Best Free Software's For New PC (Archive 2014-2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rachella Smith

Oct 24, 2014
First to all thanks for sharing list with us. But I would suggest you to try malwarebytes antivirus software that help to clean virus , trojan and online threats from your computer.

jackuars

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
Hello,

I would like to introduce Toolwiz Time Freeze for you.
My team made more than 10 freewares :)
Here is a list right now.

Toolwiz Time Freeze
Toolwiz Mac Boost
Toolwiz Cleaner(CleanWiz).
Toolwiz Pretty Photo
Toolwiz Time Machine

Thanks.
James

I've added Toolwiz Time Freeze in System Recovery section after testing it. Very nice product.

I'd like to ask, is Time Freeze really needed if someone already uses Sandboxie? How is it better?

Reactions: AtlBo and Kent

jackuars

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
Great list @jackuars, what about of Virtual CloneDrive for Virtual Drive? and MPC-HC for Media Player :)

Virtual Clone Drive is a brilliant choice. Let me see if I'll put that instead on the list. Winarchiver Virtual Drive has the capability for 24 virtual drives which I haven't seen in any other, and also it can mount archives like 7z, Rar, zip etc, which means you can direct mount compressed files.

Comparing MPC-HC, it's very light, but the features in PotPlayer makes it more superior. But still a good choice. :)

JamesToolwiz

Level 1
Verified
Nov 4, 2014
I've added Toolwiz Time Freeze in System Recovery section after testing it. Very nice product.

I'd like to ask, is Time Freeze really needed if someone already uses Sandboxie? How is it better?

Time Freeze is working the file and disk filter level and it can not know which app is accessing your disk.
so it only can support to Discard all or Save all.

Sandboxie is running in the kernel hook level, so it knows what is this app doing. Sandboxie and TTF can work at same time :)

Thanks.
james

Reactions: Oxygen and jamescv7

Morro

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 8, 2012
I have a question about Glasswire.

I installed it this afternoon and it looks like a useful program to me. It was working in the background flawlessly, but after having rebooted the program showed a grey pictogram and gave me a warning that it did not work properly and it shut the program down. I tried to un-install and re-install it twice, but I get the same result each time? ( I un-installed it for now but I would like to use it. )

I am using Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit SP1 with fully updated drivers.

ald4

Level 1
Verified
Sep 16, 2014
Missing:

Notepad++
SpyShelter Free
FAR Manager

For browser I actually prefer Waterfox...Often working on 60+ tabs with 2 monitors. Chrome kills even i7 when it comes down to this.

Reactions: Sr. Normal

jackuars

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
I have a question about Glasswire.

I installed it this afternoon and it looks like a useful program to me. It was working in the background flawlessly, but after having rebooted the program showed a grey pictogram and gave me a warning that it did not work properly and it shut the program down. I tried to un-install and re-install it twice, but I get the same result each time? ( I un-installed it for now but I would like to use it. )

I am using Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit SP1 with fully updated drivers.

Please report it in the GlassWire forum. Ken GlassWire (the dev) will help you.

Reactions: Morro and frogboy

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
Great list. Qihoo 360 TS is real. I think it's the new avast in free security software only much better with the BitDefender and Avira definition engines there.

Not to stir a debate, but does Privacyware Private Firewall get anyone's attention in the firewall category? I've got it on 3 PCs, and it's lighter than air and only 8 MB. Combined with 360's extras like automatic shopping mode and anti-keylogging (love the automatic gaming mode too), I think this is a pretty powerful combination. I get that it's sort of a dilemma in that Comodo (in this case Comodo Internet Security not firewall) outscores PF in the Matousec tests (everyone else too), but does the Comodo firewall by itself measure up to PF? CIS is a-v and firewall. Anyway, Comodo firewall installs at like 100 MB or something I think. It's such a behemoth.

Is it possible to take Iobit 100% seriously? I would probably like the uninstaller, but the mess with Malwarebytes defs in the Iobit anti-malware back in 2013 was pretty nasty. I tried the driver updater, and it performs well and seems well written, but it didn't seem 100% legit to me. Last thing to have to deal with is butchered drivers. Uninstaller is the first thing on every installation for me for obvious reasons. For now, I am stuck with Comodo Programs Manager, which is a good program, but there are some loose ends there with development having stopped on the program.

Image editor...OK GIMP for sure, but Paint.net deserves a mention if you are into creating graphics with fun in mind. It's exactly what the creator wanted it to be...a better version of MS Paint. The plug-ins are pretty addictive I think. However, my underdog in this category is Inkscape. This vectoring program simply rocks in my opinion. I love the combination of it and Paint.net.

Toolwiz Timefreeze is on my list of top 15 freeware, but there is only one limitation. A recorded session (as far as I know and please correct me if I am wrong) can only be restored before a boot. The problem is that so many program installations require a reboot (and also updates). This limits the usefulness of TF to getting rid of a new program that doesn't suit me. Not sure about how 100% secure TF is too. For example, could malware lodge itself someplace where it won't be wiped out during a session if I choose to revert the system? Nonetheless, the program is so well written that I have to count it.

Big thumbs up for 360 TS. You saw it coming well ahead of the curve. Overall an amazing list, thanks.

Just one more plug for Private Firewall, please! If you are concerned that this program will not improve the security on your PC...it will. You have to get in there and fight for it, but once you learn how to operate a real alert based, low level behavior monitoring/net blocker firewall, forget about the rest. It's not as difficult to learn as it might seem, and it's amazingly rewarding as far as learning the deeper elements of a Windows based PC goes. Too big an improvement over Windows firewall + UAC for me to mention them (shouldn't have). In this light, PF pays for itself by giving you the ability to turn off UAC no questions asked and never look back...

jackuars

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
Not to stir a debate, but does Privacyware Private Firewall get anyone's attention in the firewall category?

Private Firewall was up in my list, but it seems the development has been stopped. I'd prefer a program that's actively developed.

Is it possible to take Iobit 100% seriously? I would probably like the uninstaller, but the mess with Malwarebytes defs in the Iobit anti-malware back in 2013 was pretty nasty.
Since they are 2 totally different products IOBit Uninstaller and Advanced System Care, I've nothing against IOBit Uninstaller, so am going to be impartial to it.

Paint.net and others you mentioned are great programs, but when I had to create a list, I had to choose one that comes on top when features, functionality, usability were concerned. Still, alternatives are most welcome.

Reactions: AtlBo

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
Private Firewall was up in my list, but it seems the development has been stopped. I'd prefer a program that's actively developed.

True. Not to challenge your choice, but is not Private Firewall built on a timeless formula? What I mean is, won't this type of firewalling survive anything the future throws at PC technology? It's good enough that I feel like it can be part of a PC security solution for a long time.

Support or no support, looking down the road, I don't think MS' plan to introduce a new OS every three years can last long. It seems like a very impractical plan to ask businesses and IT to buy into this. Sooner or later they're going to demand from MS their "bottle of Coke", so to speak. In this light, I really feel like Windows 7 will be a survivor. Even to a limited extent, I feel Windows XP (and Vista) will survive, too. When it comes to security, this, I believe, means Private Firewall is a very good choice for now at least.

Love Comodo Firewall, but, based on my last usage, which was awhile ago (6.3), it needs work. It's too clunky and thrown together in concept. CF was way too resource hungry for me at that time. Comodo seemed to me to be making alot of assumptions about what PC users want from security with CF, which would be OK if they were right, but I don't feel they have it 100% correct (or even 70%). Needs to be easy to use, which Comodo is at least trying to make CF, but it must be easily adaptable too. One other thing about this is that, although Comodo is trying to make the firewall easy to use, they really haven't succeeded. This puts the program in a sort of no man's land of confused and jumbled features. Probably partly why CF didn't run well last time I tested it.

Private Firewall is neither easy to use or adaptable, I admit, but it does have the one thing going for it. It's lean. Actually, I would say two things. It's also unpretentious. That said, all the protection is there and in a basically timeless formula. Unfortunately, it doesn't think for users or respond to their every decision (gaming mode or whatever), which is really what is at least in part (large part actually) required with a firewall. Who knows maybe someone will purchase PF and develop on that code. I feel certain PF is a good/solid choice for at least the next few/several years regardless...

jackuars

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
List updated. HTTrack has been replaced by Darcy Ripper, in the Website Rippers section.

Reactions: nissimezra

jackuars

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
Switched Best Free Disk Partitioning Software from EaseUS Partition Master to AOMEI Partition Assistant. The former has too many ads although it was good.

Reactions: frogboy
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.