Battle Bitdefender Free vs AVG Free (Other Suggestions Welcome) to run with Comodo Firewall?

Arequire

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
Since I'm currently unable to use Avast due to a conflict with Comodo Firewall BSODing my PC I'm looking to switch AV's. I generally have issues with most free AVs but if I had to choose two to replace Avast it would be either Bitdefender or AVG, so I'm here asking y'all to decide for me. Feel free to choose something completely different than either of the two I've listed and give your reasons why you recommend it.
I will be pairing whatever AV is chosen with Comodo Firewall which is there to catch any zero-days the AV misses.

Here's a very short, condensed list of issues I have with the free AVs before you cast your vote:
  • Avast - BSOD on shutdown/restart (CF conflict :()
  • AVG - Forced AVG Zen, Dislike their privacy policy
  • Avira - Ugly, outdated UI, full scan gets stuck in a loop, automatic quick scan on malware detection, Forced Avira Launcher
  • Bitdefender - No settings to fiddle with
  • Comodo Cloud - Poor detection, pointless when running CF
  • Fortinet - No PUP detection
  • Microsoft Security Essentials - Poor detection
  • Panda - Bug makes UI disappear
  • Qihoo - False positives and nag heavy (As far as I can tell their HIPS doesn't discriminate between good and bad programs)
  • Sophos Home - No quarantine (Automatic deletion of files o_O)
  • Tencent - Considered a PUP, installs a bunch of other junk with its install

Last edited:

Rolo

Level 18
Verified
Jun 14, 2015
Since I'm currently unable to use Avast due to a conflict with Comodo Firewall BSODing my PC I'm looking to switch AV's.
Though my experience with both products has been system-breaking bugs, I would have to suggest that this is an issue with running two products that overlap rather than a fault of either product. Also from my experience, I'd suspect Comodo before Avast.

Also by my experience, AVG is heavy and I've had to perform remediation on far too many PCs running AVG.

Avira's nags nagged me to rule it out entirely; I don't care even if it were to have 100% detection/remediation rate. (Does it still nag?)

I had to ditch Panda; it's also buggy--same problem you had with Avira (scan gets stuck) and some other system-breaking issues. Before encountering these issues, I did choose it for a client's xp box over Qihoo (can't have client calling me at every false-positive or getting desensitized to security prompts and there aren't that many options for xp anymore). Odd thing is that it was light on the dinky 15-year-old Dell but it was heavy on my 4.2GHz i5, 24GB RAM homebrew.

Qihoo: yes, false-positive Hell

Though I only ran it briefly and did not specifically test Sophos, the labs show a low detection rate. It's lack of client-side options is useful in a managed context, so not necessarily the right tool for the job here rather than poor design.

I'm using Bitdefender Free. I like it. It's light and you can set exclusions and toggle it. More settings doesn't mean more effectiveness.

Arequire

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
Does it work now? If not, you can disable Avast BS until they fix the problem.
I've tried it with and without the behavioural shield installed. It still BSOD's.
Though my experience with both products has been system-breaking bugs, I would have to suggest that this is an issue with running two products that overlap rather than a fault of either product. Also from my experience, I'd suspect Comodo before Avast.

Also by my experience, AVG is heavy and I've had to perform remediation on far too many PCs running AVG.

Avira's nags nagged me to rule it out entirely; I don't care even if it were to have 100% detection/remediation rate. (Does it still nag?)

I had to ditch Panda; it's also buggy--same problem you had with Avira (scan gets stuck) and some other system-breaking issues. Before encountering these issues, I did choose it for a client's xp box over Qihoo (can't have client calling me at every false-positive or getting desensitized to security prompts and there aren't that many options for xp anymore). Odd thing is that it was light on the dinky 15-year-old Dell but it was heavy on my 4.2GHz i5, 24GB RAM homebrew.

Qihoo: yes, false-positive Hell

Though I only ran it briefly and did not specifically test Sophos, the labs show a low detection rate. It's lack of client-side options is useful in a managed context, so not necessarily the right tool for the job here rather than poor design.

I'm using Bitdefender Free. I like it. It's light and you can set exclusions and toggle it. More settings doesn't mean more effectiveness.
The question I have is where the overlap is. First, the BSOD is only happens at the very end of the shutdown. Second, the previous version of Avast ran perfectly paired with Comodo Firewall. Besides the UI, the only major addition is the behavioural shield, but I've ruled that out as the cause.

D

Deleted member 2913

I would suggest you to use CFW only, if you are using CFW, I take it that you know how to work with CFW, so customize it or use cruelsister settings.

Currently I am running CFW only (proactive config + customization) And it runs super light here And I honestly think you dont need an AV with CFW customized, Cloud AV part is sufficient. I have diabled UAC & smart screen But thats up-to you.

Dont think an AV or high detection is absolutely required. As mentioned above, I take it you know how to work with CFW, so my honest suggestion, customize CFW (mention your customization here & users will help you) or use cruelsister settings & give it a try for few days...you may find it good, effective & enough And no need an AV.

My & cruelsister settings are kinda same i.e difference is, I use autosandbox default And cruelsister suggest to edit to restricted, And I set ViruScope to monitor only sandboxed programs, dont know what cruelsister suggests on this?

I know how to work with CFW.
I use autosandbox default coz I know how effective plus usable it is especially in a real world scenario & especially for a home user Plus I try most of the programs in the sandbox first to know if the installers have PUP, hows the GUI, options, etc And almost all the programs I try work in the sandbox i.e dont break And I can reveiw them.
I set ViruScope to monitor sandboxed programs only, as I said I know how to work with CFW, so trusted programs running outside sandbox And I dont want ViruScope to monitor trusted programs & unnecessary resource usage or FPs.

Depends, how good are you with CFW? And go with your customization or cruelsister settings or my way OR offcoz whatever you think best for you after considering the suggestions here from our frds here.

Arequire

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
Then replace Comodo Firewall with ZoneAlarm or any other firewall which won't make problems. Why don't you use Windows Firewall? It's good enough and you can make it even better with Windows Firewall Control.
I like Comodo's auto-sandbox. I have zero faith in any AV's zero-day protection (I've seen malware waltz right past all of them and sit on the system for hours if not days) and have yet to see an example of any malware getting past a proactive config CF that sandboxes it automatically, blocks its network access automatically and terminates it when it tries to escalate its privileges. As blackhats create more and more sophisticated malware I'm sure eventually there will come a day when there is something that can bypass this (Hostile state actors may figure this out first, who knows), but until then I put my faith in CF as my last line of defence.

Arequire

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
I would suggest you to use CFW only, if you are using CFW, I take it that you know how to work with CFW, so customize it or use cruelsister settings.

Currently I am running CFW only (proactive config + customization) And it runs super light here And I honestly think you dont need an AV with CFW customized, Cloud AV part is sufficient. I have diabled UAC & smart screen But thats up-to you.

Dont think an AV or high detection is absolutely required. As mentioned above, I take it you know how to work with CFW, so my honest suggestion, customize CFW (mention your customization here & users will help you) or use cruelsister settings & give it a try for few days...you may find it good, effective & enough And no need an AV.

My & cruelsister settings are kinda same i.e difference is, I use autosandbox default And cruelsister suggest to edit to restricted, And I set ViruScope to monitor only sandboxed programs, dont know what cruelsister suggests on this?

I use autosandbox default coz I know how effective plus usable it is especially in a real world scenario & especially for a home user Plus I try most of the programs in the sandbox first to know if the installers have PUP, hows the GUI, options, etc And almost all the programs I try work in the sandbox i.e dont break And I can reveiw them.
I set ViruScope to monitor sandboxed programs only, as I said I know how to work with CFW, so trusted programs running outside sandbox And I dont want ViruScope to monitor trusted programs & unnecessary resource usage or FPs.

Depends, how good are you with CFW? And go with your customization or cruelsister settings or my way OR offcoz whatever you think best for you after considering the suggestions here from our frds here.
I use cruelsister's settings except I allow firewall popups. I've had a lot of files from legitimate programs blocked when it's on auto-block and that leads to me sat there wondering why something isn't working. (Yesterday I had Zemana and Winamp's uninstall tell me I didn't have the appropriate access to uninstall it. That lead me to digging through the registry and activating the in-built admin account and they still didn't let me uninstall. Then I opened CF and noticed the two blocks and slapped myself in shame :p) I'm assuming that some of the files used in the programs weren't digitally signed and that lead to the block, either due to negligence or because they didn't feel it necessary.

D

Deleted member 2913

I use cruelsister's settings except I allow firewall popups. I've had a lot of files from legitimate programs blocked when it's on auto-block and that leads to me sat there wondering why something isn't working. (Yesterday I had Zemana and Winamp's uninstall tell me I didn't have the appropriate access to uninstall it. That lead me to digging through the registry and activating the in-built admin account and they still didn't let me uninstall. Then I opened CF and noticed the two blocks and slapped myself in shame :p) I'm assuming that some of the files used in the programs weren't digitally signed and that lead to the block, either due to negligence or because they didn't feel it necessary.
I guess you had Zemana & Winamp already installed on the system before CFW install, m I right?

Arequire

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
BitDefender. Beautiful, clean, no-nonsense UI, and excellent signatures. I just have too much bad history with AVG.
I had a bad history with it back in the mid to late 2000s. Not entirely sure what happened (maybe some malware got past it and wrecked the system) but AVG half-popped up something and then the thing BSOD. Tried to reboot and it BSOD everytime. Never booted again. Had to buy a whole new PC. (Back in the good ol' days when I didn't worry about malware and never installed Windows updates. :p)
I guess you had Zemana & Winamp already installed on the system before CFW install, m I right?
Yeah, I did. Have had Winamp on the system for years and Zemana for months

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Here's a very short, condensed list of issues I have with the free AVs before you cast your vote:
  • Avast - BSOD on shutdown/restart (CF conflict :()
  • AVG - Dislike their privacy policy
  • Avira - Ugly, outdated UI, full scan gets stuck in a loop, automatic quick scan on malware detection
  • Bitdefender - No settings to fiddle with
  • Comodo Cloud - Poor detection, pointless when running CF
  • Fortinet - No PUP detection
  • Microsoft Security Essentials - Poor detection
  • Panda - Bug makes UI disappear
  • Qihoo - False positives and nag heavy (As far as I can tell their HIPS doesn't discriminate between good and bad programs)
  • Sophos Home - No quarantine (Automatic deletion of files o_O)
  • Tencent - Considered a PUP, installs a bunch of other junk with its install
You have not had much luck with these Antivirus software, maybe it's a sign to use non-signature based security alongside Windows Defender if you use Windows 10. Going to assume you use Windows 7, but to confirm What OS do you use?
  1. For Avast, have you reported this to Comodo and Avast? If not, why not.
  2. For AVG, if you Do Not Agree to their Privacy Policy. Why is it listed in the Thread Title?
  3. For Bitdefender, if it does not have enough settings, again, why is it listed in the Thread Title?
  4. For Fortinet, you can use Unchecky.com to help stop Adware before it's installed.
  5. For MSE, applies to Vista and 7 only. Windows Defender in Windows 8.1 and 10 is a beast in comparison. Independent Testing sites use Windows Defender as a baseline in most test. It's not a crap Antivirus as most people will tell you.
  6. For Panda, have you reported this to Panda? If not, why not.
  7. For Qihoo, try using without the Avira and Bitdefender engines enabled. If possible lower the Heuristics if such option exists.
  8. For Sophos Home, like McAfee Free Antivirus and Bitdefender Free Antivirus they're all aimed for install and forget with little configuration for the end user - but do not contain all features to their Paid cousins.
I have listed some good paid Antivirus solutions. Have you considered a paid Antivirus security software?
  • Emsisoft Anti-Malware/Internet Security - Don't want to pay after the Trial? Try out Emsisoft Emergency Kit with no real-time, portable, on-demand scans and manual updates.
  • Zemana Anti-Malware Premium
  • Norton Security - Superb protection in one package, powerful behavioural guard with SONAR and Insight notifications. Install-and-forget.
  • Kaspersky Anti-Virus/Internet Security - Known to be up there with Bitdefender Internet Security.

I am not saying to use Paid security, but a consideration if Free does not suffice to your requirements.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 2913

Yeah, I did. Have had Winamp on the system for years and Zemana for months

The reason I asked you coz I think -

Already installed programs - They were already on the system before CFW so CFW didn't had the chance to kinda screen/completely screen them.
Programs installed after CFW install - CFW had the chance to screen/completely screen them.

You can check i.e set FW to Block
Remove entries from all the places in CFW related to Zemana & Winamp & restart the system.
Install Zemana & Winamp (if they are whitelisted by Comodo, I think programs/connections will be allowed i.e not blocked. If they are not whitelisted & you select "dont isolate again" or "unblock" them & run again then too I think programs/connections will be allowed i.e not blocked)
Now uninstall Zemana & Winamp, I think you will not have the probs like previously i.e connections blocked & uninstall prob (coz this time Zemana & Winamp were installed after CFW install And CFW had the chance to screen them And they were allowed by Comodo i.e whitelisted or you allowed them i.e "dont isolate again" or "unblock".

I have tried app 15-20 programs install/uninstall after CFW install i.e installed CFW & then installed/uninstalled app 15-20 programs And my customization are proactive + customization that includes FW set to Block And had no probs or connections blocked uninstalling programs (programs installed were either Comodo whitelisted or I selected "dont isolate again" or "unblock")

Last edited by a moderator:

Arequire

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
You have not had much luck with these Antivirus software, maybe it's a sign to use non-signature based security alongside Windows Defender if you use Windows 10. Going to assume you use Windows 7, but to confirm What OS do you use?
  1. For Avast, have you reported this to Comodo and Avast? If not, why not.
  2. For AVG, if you Do Not Agree to their Privacy Policy. Why is it listed in the Thread Title?
  3. For Bitdefender, if it does not have enough settings, again, why is it listed in the Thread Title?
  4. For Fortinet, you can use Unchecky.com to help stop Adware before it's installed.
  5. For MSE, applies to Vista and 7 only. Windows Defender in Windows 8.1 and 10 is a beast in comparison. Independent Testing sites use Windows Defender as a baseline in most test. It's not a crap Antivirus as most people will test you.
  6. For Panda, have you reported this to Panda? If not, why not.
  7. For Qihoo, try using without the Avira and Bitdefender engines enabled. If possible lower the Heuristics if such option exists.
  8. For Sophos Home, like McAfee Free Antivirus and Bitdefender Free Antivirus they're all aimed for install and forget with little configuration for the end user - but do not contain all features to their Paid cousins.
I have listed some good paid Antivirus solutions. Have you considered a paid Antivirus security software?
  • Emsisoft Anti-Malware/Internet Security - Don't want to pay after the Trial? Try out Emsisoft Emergency Kit with no real-time, portable, on-demand scans and manual updates.
  • Zemana Anti-Malware Premium
  • Norton Security - Superb protection in one package, powerful behavioural guard with SONAR and Insight notifications. Install-and-forget.
  • Kaspersky Anti-Virus/Internet Security - Known to be up their with Bitdefender Internet Security.

I am not saying to use Paid security, but a consideration if Free does not suffice to your requirements.
1. I have reported it to both companies. Apparently Avast is having multiple issues with Comodo Firewall and are working on fixes, but who knows when those will come.
2. I dislike the privacy policy but am willing to deal with it as a compromise for a great product/protection.
3. Same as AVG's answer only in the context of settings.
4. Already running unchecky, I just feel Fortinet should have some policy against PUPs, even if it isn't very good. (Bitdefender)
5. Running a Windows 7 machine. Refuse to upgrade to Windows 10 until I'm forced to due to either my PC dying or Windows 7 security patches stop being issued in 2020.
6. Myself and many other people have reported it. No update to fix it in the months since the product's release.
7. Far as I'm aware it's Qihoo's own HIPs that are causing the FPs. No option to lower the heuristics.
8. They're apparently working on quarantine, but it hasn't been added in over a year of people complaining about the issue. If Sophos ends up detecting a critical Windows file as a FP and deletes it then its user can say goodbye to their OS booting.

I'm not against using a paid-for AV, but I just don't feel they're worth my money. As much as the AV industry likes to claim, no AV is perfect and none will detect everything that's out there, which is why I feel that my paying for one is moot. A free AV could protect my system just as well as a paid one, just with less bells and whistles. (Usually bells and whistles I don't care for. Firewall, system tuneup, etc.)

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I'm not against using a paid-for AV, but I just don't feel they're worth my money. As much as the AV industry likes to claim, no AV is perfect and none will detect everything that's out there, which is why I feel that my paying for one is moot. A free AV could protect my system just as well as a paid one, just with less bells and whistles. (Usually bells and whistles I don't care for. Firewall, system tuneup, etc.)
Thanks for responding to the questions, I now have a better understanding.
I will be pairing whatever AV is chosen with Comodo Firewall which is there to catch any zero-days the AV misses.
Did you mean you want to use Comodo Firewall for it's Auto-Sandboxing against Unknown and Dangerous threats?
Which pre-configured setting will you use on Comodo Firewall?

Reactions: ForgottenSeer 55474

Arequire

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
The reason I asked you coz I think -

Already installed programs - They were already on the system before CFW so CFW didn't had the chance to kinda screen/completely screen them.
Programs installed after CFW install - CFW had the chance to screen/completely screen them.

You can check i.e set FW to Block
Remove entries from all the places in CFW related to Zemana & Winamp & restart the system.
Install Zemana & Winamp (if they are whitelisted by Comodo, I think programs/connections will be allowed i.e not blocked. If they are not whitelisted & you select "dont isolate again" or "unblock" them & run again then too I think programs/connections will be allowed i.e not blocked)
Now uninstall Zemana & Winamp, I think you will not have the probs like previously i.e connections blocked & uninstall prob (coz this time Zemana & Winamp were installed after CFW install And CFW had the chance to screen them And they were allowed by Comodo i.e whitelisted or you allowed them i.e "dont isolate again" or "unblock".

I have tried app 15-20 programs install/uninstall after CFW install i.e installed CFW & then installed/uninstalled app 15-20 programs And my customization are proactive + customization that includes FW set to Block And had no probs or connections blocked uninstalling programs (programs installed were either Comodo whitelisted or I selected "dont isolate again" or "unblock")
It was only the uninstaller for both that were blocked. Any files related to them should be allowed to run because they're on Comodo's Trusted Vendors list. I'm guessing their uninstallers weren't digitally signed but I just assumed they would be and that's why I didn't think that it was Comodo blocking them. Obviously the idea is for program vendors to sign all files related to them to stop this kind of thing happening, but hey, nothing's perfect. :p

Arequire

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
Thanks for responding to the questions, I now have a better understanding.

Did you mean you want to use Comodo Firewall for it's Auto-Sandboxing against Unknown and Dangerous threats?
Which pre-configured setting will you use on Comodo Firewall?
Correct.
  • Proactive security configuration
  • Firewall: Safe Mode
  • HIPs disabled
  • Auto sandbox enabled, restriction level: restricted, Do not show privilege elevation alerts: Run Isolated

D

Deleted member 2913

It was only the uninstaller for both that were blocked. Any files related to them should be allowed to run because they're on Comodo's Trusted Vendors list. I'm guessing their uninstallers weren't digitally signed but I just assumed they would be and that's why I didn't think that it was Comodo blocking them. Obviously the idea is for program vendors to sign all files related to them to stop this kind of thing happening, but hey, nothing's perfect. :p
I meant if Zemana & Winamp were installed after CFW install then even if "uninstall" file were unsigned, I think "uninstall" would not be blocked coz during install unsigned uninstall files would be treated as safe/trusted due to the option "trust files installed by trusted installers".

For ex - When I had tried install of Windows Firewall Control, it was not signed & not whitelisted by Comodo. I selected "dont isolate again" & run the installer again, install went fine And uninstall too went fine i.e no block.

Arequire

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017

I would love to get cruelsister's thoughts on this actually; if CF is enough on its own. Unfortunately I'm a noober caboober and don't know if you can @mention someone on this forum, and the fact she's probably busy stomping blackhats under her heels. :D (Assuming she wears heels of course. Maybe she enjoys a stomping blackhats in some nice pink bunny slippers instead. :rolleyes:)

Last edited:

Arequire

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
I meant if Zemana & Winamp were installed after CFW install then even if "uninstall" file were unsigned, I think "uninstall" would not be blocked coz during install unsigned uninstall files would be treated as safe/trusted due to the option "trust files installed by trusted installers".

For ex - When I had tried install of Windows Firewall Control, it was not signed & not whitelisted by Comodo. I selected "dont isolate again" & run the installer again, install went fine And uninstall too went fine i.e no block.
Oh right, forgot about that option actually. My bad. It was probably because I was uninstalling/reinstalling Comodo Firewall a bunch to test if my BSOD issue was a conflict between CF and Avast or if it was one of the two on its own.

D

Deleted member 2913

I would love to get cruelsister's thoughts on this actually; if CF is enough on its own. Unfortunately I'm a noober caboober and don't know if you can @mention someone on this forum, and the fact she's probably busy stomping blackhats under her heels. :D
IMHO, however users use CFW, default or customize, users need to know to work with CFW.
If users dont know to work with CFW, default or customize, protection would not suffer But usability definitely will.

Arequire

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
IMHO, however users use CFW, default or customize, users need to know to work with CFW.
If users dont know to work with CFW, default or customize, protection would not suffer But usability definitely will.
Yeah, I wouldn't ever use CFW at default settings. It's also why I wouldn't recommend it to the majority of people who have asked me how I secure my PC. They generally tend to be friends or family who aren't all that concerned about their security enough to secure it with something that requires them to configure and maintain. There just isn't the attitude in the general population for the kind of security CFW supplies. Sadly the majority of my family thinks their single antivirus program is going to block every threat they ever come across.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.