Advice Request best way to submit False Negatives to Norton?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Like a Western!

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Apr 6, 2016
Hello

I prefer recent experiences please, like in 2022 at least.
i did a search on Norton community(forum) and it seems to be a known issue at least it used to be a known issue that they don't really take care of the submissions throught their submission portal.
lots of threads on their community forum people complaining that as it mentioned in the submission page their submission status should get updated up to 48 hours after submission is done, however that is not the case and after weeks and months their submission status is still analyzing.
there is also a submission method through the Norton program itself ( the quarantine > submit to Norton )

what is your experience with Norton submission portal and the quarantine one, please only recent experiences, i know Symantec form mostly responds to submissions withing 3-7days Norton submissions is the case here

well thanks for reading and appreciate any comments on this

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Never had a "false negative" with Norton Power Eraser, only false positives.

My experiences have been generally productive. Two software (HiBit Uninstaller and Sandboxie test builds) have always been flagged due to unsigned executables. What I've done since HiBit typically updates its version rather infrequently if submit thru the online portal. It has taken 24 to 48 hours to resolve--typically later the next day. If there are 4 "detections" by NPE, typically 3 will have resolved the next day and the final one maybe a few days later. That's fine, I know what these are anyway.

In the past, I submitted several false-positives involving a beta version of the Edge browser, which all resolved in a matter of hours, not days. My last interaction w/Norton was actually just a few days ago with HiBit v. 3.0.10.

Do you think Norton takes into acct. the location of the submission, based on ISP or use of VPN? I'm in the US with a US-based ISP. Maybe there's less "flak" there, I dunno.

Edit: Just ran NPE--and once again, I'll submit a report about HiBit to Norton. Sandboxie, I'll leave because the versions change much more often and release builds are signed.

npe fps.PNG

Like a Western!

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Apr 6, 2016
As for Norton, submit your FP samples here (Sample Submission | SymSubmission). You will normally get a reply within two business days.
Thanks, for the FPs as far as i know Norton handle them as it should, the problem is with False Negatives, Submission portal of Norton reported abandoned/dead by multiple threads in their own community forum, it either takes too long to get an updated status or it never does at least that was me and some other people experience who care enough to post in their community forum

However i'm curious with MT members experience with Norton and False Negatives

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.