Battle Best Chrome alternative

Status
Not open for further replies.

l1nuxfre4k

Level 2
Verified
Apr 20, 2014
On Maxthon's address bar there is a lightening volt which switches between Webkit and Trident engines, Webkit is faster and is Maxthon's default engine but some websites don't display correctly with it, so you can switch to Trident for those websites. Most websites will fully support Trident since it is the most popular browser engine.

Browsers that use the Trident engine plug into Internet Explorer's existing engine and use IE's settings. So it is important to keep Internet Explorer updated and configured to default settings. SlimBrowser is the fastest browser to use Trident engine and is very light. Yes both SlimBrowser and SlimBoat are actively kept updated by the developer.

The Trident engine is very good, much better than it is given credit for. Older IE versions were really bad which gave Trident its bad reputation. Most common was the Active X vulnerabilities in older IE versions that allowed drive-bye malware to install without any user actions. But updated IE 9, 10 & 11 does not have those issues. IE 11 is a very secure browser now at default settings.

The Google paranoia started out because when Google Chrome was first released it tracked users and became a privacy issue.
Some users still believe it tracks them but most of the tracking was remove with newer versions and with changing settings and adding extensions you can control any tracking behavior. So it is really nothing to be concern about unless you are involve with some illegal online activities.

How much RAM does your system have installed? Are you using 32 or 64 bit Windows? You may need to buy more RAM which would solve the problem of too much getting used up. Most browsers with 25 tabs open will consume a lot of memory especially if some webpages have flash player. Adding a flash block extension might save some memory.

Thanks. :D
Yea i found the lightning finally, i didnt see it at all anywhere around first, then when i went into the menu and swapped to retro then i could start using it easy.
Any experience with it refreshing all open tabs? :p just did it again for me for some reason.

Oh ok, so thats how it works, they dont take the engine so to speak as they do with webkit and such?
Yea IE never had a very good rep :p, also heard its gotten a lot better then it use to, but still lacks after in speed from what i've heard and seen.
Gonna have to give Slimbrowser a try, how is it with extensions to that browser? is there any?

lol ok, think i remembered something about that privacy issue with Chrome, but never really cared about it hehe,
yea i agree, why even worry about all that if you are not involved in illegal stuff online? paranoia is the new wide spreading sickness :p

Well RAM i dont need :p, i got 16GB at the moment, i run all my tabs 25+ also like 2-3 WoW at the same time and i could play a Dota game ;)
Just sometimes when Chrome starts eating more then it should i get issues :D

Last edited:

musings4

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Feb 17, 2014
Opera is one of the oldest browsers on the planet, they are also one of the pioneer browsers keep in mind most features used in IE, Chrome, and FF come directly from innovations made by Opera.
Yes Opera next is based on Chromium Core BUT has NOTHING to do with Google.
And when it comes to Privacy then i take Opera over ANY browser out there.
besides that its a really good browser and most older computer users rate it as prpbably the best and fastest browser out there (Disregarding staged benchmark tests) But you do need to know how to use it and config it. Granted they do not have the budget like google or IE or FF for that matter, however they are still holding their own...
My gripe with Opera now is that some of their trademark features (site-specific preferences, tab thumbnails, tab stacking, etc.) are no longer implemented and being somewhat disregarded by the developers. I don't mind that they removed their bookmark manager with Stash in which they somewhat brought back on Next and Developer versions but those features I've mentioned earlier were the reasons that Opera was my favorite and default browser. Changing their Presto engine to Blink was a good decision as it pertains to site compatibility though. I'm using Opera Developer alongside Yandex browser, which I'm very impressed with so far.

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Comodo Dragon is an excellent alternative. Comodo softwares are trust worthy and yet free!!
What impressed me so about Comodo Dragon was it's fast responsive behavior when used on our XP beside it's big brother, Google Chrome. With my transition from XP to lubuntu, Chrome has found it's way back into my browser stable as it operates well on Linux! Meanwhile, on our Windows 7 & 8 systems, I've been amazed at Chrome's faster portable version which receives the latest patches. The only minor hiccup is that it must close after the computer's been set to sleep, & it's been left open.:rolleyes:
Dragons like playing in the sandbox!:D ..and might need to in between security patches.:oops:

Last edited:
Reactions: Venustus

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Comodo Dragon is an excellent alternative. Comodo softwares are trust worthy and yet free!!

You need to read some previous posts on this thread- Comodo Dragon was a good idea but they fail to keep the Chromium core updated, as we speak now the latest version is open to several critical vulnerabilities already known to be exploited. Google Chrome, Opera, SRWare Iron and Superbird are the only Chromium clones to patch these vulnerabilities therefore I don't recommend using any of the others.

I will not commit on the trustworthy part because most of you already know the truth about that.

Enjoy!! :D

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Yea i found the lightning finally, i didnt see it at all anywhere around first, then when i went into the menu and swapped to retro then i could start using it easy.
Any experience with it refreshing all open tabs? :p just did it again for me for some reason.

Oh ok, so thats how it works, they dont take the engine so to speak as they do with webkit and such?
Yea IE never had a very good rep :p, also heard its gotten a lot better then it use to, but still lacks after in speed from what i've heard and seen.
Gonna have to give Slimbrowser a try, how is it with extensions to that browser? is there any?

lol ok, think i remembered something about that privacy issue with Chrome, but never really cared about it hehe,
yea i agree, why even worry about all that if you are not involved in illegal stuff online? paranoia is the new wide spreading sickness :p

Well RAM i dont need :p, i got 16GB at the moment, i run all my tabs 25+ also like 2-3 WoW at the same time and i could play a Dota game ;)
Just sometimes when Chrome starts eating more then it should i get issues :D

The one thing you have to remember when using Trident based browser is all of the settings is control by IE's Internet Options, therefore you must install add-ons to IE in order to use them with SlimBrowser. SlimBrowser already includes a lot of extra features not available in IE but it also does support some IE add-ons, SlimBrowser does not support extensions but does include their own download manager, adblocker (support ad blocker plus filter rules), weather, password manager, Universal URL Filter: Block ad banners, flash animations, iframes or any components within any web pages by URL patterns, Built-in Popup Killer based on intelligent identification and pre-defined filtering, Built-in web form spell checker, online translation engine and more.

Even with 16GB RAM, that is a lot of things running at the same time. Might try closing tabs that are not important, save them to your bookmarks because you can find them easily, disable flash (flash block extension) and disable most of the extensions that are not important will decrease the amount of memory used. Online games like WOW will use up a lot of memory alone.

l1nuxfre4k

Level 2
Verified
Apr 20, 2014
The one thing you have to remember when using Trident based browser is all of the settings is control by IE's Internet Options, therefore you must install add-ons to IE in order to use them with SlimBrowser. SlimBrowser already includes a lot of extra features not available in IE but it also does support some IE add-ons, SlimBrowser does not support extensions but does include their own download manager, adblocker (support ad blocker plus filter rules), weather, password manager, Universal URL Filter: Block ad banners, flash animations, iframes or any components within any web pages by URL patterns, Built-in Popup Killer based on intelligent identification and pre-defined filtering, Built-in web form spell checker, online translation engine and more.

Even with 16GB RAM, that is a lot of things running at the same time. Might try closing tabs that are not important, save them to your bookmarks because you can find them easily, disable flash (flash block extension) and disable most of the extensions that are not important will decrease the amount of memory used. Online games like WOW will use up a lot of memory alone.

oh ok, never really looked for addons and such for IE :p, but ok it comes with a good addons then, thats nice, might be an option.
Yea i know i could have bookmarks, but then the sites could be just something i will visit a bit later, im like that, i need more something like an temp bookmark, that i could use to temporarily save bookmarks so i can keep track of them and dont have to have them open.

Yea WoW eats a bit, but still Chrome eat more sometimes :D which is just insane :p and thats just one tab.
True about flash, it eats a lot of memory right? eats and eats kind of?

I might upgrade my ram a bit also, think im stepping up to 24 or something, that should last me a long time hehe, i tend to have to much running of everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.