Best Free Software's For New PC (Archive 2014-2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
Big changes in favorites here lately:

1. Browser-Firefox. Is this v69 completely blazing for anyone else? I am using the portable, and it's awesome. I also found a way to run Avast Secure Browser as a portable, so it's a close second, but Mozilla doesn't bring privacy concerns. Google's presence in everything is wearing me out, even though I was content with it until recently.
2. Partitioning manager-Active@ partitioning software. I just like this software.
3. eBook/pdf reader-Free PC Kindle reader. Superb for managing and reading pdfs and ebooks
4. Evernote is free so I wish there was a category (maybe "Information clipper" or something), and it seems fair to at least make mention of the extension for Chrome, Firefox, and the rest. The extension is seamless and makes fast work of clipping. This is still a great application, although there may be a few tiny details that could be improved (color choice for highlighting instead of only one color). Just started using E-note, and highly recommend it for clipping articles and pieces of articles, pictures. Awesome.
5. Program launcher-Give me the simple truth and give me Binsoft Run! Awesome, and it's always there.
6. Disk cleaner-Wise disk cleaner free. Runs easily on a schedule. Doesn't secure delete, so I run CCleaner on boot and Wise on schedule. Then I clean the free space every once in awhile with CCleaner.
7. Anti-virus-Kaspersky Security Cloud. This is off the charts great. Only problem is it can't stand Comodo Firewall. If anyone knows the exclusions for them to work together, please let me know. I do miss Comodo auto-sandbox a little bit, but at least Sandboxie pro is free now.
8. Operating System-Let's go. Just got started on Linux. Don't know about the others, but I can say Manjaro is far better than Windows imo...right out of the box spyware free and blazing. Just a few things to do to get it installed and going, all in all about 2 hours for me not knowing anything. With Firefox open with 8-10 multiple tabs, the entire system is using less than 1 GB of RAM. Processor is plastered on 0-1% usage during all idle times. OK :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:. Yes, ditch Windows and Chrome OS on a box and at give Linux a look. It has really arrived imo. Manjaro is rolling updates like Windows, so I recommend it, but others will say start with one that updates annually or semi-annually. Great fun getting started, so I think I may be in for keeps. Seriously, no hitches anywhere.

Hey @jackuars, hope you are getting along well and thanks for a great thread here and for the work you put into trying so much software.

nikcave

May 8, 2020
came across this thread while looking for a decent parental control - saw qustodio... well, not exactly my favorite tool, unfortunately. So, maybe someone knows a relevant alternative? I've heard a lot about mSpy and it seems to work well with mobile devices. So, I'm looking for something that would be compatible to PC.

and, nevertheless, the list and the tips are great - found some useful tools

jackuars

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
came across this thread while looking for a decent parental control - saw qustodio... well, not exactly my favorite tool, unfortunately. So, maybe someone knows a relevant alternative? I've heard a lot about mSpy and it seems to work well with mobile devices. So, I'm looking for something that would be compatible to PC.

and, nevertheless, the list and the tips are great - found some useful tools
Hi nikcave, this is an old thread. There is an updated version of this thread at Q&A - Best Free Softwares for New PC

As for freeware parental controls, am currently not using any, and in the free version, I'm not sure if there are great alternatives. However if someone finds one, I will update it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.