Battle BitDefender TrafficLight vs Panda URL Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Justin21

Thread author
Oct 31, 2011
Hello all, Im new to this forum and ive been lurking for awhile, im a malware cleaner, tester and enthusiast, but recently ive come to a bit of problem with my config, well not really a problem, I have 2 web filters really Avast! Network and Web shields and BitDefender Trafficlight, which has been a rock solid config and still is, but after testing Panda Cloud, ive noticed that they have a very solid URL filter and was wondering which one do you guys prefer and why? or can you use both?

Thanks

Ramblin

Level 3
May 14, 2011
There is a standalone installer for the URL filter and the.......toolbar. You really don't need to install the AV but the installer does install the toolbar in addition to the URL filter. After installation you can get rid of the toolbar by uninstalling it, leaving the filter installed.
(Panda Security toolbar installer)
http://free.pandasecurity.com/

To check whether the filter is working, this page that can be used to confirm it.
http://download.cloudantivirus.com/eng/malicious/?id=panda2_0dn&url=www.cloudantivirus.com/testurlfilter/

Bo

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Interesting that adblocker for Trafficlight would release at any time. Not sure if it would really conflict to Adblock Plus.

pcjunklist

Level 1
Dec 28, 2011
the panda url filtering was actually created by visicom media and panda updates the list. You can go to
http://software.visicommedia.com/en/products/antiphishing/

With this download you just get the url filtering and a system tray icon (which is optional) and don't have to go through the extra step of uninstalling the toolbar. If you are currently running the panda url filtering, check your running process's you will see that it is named visicom_antiphishing.

Jove

Dec 28, 2011
Hi all, thanx for this topic-very interesting.
I test this programs with malc0de.com with both active programs-i dont find reasons to disable one of them)
So, in chrome it was BDtl beta and from link that write pcjunklist i download Visicom anti-phishing domain advisor-its is a clone of pandas prog-but it has a newer core-file but useless tray undisabeling utility-icon. in this icon i can see a signature and prog version and update time-so its interesting it download updates on my comp or it show update time of servers list?
from my test-both panda-visicom and BDTL works good with little advantage of panda-visicom(it blocks about 15% more malware links), i think both programs must have
so please answer my questions-blocklists is on panda servers or on my comp.
PS: u can unzip panda toolbar.exe end find there 400kb pandaurlfilter.exe selfinstaller)))) that very easy)
PS2: in chrome i got-adblock, adblockplus and noscript extensions and i dont get any conflicts or bugs- just the opening of pages becoume slower a bit.
PS3: i find answers-all malware lists are on computer in hiden folders-they updates automatikally and silent) last thing its changelog of visicom? there version is 5 months newer

Ramblin

Level 3
May 14, 2011
pcjunklist said:
If you are currently running the panda url filtering, check your running process's you will see that it is named visicom_antiphishing.
When I used Panda URL filter, two months ago, the process was called "Panda...", not Visicom_antiphishing. Maybe has changed since.

Bo

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
WinAndLinuxTutorials said:
Some interesting news. BitDefender Trafficlight will have an adblocker!
hA1TS.png

Actually I just stumble at this day about their adblocker. And it looks ok for me, no conflicts between Adblock Plus in Firefox.

15wxnhz.png

NSG001

Level 16
Verified
Nov 21, 2011
Is it physically blocking trackers like ghostery yet ?
I believed it was just a notifier ?
If so this does look like a great addition.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Actually the adblocker is looks like automatically on and you can only disable the notifier if you want.

It could be pretty much same like ghostery. The only difference is that BDTL doesn't have more option in the adblocker.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I'm testing out BDTF for Chrome 0.1.25. They have added Tracking Notifications, and now Antivirus WebFilter is partially checked.

Tracker Revealer: Trackers are code snippets included in web site pages to track and analyze your browsing behavior. TrafficLight quickly identifies and lists them.

It only notifies you, as far as I know it doesn't block them.

Also visiting .exe links Chrome downloads them before TrafficLight can block the website, but I don't think BitDefender is at fault.

Edit: The tracking bubble notify gets in the way. :( Switched it Off.

amazingAG

Jun 1, 2011
Excellent read. I am currently using BDTL and quite liked it. It rarely blocks or notifies anything suspicious, but that can be because i don't get into trouble often :D.
I have never used Panda URL filter, so can't really say how it works.

But i am interested to know how G Data CloudSecurity works in comparison of these two. More importantly are they actually required if your security solution(in my case KIS 2012) already comes with URL Advisor and Link scanners?

DiabloBlack

Nov 5, 2011
Noticed something very strange with BDTL Beta. In the past two days or so my browsing has been real slow. Flash content wasn't loading, pages took longer to load and on almost every website the page loading in Firefox seemed to never finish (was always spinning). I didn't even know it was BDTL Beta until I uninstalled it and boom! the problem went away. I downloaded the Firefox only version and everything seems to be back to normal. There is obviously some core differences between the two versions. Has anyone else noticed any problems with the Beta version of BDTL?

Ramblin

Level 3
May 14, 2011
amazingAG said:
But i am interested to know how G Data CloudSecurity works in comparison of these two. More importantly are they actually required if your security solution(in my case KIS 2012) already comes with URL Advisor and Link scanners?
In my opinion, I think you are better off using Kiss 2012 to the max and use their URL Advisor and Link scanner instead of Traffic light or Panda URL filter. What comes with Kiss should be enough. Personally, I don't have much faith on BD and when I tried one of their very early installed versions, the folder in Programs files was very quickly around 600MB. They probably have fixed that but it blocked nothing in real life browsing or when trying URLs from MDL.

Panda on the other hand was great blocking URLs from MDL but when trying URLs from lesser known malware sites, I was amazed as it went pretty much blank. In real life, nothing neither so I am not using Panda or Traffic light.

You don't need either program, Kiss is enough for you and using their link scanner or URL advisor should not make your browsing feel heavy. If it does, then try Panda. I think this is what I would do if I was using Kiss and wanted to use some sort of URL filter/blocker.

Bo

DiabloBlack

Nov 5, 2011
One thing I wish the Panda URL Filter had was a link adviser. BDTL does both URL filtering and warns you of potential bad sites in your search engine results.

Overkill

Level 31
Verified
Honorary Member
Feb 15, 2012
umbrapolaris said:
have BDTL on comodo dragon. no slowdown observed and no installation needed.

Ok how did you manage to do that? It works on all my browsers but 1 and that is dragon! I thought maybe because both companies are competing against each other is why it wouldn't work on comodo.

If anyone is game, I'd like someone to put these 2 up against k9 web protection
I tested it earlier against quite a few links from mdl and malc0de and it blocked all but 6 out of maybe 40 or 50...the malware option works great!

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.