Bitdefender 2020 Released

Wraith

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 15, 2018
Im done with Bitdefender. Miss the speed i had with Eset.
This is exactly the problem with ESET. Once you install it in your PC, you'll feel the difference with every other suite out there. ESET just sits there without bothering you and you won't even notice it running. I don't know how they managed it but I never feel like a suite running on my PC. Every other suite I've tried makes it presence felt. Ever since I switched to ESET, I can't use any other suite for long. Bad boy ESET :geek:

Last edited:

L0ckJaw

Level 19
Verified
Content Creator
Well-known
Feb 17, 2018
If i'm not mistaken you installed BD twice and ESET once in three days? To go with flow, i guess we can expect another BD install tomorrow :)
I am a Malware tester, Eset is my main AV. I wanted to give BD a chance and they blew it.
Never BD again, made the mistake 2-3 years ago and they refunded me after 30 days because they in some way admitted the bugs.
So i wanted to give BD another chance but never again.

Reactions: Venustus

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
I am a Malware tester, Eset is my main AV. I wanted to give BD a chance and they blew it.
Never BD again, made the mistake 2-3 years ago and they refunded me after 30 days because they in some way admitted the bugs.
So i wanted to give BD another chance but never again.
Never again is pretty permanent. Companies change, programmers change, leadership changes. They aren’t single entities, they are groups of people who are doing their job, and most of them probably working hard to make the best product possible with the resources they have. It could be a very different situation in a few years.

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
The only problem I had with ESET was it was blocking HP printers from my network... I had to manually open an exception for every HP printer.. Otherwise no complaints. Very fast signature updates and very light. I had other problems but it was over 5 years and many versions ago so no point commenting about it :)

Wraith

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 15, 2018
The only problem I had with ESET was it was blocking HP printers from my network... I had to manually open an exception for every HP printer.. Otherwise no complaints. Very fast signature updates and very light. I had other problems but it was over 5 years and many versions ago so no point commenting about it :)
You could have temporarily enabled learning mode for the firewall and then again switched back to interactive or automatic. That should have created all the necessary inbound and outbound firewall rules.

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
You could have temporarily enabled learning mode for the firewall and then again switched back to interactive or automatic. That should have created all the necessary inbound and outbound firewall rules.

To me it was faster to just whitelist the printer's IPs. The problem was protocol filtering if I remember it right. No on my Eset machines right now so i cant check my config :)

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

This thread is absurd.. Ranging from a someone that keeps installing and removing it. To someone else that coded some janky fake malware and infected himself, to another guy that insists 200MB is all the worlds ram.

Absurdity aside, I've now put it on about 18 family/friends computers and have not had a single bug, single complaint, single issue. Machines range from a dual core ancient, slow laptop all of the way up to the latest threadripper. No issues. No bugs. No slowdowns. No gaming interruptions. Nothing.

I'm picky, I hate bugs. I will not tolerate a product that even slows my systems by 1%. So far, BD2020 seems very solid, lightweight, and the systems it has been put on feel snappier than ever before. Perhaps even snappier than the Panda it replaced. This is the best product BD has ever produced IMO, and at the price it's offered on Newegg and other deal sites - everything else is now in the dust.

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
Every year I give Bitdefender a try to see how it has improved and I almost always immediately uninstall it because of network slowdown, surprisingly this 2020 release has fixed this annoying problem for me, so I can confirm what @ForgottenSeer 58943 said about the firewall.

The product is running fantastic on my machine, very low system usage and everything is blazing fast; I am loving the simplicity and the auto pilot feature, it is refreshing to see a security solution that you dont need to keep babysitting it.

I think Bitdefender is a excellent alternative for Norton lovers, it has the same ease to use style with great online dashboard plus a better offline protection and false positive rates.

The only thing that is keeping me for giving it a perfect score is some "bug" with Firefox; I am experiencing a very slow first TLS handshake (5 ~ 10 seconds) to connect to a website, after this initial slowdown ("Performing a TLS handshake" ) the browsing is fast and this behavior wont occur until the next Firefox restart.

This is a good report.... and caused me to try Bitdefender.

I last tried Bitdefender long ago, maybe 5 or 6 years ago. At that time on my system, it seemed like beta software. Lots of hiccups and glitches.

But I've kept my eye on Bitdefender, 'cause like Kaspersky, like Norton, it's very often at the top of the detection tests.

I downloaded it on a computer that I have Cylance on. I turned Cylance off to install Bit.

First, Bit has come a LONG WAY since I last tried it. I like it. I like it more than I thought I would.

But..... It did seem to slow my startup by a few seconds... but for me, that's nothing... small cost for good protection. Really, that's nothing.

And, when I ran a scan, the scan had a few pauses that were longer than one would normally expect. Again, no big deal. And maybe there is a valid reason that occurred. Again, that's really nothing.

And I turned on Cylance to see if they can work together. And.... they do. At least in this short time period -- no issues at all.

I won't keep it as I have WAY more AVs than I do computers.... but I wanted to try it out. The reports here got the best of my curiosity. And I'm glad I did. Although my tryout will be of short duration, at least at this point, the improvements seem well done.

From my short duration trial -- Bitdefender is the real deal.

The weird MT part of me wants to keep Bitdefender even though I don't need it. But I like it..

This thread is absurd.. Ranging from a someone that keeps installing and removing it.

Reminds me of a guy I used to "know" at Wilders.... 'Mortal Raptor' -- who would install and uninstall endlessly while throwing out sometimes ridiculous assertions... But he was a good dude though.

novocaine

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Aug 19, 2016
just tried this, and it catches something I didn't expect before. a malware was on my system. first 2 days, my system was slightly heavier but now it's been running 3 days, and everything goes smooth, no slow down, BD still uses 200mb++ RAM though, try give it more times.

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
This is exactly the problem with ESET. Once you install it in your PC, you'll feel the difference with every other suite out there. ESET just sits there without bothering you and you won't even notice it running. I don't know how they managed it but I never feel like a suite running on my PC. Every other suite I've tried makes it presence felt. Ever since I switched to ESET, I can't use any other suite for long. Bad boy ESET :geek:
This is so true. Installed BD 2020 few days ago. They have yet to fix a 8 years old bug, also changed the host file to default without asking me. So, after some more testing uninstalled after two hours. Then installed Norton. Overall it was nice, didn't like some things but nothing annoying. I was pretty sure I'm gonna use it for 30 days till the trial runs out. Two days later, I went back to Eset again. Bad boy ESET :geek:

Venustus

Level 59
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
The product is
This is so true. Installed BD 2020 few days ago. They have yet to fix a 8 years old bug, also changed the host file to default without asking me. So, after some more testing uninstalled after two hours. Then installed Norton. Overall it was nice, didn't like some things but nothing annoying. I was pretty sure I'm gonna use it for 30 days till the trial runs out. Two days later, I went back to Eset again. Bad boy ESET :geek:
I tend to do the same thing....But in my case I keep going back to Kaspersky:oops:

Venustus

Level 59
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
I used to do the same, but now I use F Secure. It has very few options to set, and the older I get the more that suits me ! Kaspersky, Norton and particularly Eset have WAY too many options to get my head around.
I used F Secure in the past...It was and is a very good solution!... (y)
PS:I wish they would bring back their firewall module

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
This thread is absurd.. Ranging from a someone that keeps installing and removing it. To someone else that coded some janky fake malware and infected himself, to another guy that insists 200MB is all the worlds ram.

Absurdity aside, I've now put it on about 18 family/friends computers and have not had a single bug, single complaint, single issue. Machines range from a dual core ancient, slow laptop all of the way up to the latest threadripper. No issues. No bugs. No slowdowns. No gaming interruptions. Nothing.

I'm picky, I hate bugs. I will not tolerate a product that even slows my systems by 1%. So far, BD2020 seems very solid, lightweight, and the systems it has been put on feel snappier than ever before. Perhaps even snappier than the Panda it replaced. This is the best product BD has ever produced IMO, and at the price it's offered on Newegg and other deal sites - everything else is now in the dust.

I have said in my very first post that Bitdefender did it right this time. Yes, it is fast and stable. The "issues", if we can consider them so, are minor nor serious ones and one can live with them and they might be fixed in coming updates. Regarding ram consumption, yes it is surprising to see BD consuming the third of what it was consuming in earlier versions. I don't know how you interpert other's posts but I don't think this post is "absurd".

L0ckJaw

Level 19
Verified
Content Creator
Well-known
Feb 17, 2018
@ForgottenSeer 58943 isnt this what a forum is build for ? Discussions, Experience ? As i can recall you biased alot of programs too.
So telling this is absurd is not done. This isn't a forum build for happy sweet talk.

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
@ForgottenSeer 58943 isnt this what a forum is build for ? Discussions, Experience ? As i can recall you biased alot of programs too.
So telling this is absurd is not done. This isn't a forum build for happy sweet talk.

Even before registering to this forum, I did read many of his posts recommending a security config e.g. Heimdal + A + B (this is unbeatable). Then the next week he starts complaining about what he did recommend himself. Not for once but over and over again. I am sorry for my "harsh" post. But I don't like it when it gets off the way.

novocaine

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Aug 19, 2016
just tried this, and it catches something I didn't expect before. a malware was on my system. first 2 days, my system was slightly heavier but now it's been running 3 days, and everything goes smooth, no slow down, BD still uses 200mb++ RAM though, try give it more times.
Capture.PNG

today it's reduced a lot

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.