Best Free Software's For New PC (Archive 2014-2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
My list would be:

AdBlocker: Adguard
AntiEXE: NVT Exe radar Pro
AntiVirus: Sophos Home
AntiMalware: MalwareBytes or herdProtect or Norton Power Eraser
AntiPUP: Unchecky
Audio Editor: Audacity
Burning Software: ImgBurn
Disk Defrag: Auslogics Disk Defrag Portable
Disk Image/Backup: Veeam Endpoint Backup
DVD creator: DVD Flick
Editor: Notepad++
File Archiver: 7-Zip
File Recovery: Recuva
FTP Client: FileZilla
Firewall: Comodo Firewall or TinyWall
Image Editor: Paint.net
Media Player: MPC-HC
Office Suite: OpenOffice
PDF Reader: SumatraPDF
Remote PC: Teamviewer
Sandbox: Sandboxie
ScreenRecorder: Active Presenter (for desktop) or OBS or MSI Afterburner (for games)
System Monitor: Autoruns or Proces Explorer
System Specs: Speccy
Tune Up: Ccleaner
Torrent Client: QBittorrent or Tixati
USB Protection: MCShield
Uninstaller: GeekUninstaller
Video Converter: Handbrake
Video Editor: Lightworks
Virtualization: VMWare Workstation Player
Virtual Drive: Alcohol 52%
Web Browser: Vivaldi
Hev Kevadi that is a great list buddy. :)

ant_gamal

Level 5
Verified
Dec 30, 2016
I need best free duplicate file finder for win 10
I see recommendations in some site
Duplicate file remover

jackuars

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
Newest changes to the list

Added MCShield in USB Protection (06-07-17)
Added SHAREit in PC File Transfer (06-07-17)
Added Open Broadcaster Sofware in Game Recoder (06-07-17)
Changed Qihoo 360 to Avast in Antivirus (05-07-17)
Changed Avidemux to DaVinci Resolve in Video Editor (05-07-17)
Changed Kingsoft to WPS Office in Office Suites (05-07-17)
Changed XnView to FastStone in Image Viewer (05-07-17)

Last edited:

Deletedmessiah

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 16, 2017
Is it free?
The beta version is free. Even if its beta, it works like a stable version. No problem here. But I've read it has issues with some Windows 10 version.
The current version is abandoned because the developer is making new version from the scratch. I think new one won't be free. Might not fit on this thread.
Systemwide adblocker, check out hostsman. Might trigger some AV but its false alert, some AVs don't like modification of hosts. Don't enable any of hphosts though, screws up internet.

jackuars

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
Systemwide adblocker, check out hostsman. Might trigger some AV but its false alert, some AVs don't like modification of hosts. Don't enable any of hphosts though, screws up internet.

How does this work as an adblocker? Does the filters come with it or should the filters be manually added? Are there any default filters in the installer for adblocking?

Deletedmessiah

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 16, 2017
How does this work as an adblocker? Does the filters come with it or should the filters be manually added? Are there any default filters in the installer for adblocking?
There are some preloaded adblocking host sources. You can manually add your preferred hosts sources too but for me the default ones are more than enough. You can update hosts file with one click. Hostsman works like adway in android, if you've used it before. You can restore original hosts from backup option if you face any problem. And like I said above, be sure to not enable hphosts(3 of them) and chameleon(not problematic but unnecessary imo). Portable version available too.

jackuars

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
I see many of them suggesting AdGuard & uBlock. I would like to ask if AdGuard is freeware, because from my knowledge it is a trial software.
Also uBlock is not desktop application but just an extension, so that's why am not including it.

Thanks. :)

jackuars

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
There are some preloaded adblocking host sources. You can manually add your preferred hosts sources too but for me the default ones are more than enough. You can update hosts file with one click. Hostsman works like adway in android, if you've used it before. You can restore original hosts from backup option if you face any problem. And like I said above, be sure to not enable hphosts(3 of them) and chameleon(not problemati c but unnecessary imo). Portable version available too.

I tried it. It does seem to block ads, but then the placeholders that the ads used to be, now appears to be like this? Is it not possible to hide it completely?

KrFLV0N.png

Deletedmessiah

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 16, 2017
I tried it. It does seem to block ads, but then the placeholders that the ads used to be, now appears to be like this? Is it not possible to hide it completely?

KrFLV0N.png
To my knowledge, not possible to hide placeholders. Unless someone ports easylist in hosts form, if that is possible. The empty placeholders doesn't bother me personally.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016

KrFLV0N.png
only element hiding from adblockers can hide the placeholders. Other blocking methods can't
I current use adaway + peter lowe hosts file (system-wise) with ublock origin for chrome
I'm satisfied with it. it can block most ads, not all, of course
definitely much faster than adguard for desktop (paid) and more compatible, no bugs, 0 resource usage

Last edited:

DeepWeb

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
Archiver: TC4Shell
2nd opinion scanner: RunPEDetector
DNS benchmark: DNSBench
Hard drive benchmark: AnvilPro
Better alternative to f.lux/night light: Sunset Screen
Automatically detect/update drivers: SnailSuite
Tweak your Windows 10 Privacy: modzero fix-windows-privacy
Alternative to Samsung RAPID: HDDTurbo
All-in-one Visual C++ Runtimes from 2008-2017: Visual C++ Runtime Installer
Record your screen and turn into gifs: ScreenToGif
Control items in context menu: ShellExView
DNSSEC Client running Unbound: DNSSEC Trigger [Use version 0.12 if it fails to install: Link]
68 antivirus scanners in one: herdProtect [Download link]
Change Windows font: IconFont.exe [Use "Segoe UI Emoji" if you want emoji filenames ;)]
System Utilities: Privazer [better alternative to CCleaner which breaks your registry]
Torrent client: Deluge

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.