Bitdefender 2017 final is here

Will you try a Bitdefender 2017 product?

• Yes, I will install the 30 days trial

Votes: 25 32.9%
  • Yes, I will buy a Bitdefender 2017 product

Votes: 14 18.4%
  • No, I will not try Bitdefender 2017

Votes: 37 48.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Solarquest

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 22, 2014
if they activated ransom protection on default, there would be too many FPs, and your grandmother would freak out.

I used Bit 2016 for 1 year and tested 2017 for some weeks.
Never had a FP from ransom protection..
If it really had many or even some FP something would be wrong and should be fixed...but ransom protection nowadays is a must and should be enabled on default.
Same for protection at boot to avoid bad ("mbr") surprises...unless it's not ready yet (in this case this should be highlighted in the settings).

P.s.My grandmother would not have freaked out since she would have had a good security training "in house". ;)

Axelrod Sven

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Feb 11, 2016
Ok i didn't know you could do that. I made a Bitdefender account for testing. At least there are option then. Thanks for correcting me.
No no, you're absolutely correct in your own way. A lot of people would think that they had to make a separate account to log in to BitDefender... and would eventually face the problems you suggested. It is a sad and scary scenario to think about it, but if people do have "dadada" passwords for their BitDefender accounts, then...well...

Reactions: SHvFl

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I used Bit 2016 for 1 year and tested 2017 for some weeks.
Never had a FP from ransom protection..
If it really had many or even some FP something would be wrong and should be fixed...but ransom protection nowadays is a must and should be enabled on default.
Same for protection at boot to avoid bad ("mbr") surprises...unless it's not ready yet (in this case this should be highlighted in the settings).

P.s.My grandmother would not have freaked out since she would have had a good security training "in house". ;)
I had FPs from bitdefender ransomware protection, with 2016 edition. It flagged Abbyy Finereader (converts image files to word doc) and I think I also had FP from macrium reflect.

Reactions: SHvFl

Tony Cole

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2014
Every time I've installed Bitdefender it goes well, then within 1-2 days (normally less) I get a BSOD, the 2016 version totally crashed the system and had to reinstall Windows.

ttto

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Sep 22, 2016
My cousins have Bitdefender in all their devices. Although, Bitdefender 2016 runs smoothly in Windows 7, Bitdefender Mac version was very slow, giving lot of problems switching on in macbook pro (taking a year for that), the same when running apps, and also drain the battery. I thing BD has a very good Windows AV, but needs to improve their Mac software. I have Norton Security in my Mac, and I don't notice any slow down or battery drain since I installed it.

Reactions: shmu26

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I had FPs from bitdefender ransomware protection, with 2016 edition. It flagged Abbyy Finereader (converts image files to word doc) and I think I also had FP from macrium reflect.
okay, kudos to BD 2017. the ransomware protection did not flag ABBYY or Macrium Reflect, it only flagged a certain rare and poorly coded app that actually deserves to be flagged, in my opinion, although in fact it is safe.
After reinstall, startup is slow but bearable. I guess you could call it slow but steady.

Reactions: _CyberGhosT_

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
okay, kudos to BD 2017. the ransomware protection did not flag ABBYY or Macrium Reflect, it only flagged a certain rare and poorly coded app that actually deserves to be flagged, in my opinion, although in fact it is safe.
After reinstall, startup is slow but bearable. I guess you could call it slow but steady.
It depends what folders you protect buddy. After i added a few folders i got detection for both sharex and qbittorrent. So the reason they have the module off is because to have any use you have to add folders and if you do you will get a lot of false positives.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Every time I've installed Bitdefender it goes well, then within 1-2 days (normally less) I get a BSOD, the 2016 version totally crashed the system and had to reinstall Windows.
I see what you mean. It starts misbehaving after a while...

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Sorry to see so many having issues, I have used it for years and not had issues.
I stopped using 2016 in sept of last year after deciding to opt for a slimmer config.
Up till then I had had no issues other than it was hard to install on Win10 x64. It's
Sept. now so it has been nearly a full year that I have been gone from the Bitdefender
scene, but BD TS 2017 does not have the install issues I experienced with the last version
I guess certain configs effect it in a multitude of ways. I have had none of the slowdowns
or issues reported here and should count myself lucky I guess. Having said that I don't employ
the boot time scan though with my setup it's not needed. The only FP I got recently was for
Postimage's upload app which I allowed.

askmark

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 31, 2016
Sorry to see so many having issues, I have used it for years and not had issues.
I stopped using 2016 in sept of last year after deciding to opt for a slimmer config.
Up till then I had had no issues other than it was hard to install on Windows 10 x64. It's
Sept. now so it has been nearly a full year that I have been gone from the Bitdefender
scene, but BD TS 2017 does not have the install issues I experienced with the last version
I guess certain configs effect it in a multitude of ways. I have had none of the slowdowns
or issues reported here and should count myself lucky I guess. Having said that I don't employ
the boot time scan though with my setup it's not needed. The only FP I got recently was for
Postimage's upload app which I allowed.

@_CyberGhosT_ Does this mean you have forsaken Voodooshield? :eek:

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
@_CyberGhosT_ Does this mean you have forsaken Voodooshield? :eek:
Not at all, that will never happen ;)
If your ever curious, check my config I am very quick to
update it if I change anything.

screenshot_14.png

Last edited:

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
there might actually be a very good reason why I had issues: I used to have kaspersky installed on my system. So the right procedure for me, before installing BD, is to run the KAV remover, which I did, but it messed up other things, so I had to do a system restore.
So in my case, installing BD was a calculated risk.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
there might actually be a very good reason why I had issues: I used to have kaspersky installed on my system. So the right procedure for me, before installing BD, is to run the KAV remover, which I did, but it messed up other things, so I had to do a system restore.
So in my case, installing BD was a calculated risk.
View my Config page, I had an issue after posting this with the firewall not staying activated ;)

Rohugh

Level 2
Verified
Jul 11, 2014
I installed BD TS 2017 on this computer which was running KIS. I only uninstalled KIS from the Windows Control Panel, I didn't use the Kaspersky remover, and had no problems and the BD firewall is alive and well and doing its job. :)

Reactions: Moi61

Moi61

Level 2
Verified
Mar 19, 2016
I'm just surprise a lot of members are complaining about Bitdefender. Maybe, I'm just lucky I am not encountering those problems until now. I'm even doing FULL SYSTEM SCAN while visiting this page. I'm really amaze of not encountering BSOD's while having MBAM Home Premium working along with Bitdefender now.

Reactions: jamescv7 and shmu26

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Bitdefender issues are likely case to case basis, I've saw many users using but no problems on the systen despite of many startup items.

I guess one or few conflicting components that can clash to Windows.

robin hood

Level 4
Verified
Dec 12, 2012
can't find uninstall tool for BitDefenderTotal 2017(installed a 90 day trial )but loose internet conection a couple time in day.(sorry for bad english.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.