Advice Request Best free or paid Email?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
I still use outlook/gmail because all my accounts are linked to it. They are both compatible with most mail apps and free. Although they probably don't provide much privacy, their security should be quite strong since they are a both a huge company.

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
Mail.ru - my main email, the only problem is, that it is blacklisted by many services and even refuses MS emails most of the time.
Gmail - a common email, I use it as a spam email to register on forums, etc.
Zoho - I use it as a trash email, I post it everywhere and forward to mine. No spam surprisingly, just 1 email at the moment.
Yandex - as a backup, it is used to sync Yandex browser's settings.

Attachments

• capture_09142018_093006.jpg
    capture_09142018_093006.jpg
    177.8 KB · Views: 331
  • capture_09142018_093016.jpg
    capture_09142018_093016.jpg
    182.5 KB · Views: 329
  • capture_09142018_093029.jpg
    capture_09142018_093029.jpg
    207.4 KB · Views: 320
  • capture_09142018_093040.jpg
    capture_09142018_093040.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 327
D

Deleted Member 3a5v73x

Outlook as a free email with up to 10 alliases, and paid OneDrive Personal. I appreciate that everything is in the one place and so far in these 5 years making switch from my local email provider to Microsoft's, I haven't regret my decision and I am very satisfied.

nastavnikhe

Level 10
Verified
Content Creator
Dec 16, 2012
I use currently Mailbird Pro before I used the outlook and emclient .
There are no big differences.

notabot

Level 15
Verified
Oct 31, 2018
Protonmail and Tutanota are decent free options, but I have some questions about their safety.

What questions & why startmail looks better ?

I don’t have a strong view on this but, to the extent that their systems don’t have an audit that’s publicly accessible, it becomes a matter of whose promises one trusts.

For me I don’t want my emails to be mined for advertising and accessed by random contractors who may be booted in 6 months and haven’t even gone through proper background checks, so I’m between fastmail and protonmail for replacing current mail provider

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

re: Tutanota... this is concerning...
TUTANOTA IS COMPROMISED

Any experiences?

That link is blocked by my security, but further evidence may suggest this is correct. Their canary also disappeared. So I may be good advise to move on from Tutanota.

Tutanota compromised? - Security | DSLReports Forums

I also lean toward Startmail for being the ultimate in security. However I do not like the interface and it is fairly expensive with no mobile app available. But for pure security, I'd place my coin on Startmail.

Reactions: Handsome Recluse

notabot

Level 15
Verified
Oct 31, 2018
That link is blocked by my security, but further evidence may suggest this is correct. Their canary also disappeared. So I may be good advise to move on from Tutanota.

I also lean toward Startmail for being the ultimate in security. However I do not like the interface and it is fairly expensive with no mobile app available. But for pure security, I'd place my coin on Startmail.

Why Startmail though ? Same thing that happened to Tutanota could happen to them

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Why Startmail though ? Same thing that happened to Tutanota could happen to them

It certainly could. But research the people behind Startpage and Startmail and it may shed some insight as to why this is less likely. One can never be certain and almost always should assume the worst in cases like this. Msgsafe is really good though, maybe check that out. Countermail may be the most secure aside from Startmail?

Most secure email - Free end to end encryption | MsgSafe.io

notabot

Level 15
Verified
Oct 31, 2018
It certainly could. But research the people behind Startpage and Startmail and it may shed some insight as to why this is less likely. One can never be certain and almost always should assume the worst in cases like this. Msgsafe is really good though, maybe check that out. Countermail may be the most secure aside from Startmail?

Most secure email - Free end to end encryption | MsgSafe.io

It could be that they have a more pro privacy team, I’ll take a look.
However, from the moment there’s a court order, it’s binding, a founder’s views towards privacy can’t change that and the service will either comply or close.

Reactions: TairikuOkami

Tutanota is not compromised... You all are really going to believe a post from 8chan from November 29th? LOL

No it didn't? Tutanota Warrant Canary

Tutanota > Startmail

Pure security? Startmail is closed source and all encryption occurs server-side. Tutanota is completely open source, everything is encrypted client-side, and has an updated warrant canary on their website.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Tutanota is not compromised... You all are really going to believe a post from 8chan from November 29th? LOL

No it didn't? Tutanota Warrant Canary

Tutanota > Startmail

Pure security? Startmail is closed source and all encryption occurs server-side. Tutanota is completely open source, everything is encrypted client-side, and has an updated warrant canary on their website.

Every so often I stage a fake 'I lost all of my passwords' desperation recovery on all of the secured products I use. I even offer to pay for recovery. Tutanota a year or so ago provided a method. I cannot disclose that method here because I don't want to legally compromise myself and I am unsure if that method even exists anymore.. However I will merely state they had a way for me to regain access with a full password loss.. A major password product vendor (not bit warden or lastpass), actually offered a recovery method that was rather interesting. If I had a copy of the Appdata folder of the computer that had it installed on backed up somewhere they were able to fully backdoor me into the product. Bit Warden told me to take a hike and that my account was gone forever, which is why I still use them.

I like Tutanota as a general rule, but I do not fully trust them but to be honest I do not fully trust ANY email provider. So I still use Tutanota, despite all of that. But I do seek an alternative I feel more comfortable with that doesn't cost me to much.

Every so often I stage a fake 'I lost all of my passwords' desperation recovery on all of the secured products I use. I even offer to pay for recovery. Tutanota a year or so ago provided a method. I cannot disclose that method here because I don't want to legally compromise myself and I am unsure if that method even exists anymore.. However I will merely state they had a way for me to regain access with a full password loss.. A major password product vendor (not bit warden or lastpass), actually offered a recovery method that was rather interesting. If I had a copy of the Appdata folder of the computer that had it installed on backed up somewhere they were able to fully backdoor me into the product. Bit Warden told me to take a hike and that my account was gone forever, which is why I still use them.

I like Tutanota as a general rule, but I do not fully trust them but to be honest I do not fully trust ANY email provider. So I still use Tutanota, despite all of that. But I do seek an alternative I feel more comfortable with that doesn't cost me to much.
Fair enough. Have you looked into CTemplar at all?

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.