Bitdefender Internet Security 2020 — a revisit to the autopilot

Product name
Bitdefender Internet Security 2020 (b20.0.16.95)
Installation (rating)
5.00 star(s)
User interface (rating)
5.00 star(s)
Accessibility notes
+ Clean. Beginner-friendly
+ Comprehensive organization of modules
+ Ideal set of color contrasts for focus on the essential elements
Performance (rating)
5.00 star(s)
Core Protection (rating)
5.00 star(s)
Proactive protection (rating)
5.00 star(s)
Additional Protection notes
+ Consistently ranked high in independent tests (take it with a pinch of salt)
+ Engine is borrowed by a number of other AVs
+ Fairly powerful protection for everyday use
https://www.av-comparatives.org/tests/enhanced-real-world-test-2019-consumer/
https://www.av-comparatives.org/tests/real-world-protection-test-july-october-2019/
https://www.av-test.org/en/antivirus/home-windows/windows-10/february-2020/bitdefender-internet-security-24.0-200506/
- Dynamic protection including anti-ransomware seems slightly on the weaker side, unless manually fortified
Browser protection (rating)
5.00 star(s)
Positives
    • Many features
    • Minimal setup required
    • Low impact on system resources
    • Simple and non-intrusive
    • Ransomware protection
    • Strong and reliable protection
    • Detects or blocks in the wild malware
    • Virus signatures are updated daily
    • Excellent scores in independent tests
    • Well designed, clear and easy to use interface
    • Multi-layer protection approach
Negatives
    • Advanced users may want more control
    • Not as many features as some competitors
    • Can be complex in some situations
Time spent using product
Reviewed over a 30-day period
Computer specs
Intel i5 4th Gen (upto 2.3Ghz Turbo) | 8GB DDR3 | 1TB HDD | AMD Radeon 8670M Graphics (2GB)
Overall rating
5.00 star(s)

Parsh

Level 25
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
I had to go back to Kaspersky. Bitdefender was blocking Steam games updates.
That's weird, I didn't have that problem.
Anyway, it might be the Safe Files & Ransomware Remediation module.
Protected Folders feature did not block my script when testing it before posting the thread. So I went through some forums for understanding it ...
where I read a number of steam users had problems with BD. And the most common cause was Protected Folders against ransomware — that by default governs folders like My Documents (used by some Steam games).
To address this issue, one could set exceptions after verifying the logs (the blocker module and the blocked app) or remove My Documents from Protected Folder, reset Winsock and may be try moving installed games to a different drive if feasible.

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
That's weird, I didn't have that problem.
Anyway, it might be the Safe Files & Ransomware Remediation module.
It could also be country dependent if it’s a firewall block if the IP address for the server in that region does not have a well known reputation.

As for protected folders I save my critical documents in a separate drive and have it protect that folder. Then the default docs folder can be used by steam or whatever else without issue as I don’t have to block it.

Parsh

Level 25
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
It could also be country dependent if it’s a firewall block if the IP address for the server in that region does not have a well known reputation.
I am not sure about AVs doing that. Have you read or seen such a case?

Reactions: Protomartyr

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
How do you do that though? The default Documents folder can't be deleted from CFA.
Well it helps that I use a SUA, it actually only added the admin's doc folder, not my docs folder for the daily user account for some reason. I didn't realize it wouldn't let you remove them. Even if you run as admin?

Parsh

Level 25
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
As for protected folders I save my critical documents in a separate drive and have it protect that folder. Then the default docs folder can be used by steam or whatever else without issue as I don’t have to block it.
How do you do that though? The default Documents folder can't be deleted from CFA.
You mean Protected Folders that @blackice referred to right?
I don't have it installed currently but I can see an option for that (ignore the red highlight)
A safe attempt.png

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
Issues with protected folders are why I never leave CFA on when using WD. I had similar issues with Steam and CFA.

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Well it helps that I use a SUA, it actually only added the admin's doc folder, not my docs folder for the daily user account for some reason. I didn't realize it wouldn't let you remove them. Even if you run as admin?
It's a SUA thing then. The remove button is greyed out in Admin account for the default added folders.
z.PNG

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
It's a SUA thing then. The remove button is greyed out in Admin account for the default added folders.
View attachment 237097
I found certain items unchangeable unless I force the interface to run ekevated, but that's on SUA. I'll check if mine are greyed out too this afternoon. It's a module i can live without with backups, but should be able to work properly.

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
@SeriousHoax I just realized you were talking CFA and not BD protected folders. I got screenshots together then looked at the picture in your post and did a facepalm. I had no end of trouble having to add exceptions every time CFA blocked a game save or some other thing. The logs are useable, but not great. I eventually turn CFA off half the time. Now Macrium has image guardian I can have a protected more recent backup that’s not offline. Seems to work well. I’m hopeful that BD file protection is helpful and useable, though @Parsh ’s testing leaves me feeling it may not be as protective as we want.

Parsh

Level 25
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
I’m hopeful that BD file protection is helpful and useable, though @Parsh ’s testing leaves me feeling it may not be as protective as we want.
I am actually not sure about the stance of BD Protected Folders.
Since BD would have allowed me to delete files from a Protected Folder via explorer, I ran a simple script to delete files from a PF. And BD did not block it as I'd shared in a screenshot.
Now it's possible that it deemed the script to be just safe or that it was created and triggered by the user, hence considered safe. I don't know. But I do not think this is a bug - if yes, it would be too big of a hole to be missed.
A good way to verify it would be against some actual malware. Like the recent Chinese RW that CS shared at the hub 😄

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
I am actually not sure about the stance of BD Protected Folders.
Since BD would have allowed me to delete files from a Protected Folder via explorer, I ran a simple script to delete files from a PF. And BD did not block it as I'd shared in a screenshot.
Now it's possible that it deemed the script to be just safe or that it was created and triggered by the user, hence considered safe. I don't know. But I do not think this is a bug - if yes, it would be too big of a hole to be missed.
A good way to verify it would be against some actual malware. Like the recent Chinese RW that CS shared at the hub 😄
Do you still have Bitdefender installed?

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.