Software
Bitdefender Internet Security 2020 (b20.0.16.95)
Installation
5.00 star(s)
Installation Feedback
+ Fluent and easy
- Product download size is huge ~450MB
Interface (UI)
5.00 star(s)
Interface Feedback
+ Clean. Beginner-friendly
+ Comprehensive organization of modules
+ Ideal set of color contrasts for focus on the essential elements
Usability
5.00 star(s)
Usability Feedback
+ Well clustered modules
+ Learning curve is not high. Less efforts needed for an average user
- Some advanced features sound overlapping and might need time to grasp - like File Vault, Safe Files, Ransomware remediation
Performance and System Impact
5.00 star(s)
Performance and System Impact Feedback
+ Fantastic performance on an decent hardware. And this comes as a surprise for someone who's used an older, buggy and heavy version (2018)
+ Does NOT visibly slow down browsing, app launches and file operations
- Takes a good toll on machine when opening a folder full of executables, common among some competitors
Protection
5.00 star(s)
Protection Feedback
+ Consistently ranked high in independent tests (take it with a pinch of salt)
+ Engine is borrowed by a number of other AVs
+ Fairly powerful protection for everyday use
https://www.av-comparatives.org/tests/enhanced-real-world-test-2019-consumer/
https://www.av-comparatives.org/tests/real-world-protection-test-july-october-2019/
https://www.av-test.org/en/antivirus/home-windows/windows-10/february-2020/bitdefender-internet-security-24.0-200506/
- Dynamic protection including anti-ransomware seems slightly on the weaker side, unless manually fortified
Real-time file system protection
5.00 star(s)
Internet Surf protection
5.00 star(s)
Pros
Lots of great features
No setup required
Low impact on system resources
Simple and non-intrusive
Ransomware protection
Strong and reliable protection
Blocks even brand new malware
Virus signatures are updated very often
Excellent scores in independent tests
Well designed, clear interface
Multiple layers of protection
Cons
Advanced users may want more control
Not as many features as some competitors
Can be complex in some situations
Software installed on computer
Less than 30 days
Computer Specifications
Intel i5 4th Gen (upto 2.3Ghz Turbo) | 8GB DDR3 | 1TB HDD | AMD Radeon 8670M Graphics (2GB)
Overall Rating
5.00 star(s)
Disclaimer

Any views or opinions expressed are that of the member giving the information and may be subjective.
This software may behave differently on your device.

We encourage you to compare these opinions with others and take informed decisions on what security products to use.
Before buying a product you should consider factors such as price, ease of use, compatibility, and support. Installing a free trial version allows an antivirus to be tested in everyday use before purchase.

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Trusted
Malware Hunter
I had to go back to Kaspersky. Bitdefender was blocking Steam games updates.
That's weird, I didn't have that problem.
Anyway, it might be the Safe Files & Ransomware Remediation module.
Protected Folders feature did not block my script when testing it before posting the thread. So I went through some forums for understanding it ...
where I read a number of steam users had problems with BD. And the most common cause was Protected Folders against ransomware — that by default governs folders like My Documents (used by some Steam games).
To address this issue, one could set exceptions after verifying the logs (the blocker module and the blocked app) or remove My Documents from Protected Folder, reset Winsock and may be try moving installed games to a different drive if feasible.

blackice

Level 27
Verified
That's weird, I didn't have that problem.
Anyway, it might be the Safe Files & Ransomware Remediation module.
It could also be country dependent if it’s a firewall block if the IP address for the server in that region does not have a well known reputation.

As for protected folders I save my critical documents in a separate drive and have it protect that folder. Then the default docs folder can be used by steam or whatever else without issue as I don’t have to block it.

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Trusted
Malware Hunter
It could also be country dependent if it’s a firewall block if the IP address for the server in that region does not have a well known reputation.
I am not sure about AVs doing that. Have you read or seen such a case?

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Trusted
Malware Hunter
As for protected folders I save my critical documents in a separate drive and have it protect that folder. Then the default docs folder can be used by steam or whatever else without issue as I don’t have to block it.
How do you do that though? The default Documents folder can't be deleted from CFA.
You mean Protected Folders that @blackice referred to right?
I don't have it installed currently but I can see an option for that (ignore the red highlight)
A safe attempt.png

blackice

Level 27
Verified
@SeriousHoax I just realized you were talking CFA and not BD protected folders. I got screenshots together then looked at the picture in your post and did a facepalm. I had no end of trouble having to add exceptions every time CFA blocked a game save or some other thing. The logs are useable, but not great. I eventually turn CFA off half the time. Now Macrium has image guardian I can have a protected more recent backup that’s not offline. Seems to work well. I’m hopeful that BD file protection is helpful and useable, though @Parsh ’s testing leaves me feeling it may not be as protective as we want.

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Trusted
Malware Hunter
I’m hopeful that BD file protection is helpful and useable, though @Parsh ’s testing leaves me feeling it may not be as protective as we want.
I am actually not sure about the stance of BD Protected Folders.
Since BD would have allowed me to delete files from a Protected Folder via explorer, I ran a simple script to delete files from a PF. And BD did not block it as I'd shared in a screenshot.
Now it's possible that it deemed the script to be just safe or that it was created and triggered by the user, hence considered safe. I don't know. But I do not think this is a bug - if yes, it would be too big of a hole to be missed.
A good way to verify it would be against some actual malware. Like the recent Chinese RW that CS shared at the hub 😄

SeriousHoax

Level 29
Verified
Malware Tester
I am actually not sure about the stance of BD Protected Folders.
Since BD would have allowed me to delete files from a Protected Folder via explorer, I ran a simple script to delete files from a PF. And BD did not block it as I'd shared in a screenshot.
Now it's possible that it deemed the script to be just safe or that it was created and triggered by the user, hence considered safe. I don't know. But I do not think this is a bug - if yes, it would be too big of a hole to be missed.
A good way to verify it would be against some actual malware. Like the recent Chinese RW that CS shared at the hub 😄
Do you still have Bitdefender installed?