Votes: 5 4.4%

• Total voters

Trident

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
A lot of people here like being the guinea pig, it gives them something new to play with and the opportunity to possibly learn something in the process.

There is always a program that is the "flavour of the month" where it comes onto the scene and everyone and their dog has to try it out and rave about if for the next 6 months or so, in 2 or 3 years you hardly hear about it anymore, ala WiseVector.
I’ve seen many like this come and go and sometimes their forum turns into an abandonware where malware/scams are posted, and shared freely.
This was the case with Kingsoft PC Doctor, but also was the case with Rising, Baidu and many others. They appear briefly with a lot of smoke and noise, based on several “engines”, usually produce acceptable results and then disappear. Nothing new there really, you are correct.

It tends to leave sour taste in some users’ mouth though it looks like.

Trident

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
Recent av comparatives malware protection test shows that kaspersky's offline protection is only ~80%. Would that be a big concern?
It wouldn’t be a concern unless someone frequently travels and falls into an unconnected state and simultaneously opens untrusted flash drives. Such people better have a look at Bitdefender that offers better offline detection, although it should be kept in mind that for Bitdefender to offer this detection, the product should be updates almost every hour.

It just isn’t possible to maintain protection if the system is not connected and that’s the whole industry, not only Kaspersky.

monkeylove

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 9, 2014
I share your choice for # 1 -- using it since the beginning of the year. Though I pass on your 3rd and 4th choices (not too eager to place trust in any software under the influence of the PROC or Putin) !

Keep in mind the notion of "eyes" nations.

Reactions: Sorrento

Digmor Crusher

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 27, 2018
Keep in mind the notion of "eyes" nations.

Unless your a spy, working for a 3 letter organization or a super security nerd then the concept of a 'eyes" nation should not matter to 99% of the population.

RansomwareRemediation

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Jun 22, 2020
I share your choice for # 1 -- using it since the beginning of the year. Though I pass on your 3rd and 4th choices (not too eager to place trust in any software under the influence of the PROC or Putin) !
This is a security forum, not a political one. We are talking about computer security. Kaspersky is no longer "so" Russian, as its servers are now located in Switzerland.
Unfortunately Norton does not have a free version.
Greetings.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.