Battle Bitdefender ts 2014 v kaspersky is 2014 v f-secure is 2014?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RainmakerRaw

Level 1
Thread author
Jan 1, 2014
I have valid license codes for Bitdefender Total Security 2014 (giveaway), Kaspersky Internet Security 2014 (bank freebie) and F-Secure Internet Security 2014 (ISP freebie). Since my main machines are *nix and OS X I only have one Windows PC which is middle to low end (E5200, 2GB RAM, onboard gfx) but it's running Windows 8.1 x64 quite nicely since I added an SSD to spruce up the 'feel' of the OS.

Out of the three choices, which would you pick for all round protection while not being too heavy? Bear in mind some security suites can (and have) slowed this machine before now.

I've done a lot of reading this week and my old favourite pick Kaspersky seems to have lightened up and uses less resources than it used to. I did install a trial and it ran so-so on this machine. Windows, browsers etc seemed OK but KIS itself was slow to load at times so I'm wondering if Bitdefender Total Security would be lighter and still give decent protection?

I did try the F-Secure but they just don't offer enough control and features for my liking. Their firewall is practically non-existent and relies mostly on Windows' firewall from what I can see. That would be fine on a Vista/7/8 box but they don't even let you tweak the settings, it's just on or off.

So all things considered, which would you recommend? I'm thinking Bitdefender but I did like KIS when I tried it. Opinions welcome to sway me either way. :D

I'm not a n00b and the machine has clean backup images and any files are backed up to FTP overnight, so it's not a mission critical machine or anything. It's mostly used for browsing and torrenting before pushing files to the network and FTP, so having multiple layers of security outside of a security suite and browser with sandboxing (Chromium) is OTT. I don't need four products, just to know which of the three choices you'd pick and why. Thanks. :)

kjdemuth

Level 9
Verified
Jan 17, 2013
Bitdefender gives good protection but can be fickle on people's systems. You'd have to give it a try. Kaspersky is still pretty heavy. If you're looking for light give bitdefender a try.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Reactions: Venustus

Wodkakiller

Verified
Dec 28, 2013
Hello
I also use Kaspersky for years without problems.
I as an admin should have the last word at a risk, but that is not Bitdefender way.
There data can be deleted. This is the German Bitdefender Forum
after zulesen.
Bitdefender only on virtual machines.

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
KIS hands down. great protection and if you tweak it's application control you'll be hard pushed to beat it.

RainmakerRaw

Level 1
Thread author
Jan 1, 2014
Bitdefender gives good protection but can be fickle on people's systems. You'd have to give it a try. Kaspersky is still pretty heavy. If you're looking for light give bitdefender a try.

Well, you were right... I installed the Bitdefender Total Security trial and after half a day's use I'm already sick of it. The firewall offers no manual control in real time, even with autopilot off. It auto adds rules, THEN I can edit them - it doesn't prompt when apps try to use the internet. Despite the three BD services only using between 8 and 12MB of RAM combined at idle, I'm also getting near-constant freezes when using normal websites (eg banking, this forum) and Firefox and Chrome are force-closing a lot.

Back to KIS I go lol

Venustus

Level 59
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
Well, you were right... I installed the Bitdefender Total Security trial and after half a day's use I'm already sick of it
Very buggy software indeed which is a shame because they have a great "av engine".
Take a look at their forums, especially the ongoing issue with excessive bandwidth usage, that has yet to be resolved!
http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=46323

Viking

Level 26
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 2, 2011
I vote for Kaspersky, I've been using it for he last 5 years and had no problem or infections.
I did try Bitdefender Internet Security 2014 trial 2 months ago and found it buggy. The Active Virus Control would not turn on, and the firewall's Intrusion Detection System keeps turning itself off after I repeatedly turn in on.

I have not tried F-Secure!

viktik

Level 25
Verified
Well-known
Sep 17, 2013
F Secure Internet Security 2014 provides very good level of protection and is light on systen resources.

Kaspersky is also very good level of protection but it is heavy on system resources than f secure. Also scan time of kaspersky is very high compared to f secure.

Reactions: DaZa9
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.