Bitdefender 2020 Released

Vitali Ortzi

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 12, 2016
I think you are aware that, Symantec/Norton relies on machine power to sustain it's malware detection engine, they do not have as skilled developers/malware analysts as Kaspersky. Do not expect that to change. Symantec will likely not be an important player the way it was before the Broadcom acquisition (same with Norton). I wouldn't recommend using Norton/Symantec in the medium term (~2-3 years).
And Symantec "Broadcom"
Av engine isn't great but the management is very good at least in my use case 😊👍.
About bitdefender consumer products aren't that great , unlike the endpoint products.
Can't understand why companies always degrade the consumer offerings.

XLR8R

Level 4
Jan 20, 2020
fabiobr said:
Norton is still very good for home users and it offers good protection with latest version updates.

Who said it isn't good? It will remain good even after 5 years, should they decide to license BitDefender/Avira engine.

I am only saying that they are not going to be a technology leader in the future, like they were in the past. And those who aren't leaders in technology, they always remain in the "good" category, not the "great" category.

OTOH, their signature engine is still bad compared to the remaining components, and I expect it will get worse (provided they actually sustain it for 3 years and not go for a licensed engine).

Vitali Ortzi

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 12, 2016
Who said it isn't good? It will remain good even after 5 years, should they decide to license BitDefender/Avira engine.

I am only saying that they are not going to be a technology leader in the future, like they were in the past. And those who aren't leaders in technology, they always remain in the "good" category, not the "great" category.

OTOH, their signature engine is still bad compared to the remaining components, and I expect it will get worse (provided they actually sustain it for 3 years and not go for a licensed engine).
I'm more like a monk I don't use auto protect / proactive compenets of SEP .
And above was one of my reasons.
But the main one was to lower the attack surface.

Reactions: [correlate]

XLR8R

Level 4
Jan 20, 2020
And Symantec "Broadcom"
Av engine isn't great but the management is very good at least in my use case 😊👍.
About bitdefender consumer products aren't that great , unlike the endpoint products.
Can't understand why companies always degrade the consumer offerings.

Because, ever since Microsoft introduced Windows Defender, AV vendors know that their prospects in consumer AV market are slim.

The traditional free AV leaders like Avira, AVG, Avast, BitDefender decided to offer additional value by adding TuneUp/Firewall/Ransomware protection (et cetera) features to entice users to go for a paid solution.
The remaining paid AV vendors know, their future earnings will come from SMB/Enterprise offerings.
Guess where the majority of development efforts go?

Some vendors like eScan simply develop only an enterprise/corporate product, strip out some features and offer the endpoint client as a consumer AV product. This minimizes all development costs. IMHO this is the way forward for AV vendors (AFAIK Sophos has started doing this too with version 3.0 of Home Premium).

EDIT: Avast apparently also earns money through their Chrome browser bundling deal (installers for both Avast and AVG home products offer to install Chrome).

Last edited:

Vitali Ortzi

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 12, 2016
Because, ever since Microsoft introduced Windows Defender, AV vendors know that their prospects in consumer AV market are slim.

The traditional free AV leaders like Avira, AVG, Avast, BitDefender decided to offer additional value by adding TuneUp/Firewall/Ransomware protection (et cetera) features to entice users to go for a paid solution.
The remaining paid AV vendors know, their future earnings will come from SMB/Enterprise offerings.
Guess where the majority of development efforts go?

Some vendors like eScan simply develop only an enterprise/corporate product, strip out some features and offer the endpoint client as a consumer AV product. This minimizes all development costs. IMHO this is the way forward for AV vendors (AFAIK Sophos has started doing this too with version 3.0 of Home Premium).
True even Norton was Symantec guinea pig before the acquisition

Reactions: [correlate]

AYIZEB

Level 2
Verified
Oct 18, 2016
the ram will always be faster than the ssd or hard drive, therefore performance will not be affected, unless it is limited by the ram or processor, personally if bitdefender when testing it consumed much more ram than other rivals (eset, kaspersky) but I couldn't notice a lag in performance. Now each pc is a world with different configurations and components.

elquenunca

Level 3
Verified
Dec 23, 2017
Bitdefender maybe consumes more ram than eset or kaspersky but it is barely noticeable on the computer and although it was noticed I think it is worth a little more ram consumption and be more protected. in my case I use bitdefender, eset and kaspersky on different computers and with the AV that I feel more secure is with bitdefender

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
This would be an interesting thread, the psychology of protection software. The "feel protected" feeling is important and avoid paranoid behavior. It's part of my feel comfortable criteria in choosing protection software.

Sometimes even when you know the protection of distinct brands are close to a fraction of 1%, feeling protected will lead you to a brand instead of other. I personally try to avoid this behavior but it's quite hard.

Last edited:

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
This would be an interesting thread, the psychology of protection software. The "feel protected" feeling is important and avoid paranoid behavior. its part of my feel comfortable criteria in choosing protection software.

Sometimes even when you know the protection of distinct brands are close to a fraction of 1%, feeling protected will lead you to a brand instead of other. I personally try to avoid this behavior but it's quite hard.
It's better to keep what you have if it's working, or try how other solutions work on your system if it's not. 90+% of not getting infected is user behavior. That's why I use webmail and am wary of downloading even slightly sketchy software.

Vitali Ortzi

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 12, 2016
the ram will always be faster than the ssd or hard drive, therefore performance will not be affected, unless it is limited by the ram or processor, personally if bitdefender when testing it consumed much more ram than other rivals (eset, kaspersky) but I couldn't notice a lag in performance. Now each pc is a world with different configurations and components.
The issues is that it didn't free ram the when running a game or chrome.
Wich degrade the performance even more then storing the database locally "hard drive/ssd"

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
Yeah SEP unmanaged is pretty average and weak .
But the management server isn't bad but lacking some stuff like application hardening (isolation based security) better application control / per app exploit mitigation etc .
Unfortunately I won't use the Cloud (SES ) because of privacy concerns.
BTW where did you get falcon unmanaged ?
Do they sell to consumers ?

I think you're being a little hard on SEP. In the most recent MRG test, published 30 Jan 2020, SEP finished pretty much like it always has.... as one of the top performers.

1589810147661.png

About getting CrowdStrike Falcon unmanaged endpoint... hmmm... I thought I remembered Falcon becoming available to consumers -- much the same way that Cylance started selling individual consumer licenses. But when I just looked, I see no indication of that.

I've gotten multiple licenses over the years in two different ways. First, I work for a very large organization -- and the AV vendors really really want our business. So sometimes they sprinkle licenses around for some of us as part of their sales process. Sometimes they are just short trial licenses.. or in some cases -- like Cylance, they gave me a 10-User license that seems to be a perpetual license after going more than 4 years. I've had SEP for over 7 years. Carbon Black for a couple of years. I used to be really enthusiastic about trying everything that I got my hands on. Since I've never gotten rid of a computer, I run a whole lot of different products on different systems just 'for fun.' Although it's less fun than it used to be. I've 'gotten over it' to some degree.

And the other way to get the enterprise-grade stuff -- my organization buys quite a few enterprise licenses -- to check compatibility and interoperability with proprietary systems. And sometimes when an enterprise system is purchased -- they will give a certain number of adapted unmanaged endpoint licenses for home use. So I always angle to get the cool stuff to try out..

The legend RAM usage is what makes a product heavy will never go away, will it?

No kidding. Some things with little basis get repeated over and over and over.... And there is often little point in correction. People often believe what they want to believe. Confirmation bias.

Overreacting.
Norton is still very good for home users and it offers good protection with latest version updates.

Exactly. I'm the first person to say that Symantec and Norton may be changing direction based on corporate instability. But there is no definitive evidence of that yet.

1589813044125.png
1589813342346.png

In the latest AV-Comparatives Malware Protection Test (April 2020) and Real-World Protection Test (April 2020) -- only two products stopped everything.

F-Secure & Norton.

Vitali Ortzi

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 12, 2016
I think you're being a little hard on SEP. In the most recent MRG test, published 30 Jan 2020, SEP finished pretty much like it always has.... as one of the top performers.

View attachment 240248

About getting CrowdStrike Falcon unmanaged endpoint... hmmm... I thought I remembered Falcon becoming available to consumers -- much the same way that Cylance started selling individual consumer licenses. But when I just looked, I see no indication of that.

I've gotten multiple licenses over the years in two different ways. First, I work for a very large organization -- and the AV vendors really really want our business. So sometimes they sprinkle licenses around for some of us as part of their sales process. Sometimes they are just short trial licenses.. or in some cases -- like Cylance, they gave me a 10-User license that seems to be a perpetual license after going more than 4 years. I've had SEP for over 7 years. Carbon Black for a couple of years. I used to be really enthusiastic about trying everything that I got my hands on. Since I've never gotten rid of a computer, I run a whole lot of different products on different systems just 'for fun.' Although it's less fun than it used to be. I've 'gotten over it' to some degree.

And the other way to get the enterprise-grade stuff -- my organization buys quite a few enterprise licenses -- to check compatibility and interoperability with proprietary systems. And sometimes when an enterprise system is purchased -- they will give a certain number of adapted unmanaged endpoint licenses for home use. So I always angle to get the cool stuff to try out..

No kidding. Some things with little basis get repeated over and over and over.... And there is often little point in correction. People often believe what they want to believe. Confirmation bias.

Exactly. I'm the first person to say that Symantec and Norton may be changing direction based on corporate instability. But there is no definitive evidence of that yet.

View attachment 240250 View attachment 240252

In the latest AV-Comparatives Malware Protection Test (April 2020) and Real-World Protection Test (April 2020) -- only two products stopped everything.

F-Secure & Norton.
True I'm totally overreacting .
But it's because of my past experience with SEP not stopping some malware and heavy usage I had on a very low end pc(would happen to any consumer AV on deafult as well as a few endpoint products).
But sonar and bloodhound have been able to stop many more zero days then 90%+ of AV software (consumer grade AV ).
And it can be much lighter with a few changes even lighter then many AV software .
The only reason I'm harsh on it is because I really enjoy it and it's my daily driver 😁!
And I include some components of it to any security config my friend's use !

Vitali Ortzi

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 12, 2016
True I'm totally overreacting .
But it's because of my past experience with SEP not stopping some malware and heavy usage I had on a very low end pc(would happen to any consumer AV on deafult as well as a few endpoint products).
But sonar and bloodhound have been able to stop many more zero days then 90%+ of AV software (consumer grade AV ).
And it can be much lighter with a few changes even lighter then many AV software .
The only reason I'm harsh on it is because I really enjoy it and it's my daily driver 😁!
And I include some components of it to any security config my friend's use !
But the issue is that it's hard for many to use the Sonar and bloodhound because of false positives.
Wich there are products such as H_C and configure defender Wich I usually replace it with since it has better protection on max then SEP Unmanaged (only GUi based options) .

bayasdev

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 10, 2015
I actually uninstalled my BD trial because it started creating files in C/Windows/Debug and flagging those as malware, there is also a file called PASSWD.log that got filled with samchangepassworduser2 each time I turn on my laptop. Uninstalling BD just cleared those and PASSWD.log is always empty, maybe BD creating fake warnings to make users think the product is actively protecting them?.

stefanos

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 31, 2014
Bitdefender maybe consumes more ram than eset or kaspersky but it is barely noticeable on the computer and although it was noticed I think it is worth a little more ram consumption and be more protected. in my case I use bitdefender, eset and kaspersky on different computers and with the AV that I feel more secure is with bitdefender
You ( feel ) more secure..... ;) but the results on HUB is different from your feeling

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
I actually uninstalled my BD trial because it started creating files in C/Windows/Debug and flagging those as malware, there is also a file called PASSWD.log that got filled with samchangepassworduser2 each time I turn on my laptop. Uninstalling BD just cleared those and PASSWD.log is always empty, maybe BD creating fake warnings to make users think the product is actively protecting them?.

Very odd, I have not observed this behavior. I haven’t seen a single warning from BD since I installed it.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.