Bitdefender 2020 Released

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
It's my experience that Bitdefender's memory footprint will go down after a few days of use. I have no idea what it does in the first few days after install. Probably optimizing itself.

Anyway Windows is efficient when managing memory. And high memory usage does not mean a program is heavy.

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
My only concern with using BD now is the resetting of the Host file. Does anyone use it with Windscribe successfully? Or another VPN? I have had zero issues with VPNs with ESET.

I am using it with Windscribe Pro (IKEv2) with no problems so far.

About the host file, if you are not using it for blocking ad (you shouldnt), there is no reason to worry, it is a feature from BD to avoid malicious tampering and you can disable it if you really need to.

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
I am using it with Windscribe Pro (IKEv2) with no problems so far.

About the host file, if you are not using it for blocking ad (you shouldnt), there is no reason to worry, it is a feature from BD to avoid malicious tampering and you can disable it if you really need to.
Thanks, that clears things up a bit.

Wraith

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 15, 2018
@blackice I don't use windscribe but I do have a custom hosts file from mvps. Do you encounter any problems with windscribe if Bitdefender resets the hosts file? I think it's actually helpful to protect the hosts file. I have a hips rule set up in ESET to protect the hosts file from any changes.

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
@blackice I don't use windscribe but I do have a custom hosts file from mvps. Do you encounter any problems with windscribe if Bitdefender resets the hosts file? I think it's actually helpful to protect the hosts file. I have a hips rule set up in ESET to protect the hosts file from any changes.
I haven’t tried it, people just mentioned it as an issue. ESET is fine for me right now, but I may try it on the family computers once licenses run out.

Last edited:

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
I haven’t tried it, people just mentioned it as an issue. ESET is fine for me right now, but I may try it on the family computers once licenses run out.
Well, protecting host files from unwanted changes is of course a positive thing to do but I mentioned changing of host file as a problem because it changed the host file to default after installing Bitdefender and didn't even notify me. Anyone who uses a modified host file and install Bitdefender wouldn't have any idea unless they check Bitdefender's activity page or manually check the host file. On Eset I don't have any HIPS rule to block the modification of host file but when I try to change it, HIPS alert me anyway asking if I wanna allow this change.

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
Is the only 'real' difference between Antivirus Plus and Internet Security the firewall? The rest seems like fluff. I'm generally fine with windows firewall since we are behind our secured router most of the time anyway.

Pretty much the firewall, the rest is fluff like you said, if you dont have multiple devices just go with Antivirus Plus version.

I am using the Total Security version because I got the key from a promo, but I wouldnt buy it.

For Firefox 68 users, are you experiencing some initial slow TLS handshake? Even with SSL scan off it is slow for me (clean Windows 10 machine).

It wasnt a bug with Bitdefender, it was something related to my machine that Windows 10 Reset feature couldnt fix, but I made a clean installation and the problem disappeared.

Bitdefender is running great here, finally I can say that.

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
No one here on MT ever questioned Bitdefender's protection capabilities because we all know it is decent. All of us complained about some serious bugs and high ram usage. Now after a few days, Bitdefender is just amazing. Good pricing (not on their store for sure), great protection, light and in 2020 no annoying bugs. I know some people still don't like it and I understand it. I am happy with it.

Wraith

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 15, 2018
Finally I'll get the chance to test BD 2020 for 90 days. My family PC ESET license ran out today. I did a clean install of windows and put BD TS 2020 in it. It's an ancient PC with i5 2500K, 8GB RAM and a 120GB SSD. Let's see how it goes fellas.

There is no reason to worry about RAM usage and this drop isnt because of Photon, it is just Bitdefender placing unused signatures in the PageFile.

No magic tricks there ...
What if I have pagefile disabled since I have 8GB RAM?

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
Do not do it!!

Contrary to popular belief, Windows 10 is a modern operating system with a robust ram/resources management; Pagefile will only be used if there is a need to do so.

Many problems that users have with Windows nowadays is because of "tweaking" and "optimizing", there is no need to do that for the most part, just leave Windows alone.

Bitdefender has a huge database (like many other solutions), so the engine must load this resource somewhere and there is no best place than the RAM.

Wraith

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 15, 2018
I generally keep the page file disabled since it'll reduce the wear on the SSD. And this PC is only used for surfing the net, nothing more.

Reactions: Divine_Barakah

RoboMan

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Almost two weeks using BitDefender Total Security 2020. Two days ago I clean installed Windows just because I found a really nice Gaming-Optimized Windows 10 1903 version. The very first thing I installed was BitDefender. Since the very first day of installation of this version I have been amazed. And I'm an ex ESET user, and ex Kaspersky. I really cannot feel this version of the antivirus, it's just like if it was not there. Unlike other AV, you click the icon and it immediately pops up, no waiting times or lags, plus the interface is clean and easy to use. I'd like to detail the pro's and con's I found for myself:

PRO'S:
  • Automatic update is smooth now (used to have issues)
  • Best signatures in the market
  • Amazing resource use (cannot be felt, personally lighter than ESET if configured to scan only on access)
  • Quick and smart disinfection (it didn't lag my PC for it)
  • Fast quick scan
  • Can schedule AppData scans
The following are personal facts I find like PRO's:
  • Safe files vault
  • Secure Eraser
  • Rescue Enviroment
  • Wi-Fi Security and Vulnerability Scan
  • Ransomware Remediation
  • Webcam and Mic protection (can either block or warn it's being used)
  • Anti-Tracker (like Kaspersky)
  • Notification Center (divided in ALL, CRITICAL, WARNING, INFORMATION)
  • Option for a security widget
CON'S:
  • System scan takes kind-of long (gets better with each scan)
  • Encrypted Web Scan still blocks safe sites (can manually allow)
  • Useless Utilities (I personally find them useless, like One-Click Optimizer, Disk Cleanup, although Startup Optimizer seems good)
  • Lack of tweaking options (it's really solid but I wish I had more tweaking options, it's just ON or OFF)
What I would really like: they used Kaspersky-like style when tweaking. I wish BitDefender had the option to change the security level within each module, just like KIS allows you to do, for example choosing WEB SECURITY low, medium, or high, please infinite tweaking options to make your own security version out of the product.

Overall, I'm amazed with it. BitDefender has overcame theirselves this year and are offering the very first version of 2020 with a whole new horizon. I'm pretty sure that a couple of more patches will make them back to the top. For those having trouble, I strongly suggest installing BitDefender on a clean install and you will see the difference.

1564335237481.png

1564335291773.png
1564335386237.png

1564335415352.png

1564335431961.png
1564335544202.png

1564335563403.png

1564335578284.png

1564335589892.png
1564335689683.png

1564335700314.png

1564335721447.png
1564335789403.png

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.