matters (stay strong @n.nvt !) And staying safe may include not installing some "security" products. ;)

Shame on you Comodo! If they come out with proof that "no, no, our code is patched/bug-free" then I'll not only shut up, but redress myself and recommend it for all my friends. I'm waiting... :cool:

Comodo Dragon and many other Chromium clones do offer better privacy features by the way of adding extension platforms enabled by default than what Google Chrome can offer without any added privacy extensions. But you can manually add privacy extensions to Google Chrome to block Google and all tracking sites and have a much more secure browser since Google Chrome patches all the vulnerabilities sooner than the rest.

Of coarse with Comodo Dragon you better read their privacy policy because they do collect user data and there is no opt-outs even with adding privacy extensions they still collect user data. Most other Chromium based clones also collect user data by default, so what is the point of blocking Google from collecting your data if they are going to do the same thing?

So most Chromium clones offer little benefits when it comes to privacy, they may block Google and other tracking sites but then they collect your data for themselves and can bypass privacy extensions. So it is important to read the privacy policies in detail to see if you can opt-out of data collecting.

Reactions: sunil22 and Jaspion

Jaspion

Level 17
Verified
Jun 5, 2013
Comodo Dragon and many other Chromium clones do offer better privacy features by the way of adding extension platforms enabled by default than what Google Chrome can offer without any added privacy extensions. But you can manually add privacy extensions to Google Chrome to block Google and all tracking sites and have a much more secure browser since Google Chrome patches all the vulnerabilities sooner than the rest.

Of coarse with Comodo Dragon you better read their privacy policy because they do collect user data and there is no opt-outs even with adding privacy extensions they still collect user data. Most other Chromium based clones also collect user data by default, so what is the point of blocking Google from collecting your data if they are going to do the same thing?

So most Chromium clones offer little benefits when it comes to privacy, they may block Google and other tracking sites but then they collect your data for themselves and can bypass privacy extensions. So it is important to read the privacy policies in detail to see if you can opt-out of data collecting.

Exactly. :D

I

illumination

Comodo does not edit the Chromium core features and none of the other clones do either with a few exceptions like Maxthon and Sleipnir because they use AppleWebkit cores.
All Comodo does is add features by the extension platform. Which can be added to Google Chrome the same way by adding comparable extensions. The problem with Comodo Dragon is it is always behind at least 3 months or longer updating the Chromium core and sometimes uses unstable releases known to have bugs to develop from. As we speak now, Comodo Dragon is 4 months behind the current Chromium core stable release. That is 4 months of vulnerability patches that it has not fixed. So it is no way more secure than Google Chrome even with the added extensions features will not stop vulnerabilities from getting exploited.

The last time I checked, the only Chromium clones that use the current Chromium core are Opera and SRWare Iron.
Sometimes to consider before using a Chromium clone if you don't want to take a chance on getting exploited.

Many of these Chromium clones use fake descriptions and marketing on their websites. Like "More Secure Than Google Chrome" that is only if you don't count the open vulnerabilities they haven't patched. :p

Enjoy!! :D

A lot of people on the forum asking about this, and the best answer "response" i have seen so far, at least made me chuckle, was ..
"When was the last time you have heard of anyone's browser being attacked from not being up to date"...

Seriously, read through CD "comodo dragons thread", and you will come across this statement..

I changed over to Chrome a while back just because of this, and it works just fine.. I have never understood the whole "leave google" to use a browser that's main search engine and web page were , you guessed it, Google ... Not to mention if you have the phishing and malware protection enabled, guess where this is from as well..

Now i know you littlebits, already know these things, but im stating them for others benefit..

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.