Battle Best free antivirus for Android--or no antivirus?

Compare list
Avast
AVG
Avira
Bitdefender
Dr.Web
ESET
F-Secure
Kaspersky
Lookout
Malwarebytes
McAfee
Sophos
Trend Micro
Other
None

Razza

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Aug 12, 2014
The thing is if you don't install sketchy apps you probably don't need a antivirus, saying that I do have Bitdefender on my family members android devices it more just incase they install crap by mistake plus you web browsering is protected by Bitdefender web protection plus it uses my spare slots up on my Bitdefender family pack 15 devices I got cheap.

Ads blocking wise adguard is good if SSL intercept is on, but DNS level ad blocking is going to getting more and more ineffective as time go on as more and more sites and apps are getting wiser and starting to use the ad domain for non ad content that is needed for it work.

I use adguard at home, I've noticed recently I have to whitelist more and more domains since they are using the domain for tracking/ads for legitimate assets needed for app /website functionality.

Reactions: TairikuOkami

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
I installed avg free version to my all family devices, adguard blocks ads inside the application and battery usage is normal even with the antivirus enabled so i dont see any downsides using avg

The main point i use avg is that it blocks malicious pages , gives me somewhat peace of mind

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
It is advisable to have an antivirus installed on your Android device as it can protect it from different types of malware and viruses. Although Android has some built-in security features, they are not always enough to keep your device fully protected.

As for the best free antivirus for Android, Avast and AVG are both great options. They offer a range of features such as malware protection, anti-theft tools, and privacy tools. However, some users might find them to be too intrusive as they collect some personal data in order to provide the best protection.

Another alternative is Malwarebytes, which is a popular choice among Android users. It offers basic malware protection and is lightweight and easy to use. It also offers a premium version with additional features such as real-time protection, scheduled scanning, and privacy protection.

Apart from antivirus, it is also recommended to have a VPN (Virtual Private Network) installed on your device to protect your online privacy and security. NordVPN and ExpressVPN are both highly rated and offer excellent security features.

In conclusion, having an antivirus and a VPN on your Android device is highly recommended to ensure the best possible security and privacy.

Reactions: roger_m and Trident

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
AV on android works differently compared to Windows AV. Most AVs just scan for known malicious apps, google store already does that on a regular basis.
The only advantage is scanning for malicious links, but you can do that with a good DNS. Another benefit might be a check for bad wifi/permission settings.

M4RT1NE2

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 19, 2022
At home on all Android devices I use Bitdefender, ( now in March my paid plan ends). When it ends I plan to switch to Arcabit Android Antivirus

Reactions: Moonhorse

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
AV on android works differently compared to Windows AV. Most AVs just scan for known malicious apps, google store already does that on a regular basis.
Trend micro can scan for malicious app pre install so you wont end up downloading the app at all

Currently im using adguard for android, with ControlD DNS + Trend micro set to hypersensitive mode for blocking malicious urls

Reactions: Trident

Trident

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
Norton 360 if you have premium you can also install on mobile devices.
Web filtering from Norton is quite effective, tested by opening links from my junk folder.

And similar to Trend Micro described by @Moonhorse it pre-scans apps before you install them. What I like about it is that web-filtering doesn’t require VPN to be created/used specially for that. Trend Micro also supports certain apps without VPN but I’ve found it to slow devices down. I would prefer Norton. But it’s not free.

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Trend Micro also supports certain apps without VPN but I’ve found it to slow devices down.
Aswell you cant use two vpns same time, so cant use adguard + edge, instead i have to use google chrome + adguard as you can use only chrome without vpn

anyways im back to avast on all family devices, tried f -secure but it drains battery too fast. Might give a norton a go later

Reactions: Trident

Trident

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
anyways im back to avast on all family devices
I didn’t like Avast because it didn’t block that many dodgy links - not as many as Norton, Bitdefender and Trend. On Windows it blocks them, Web Shield probably supports heuristics that inspect the page content. But relying just on its blacklist it doesn’t block a lot. Vodafone here in the UK uses the Avast base for its Secure Net and it rarely blocks something too.

My inbox is always overflowing with junk and this is what I use to test 😀

Reactions: Moonhorse
F

ForgottenSeer 98186

Security softwares for phones are terrible at preventing or detecting app exploits and in-app security breaches.

Bitdefender (or Norton) without the VPN.

Android security depends a lot, even more so than on a PC, upon the user's digital behaviors and how familiar they are with typical Android security issues.

Trident

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
Android security depends a lot, even more so than on a PC, upon the user's digital behaviors and how familiar they are with typical Android security issues.
Mostly depends on which brand/model will be chosen as well. Some deliver timely updates, others deliver one for the whole lifetime of the device (TCL 20 5G, I am looking at you). And yes, it depends on how inclined users are to download weird apps as well.

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
On Windows it blocks them, Web Shield probably supports heuristics that inspect the page content
I have seen similar to occur

My inbox is always overflowing with junk
Avast premium has this hoax filter, i dont know whats the correct name....but it lets you set up a avast as default browser and will warn you when opening anything from email, but after you pass this its lotto if web filter kicks in or not

not as many as Norton, Bitdefender and Trend
Trend micro on high / hyper sensitive will block better than avast, but often it gives false positives though

I can believe that norton / bitdefender does better blocking malicious pages aswell as they do on desktops too

Im just keeping avast for now, its doing well on malware hub too

Reactions: roger_m and Trident

Trident

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
Avast premium has this hoax filter, i dont know whats the correct name....but it lets you set up a avast as default browser and will warn you when opening anything from email, but after you pass this its lotto if web filter kicks in or not
Scam protection or something it was called… don’t remember as well. Trend Micro has something weird going on with Android or at least had. As you search, if the search result contains a dot, it will produce a block. For example if you type “malware.tips tests” in the search engine, a block will appear for “malware.tips” even though it’s not a site you are trying to open. I had reported this and they said it’s by design.

Im just keeping avast for now, its doing well on malware hub too
It is a capable product indeed.
I haven’t observed any difference on how much Norton and Bitdefender block on desktop vs on a mobile device.

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.