Best Free Software's For New PC (Archive 2014-2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BearHug

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Jun 9, 2017
Last edited:

jackuars

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
To my knowledge, not possible to hide placeholders. Unless someone ports easylist in hosts form, if that is possible. The empty placeholders doesn't bother me personally.
only element hiding from adblockers can hide the placeholders. Other blocking methods can't
I current use adaway + peter lowe hosts file (system-wise) with ublock origin for chrome
I'm satisfied with it. it can block most ads, not all, of course
definitely much faster than adguard for desktop (paid) and more compatible, no bugs, 0 resource usage

Thanks for the interesting information. For now since only softwares are included in the list, am going to stick with AdFender which is good as far as freeware desktop adblockers are concerned. Except for the fact that the free version cannot filter ads across https sites :(

jackuars

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
Newest changes

Changed Everything to UltraSearch in Desktop Search (07-07-17) [Found UltraSearch to be extremely fast with lot of customization options]
Added FTP Client - FileZilla (07-07-17) [Thanks for the suggestion]
Changed MBAM to Zemana in Antispyware (07-07-17) [Zemana seems to be better than MBAM]
Added Iris mini in Eye Protection (07-07-17) [Plenty of configuration modes, and is not system intensive unlike f.lux]
Added Process Explorer in System Monitor (07--07-17) [Was a hard choice between that and Process Hacker]

Last edited:

jackuars

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
Updated Driver Backup/Update software in the list.

I'm thinking to modify the list to include 2 softwares in each category in case the first one is ad-supported to show a second one that is not. :D

Thirio

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Mar 3, 2017
Reboot Restore Rx Freeware | Horizon DataSys Corporation (y)
"Reboot Restore Rx prevents any changes made on your drive(s) by restoring a saved baseline every time the PC boots up.
It is designed for small public access computing environments such as classrooms, libraries, kiosks, and internet cafes.
Even when users download files, viruses, malware, or even try to delete registry keys, Reboot Restore Rx will restore the PC back to your desired state."

Reactions: AtlBo and given

jackuars

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
Reboot Restore Rx Freeware | Horizon DataSys Corporation(y)
"Reboot Restore Rx prevents any changes made on your drive(s) by restoring a saved baseline every time the PC boots up.
It is designed for small public access computing environments such as classrooms, libraries, kiosks, and internet cafes.
Even when users download files, viruses, malware, or even try to delete registry keys, Reboot Restore Rx will restore the PC back to your desired state."
Would like to know if it's better than Toolwiz TimeFreeze

Reactions: AtlBo and given

Thirio

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Mar 3, 2017
Would like to know if it's better than Toolwiz TimeFreeze
I'm using it for only a month now but I believe it is. It restores the OS before windows boots up and has strict mbr protection. An example of the mbr protection, I wasn't able to reset my windows 10 without uninstalling RX first (uninstalling was quick and painless though). I switched from Toolwiz TimeFreeze to RX because TimeFreeze would become unresponsive once it filled up 5 gb write cache, RX doesn't have this space limitation. Also you can update the baseline without restarting windows and starting all over again. I recommend you to try it it's very light as well.

Sunshine-boy

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2017
My new list:
1-ImageGlass(better than XnView, not buggy also opensource)
2-Dopamine audio player or JetAudio free
3-MPV-EASY Player or 5KPlayer
4-TweakPower, Wise disk cleaner, Wise program uninstaller, Wise Driver Care, Anvir task manager, SysGauge and macrorit disk partition expert free
5-CCleaner(for cleaning registry)
6-Simplewall or Rising Personal firewall
7-Kaspersky Security Cloud, ERP Beta(better than any Anti-Exe) and AndyFul/Hard_Configurator
8-Bandzip(faster than PeaZip also active development)
9-Yandex browser(bad privacy same as Chrome but no ads and cool features)
10-Everything(better and faster than windows search and Cortana)
11-Cameyo free
12-Protonvpn(works faster than windscribe but windscribe has more features) or Sentinel(opensource but Alpha and buggy)
13-Bitwarden or KeePassXC
14-Simple DNSCrypt(although I think it's malicious lol)
15-BCArchive or 360 virtual-vault
16-hwidgen
17-Universal USB Installer
18-USB Raptor
19-Telegram(no ads, ok privacy policy also open source) or Riot(desktop version)

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
5-CCleaner(for cleaning registry)
Most 3rd-party Software Uninstallers do this during the post-uninstall clean-up. Registry cleaning has no effect on boosting performance, so don't see why it's needed for a New PC.
14-Simple DNSCrypt(although I think it's malicious lol)
???
10-Everything(better and faster than windows search and Cortana)
Cortana is a digital assistant, with Bing search capabilities. Everything (by VoidTools) is local only.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
it creates a root certificate and uses some strange protocols.
If you do NOT trust it and call malicious, then why mention it in this thread?

Cortana does not slow down Windows. Does Siri make iPhones slower too?

Sunshine-boy

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2017
Here my new list:
360 zip (this one is connected to 360 security cloud and tell if the file inside the archive is safe or malicious, I love it)
360 driver updater(this one can find drivers that other tool cant)
Foxit reader
FastStone image viewer
Splash player+ Smplayer
XMPlay(it slike Aimp but much faster and also use BASS audio engine)
fx audio enhancer
Yandex or Brave Browser
Everything
Telegram desktop
OpenVPN GUI
Google docs
wise disk cleaner+wise reg cleaner+wise uninstaller
Simple Wall
Ldplayer
Bitdefender free or Kaspersky security cloud free
Download master portable! its the best free dl manager. dl it from here: Portable Download Master 6.19.2.1641 Free Download
Simple DNS crypt
Crystal disk info
Sysgauge
macrorit disk partition expert Free
WinCDEmu
Anydesk
HWiNFO
HWMonitor
Paragon Backup & Recovery Free
MSI Afterburner

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.