Advice Request Best Free Softwares for Windows

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
Hello @jackuars. I was looking into managing graphics on a computer, and I ran across MSI Afterburner. This program is so good I think it could be worthy of a category, such as graphics fan/overclock control or something.

Using MSIA I was able to create a fan curve for a somewhat loud graphics card and achieve the performance I was looking for all with a nice overclock, also. Also, MSIA has a great overlay for monitoring performance stats during intense PC usage, such as gaming.

Thx!

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
Hello @jackuars. I was looking into managing graphics on a computer, and I ran across MSI Afterburner. This program is so good I think it could be worthy of a category, such as graphics fan/overclock control or something.

Using MSIA I was able to create a fan curve for a somewhat loud graphics card and achieve the performance I was looking for all with a nice overclock, also. Also, MSIA has a great overlay for monitoring performance stats during intense PC usage, such as gaming.

Thx!
MSI Afterburner is the gold standard, hadn’t thought to add this. Great suggestion!

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Do you use RivaTuner also? I think there is a thread that is close to being a duplicate of this one. Would a non-gamer find this app useful? I use it to monitor my gpu very closely---it's getting up there (almost 5 years old) and there are no viable gpu replacements around due to the extreme shortage.

It's a nice app for anyone with a discrete gpu--but not onboard igpu (I tried it).

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
Yes, I am in the same situation. I have an older gtx 1070, so I keep tabs on things using Riva Tuner. For an older card MSI Afterburner + Riva is manna as far as I am concerned. I monitor the card temp and the watts the card is drawing especially.

I play some games but most of them are capped at 60 fps and not overly challenging to the graphics card. For me, I like to keep the temp below 72C for a graphics card, because I burned one up back 8 or so years ago. The temp was going up to around 75C on that card fairly consistenly playing Silent Hunter 4. Newer cards are better durability-wise, but I feel comfortable at 72C. Helps to be able to see where the temp is at least...

Thx for the link...

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
Do you use RivaTuner also? I think there is a thread that is close to being a duplicate of this one. Would a non-gamer find this app useful? I use it to monitor my gpu very closely---it's getting up there (almost 5 years old) and there are no viable gpu replacements around due to the extreme shortage.

It's a nice app for anyone with a discrete gpu--but not onboard igpu (I tried it).

I use Rivatuner as well to confirm undervolt/overclock settings and temperatures. Since it comes with afterburner I find it invaluable.

jackuars

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014

Thx!
Thanks for the suggestion AtlBo, I will add it to the list.

plat1098, I'd prefer using MSI Afterburner, than the outdated RivaTuner which was last updated in 2014

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
plat1098, I'd prefer using MSI Afterburner, than the outdated RivaTuner which was last updated in 2014

Not true, RTSS latest stable version 7.3.0 was released on February 28, 2021 in order to be compatible with the upcoming Windows 21H1.

For those who aren't familiar with it, RivaTuner Statistics Server is a companion software to MSI Afterburner and among other things, can limit your framerate and displays one's hardware stats on-screen during gaming. The developers of Afterburner and RTSS run The Guru of 3D forums where one can download the latest Afterburner and RTSS, as well as the latest NVIDIA graphics driver, and many other software. It's a great resource!

jackuars

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
Not true, RTSS latest stable version 7.3.0 was released on February 28, 2021 in order to be compatible with the upcoming Windows 21H1.

For those who aren't familiar with it, RivaTuner Statistics Server is a companion software to MSI Afterburner and among other things, can limit your framerate and displays one's hardware stats on-screen during gaming. The developers of Afterburner and RTSS run The Guru of 3D forums where one can download the latest Afterburner and RTSS, as well as the latest NVIDIA graphics driver, and many other software. It's a great resource!

Thanks for the update.

I guess RivaTuner Statistics Server is different from RivaTuner itself, the latter of which, whose latest update 2.24 is shown/added as 2014 or prior in CNET and Softpedia, the largest software repositories in the world.

Tutman

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 17, 2020
This little free tool will monitor your GPU and even on dual cards.

1615589951647.png

1615589965969.png

Last edited by a moderator:

jackuars

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
I just don't concord with the pick of the torrent client (Torrent Client - Tixati), I really recommend qbttorrent:
Both of them are my favorites, and I've used them at length over the years. Feature-wise, both are top notch. What gives Tixati an edge is that it has an advanced scheduler for downloading torrents, where you can set each of your torrents to run at specified times during the day/night when you fall asleep.

I first came across this software, when it was featured as a top pick at Best Free BitTorrent client a few years back. My fellow editor has been using bitTorrents since 2003 and has a splendid article on How to Optimize your Bittorrent software for fastest possible seeds for each of the torrent clients reviewed, that's worth the read.

Freud2004

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jun 26, 2020
Both of them are my favorites, and I've used them at length over the years. Feature-wise, both are top notch. What gives Tixati an edge is that it has an advanced scheduler for downloading torrents, where you can set each of your torrents to run at specified times during the day/night when you fall asleep.

I first came across this software, when it was featured as a top pick at Best Free BitTorrent client a few years back. My fellow editor has been using bitTorrents since 2003 and has a splendid article on How to Optimize your Bittorrent software for fastest possible seeds for each of the torrent clients reviewed, that's worth the read.

I tested all torrent tools, you named I tested, even some exclusively made for Portuguese torrents sites with traffic shaping. During 20 years the best application for torrente has change, first was Azureus them came Utorrent it was the best, in this day's qbtorrent is the best tool.
Best speeds, ultra stable, skinnable, almost a standard in all torrent sites.
I don't see great utility in scheduler torrents, you can pause them if you want, is just something to me that doesn't matter.

ezgif.com-gif-maker (1).png

Fifteen years ago this was an application exclusive to Portuguese users, because we have a limited of international traffic, so it filtered all non-Portuguese IPs.
It was based in azureus. This tool don't exist anymore. Just a little story ;)

77777710.jpg

Last edited:

jackuars

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014

jackuars

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
Fontbase, I love how convenient it is to install Google fonts on the go while doing graphics design.

Great find! Added it. :)
Thanks for making this list to grow with amazing tools :p

Also replaced Sandboxie with Sandboxie Plus in Best Free Sandboxing Software

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.