Advice Request Blackbird script

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

RXZ6Q

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Mar 30, 2016
Are you guys using this script:

?

Do you think it's a good idea? And what do you use it? After you installed everything., etc... Or before that? Or do you know od any ofher alternatives? I will be happy to hear any feedbad from you :)

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
If you have that many questions, it's not a clever idea.
Like @Cortex mentioned the recommended settings of O&O ShutUp10 are safe and they recommend making a restore point before applying. Personally, I'm not using and recommending those tools anymore because they can still break stuff.
I now recommend this page:
Read it and adjust the settings yourself if needed or wanted.
Also, this is a good (but unfortunately not kept up to date) guide for adjusting privacy settings yourself:
Don't use a (questionable) tool if you can do it yourself.

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
I use it for scanning only to check the current settings and to see, if there is anything new.

Attachments

• capture_10272020_162200.jpg
    capture_10272020_162200.jpg
    223.4 KB · Views: 249
  • capture_10272020_162139.jpg
    capture_10272020_162139.jpg
    240.4 KB · Views: 251

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I am cautious about running automated tweak scripts on my system because if I have an issue later on, I won't know where it's coming from. Does the author of the script offer support?

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
We are not responsible for any damage done to your PC while using our software.
With that said, Blackbird has been tested thoroughly and we do offer technical support should any issues arise (info@getblackbird.net). We also welcome any suggestions and tips or you can just say hi.
Readme contains the most common bugs and the documentation lists the details, including command switches to disable only certain features.

SomeRandomCat

Level 3
Well-known
Dec 23, 2020
I had was I had to use the built in '/' command to remove a few things the default script was having issues with. The only thing I have noticed is when executing 'Open network & internet settings' from the system tray, I get an error, but I can still get there via control panel. Haven't had time to look into it further, but for the time being it doesn't bother me. I assume it has to do with something it removed.

• Wow
Reactions: RXZ6Q

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
Nothing to do with Blackbird, but yesterday I had to giving training via Teams, for reasons unclear the microphone wouldn't work - I tried everything, in the end I used my iPad until lunch - A thought came to me & I looked in Shut-Up, there it was 'don't use microphone with apps' - Now I hadn't changed any setting in there since i last used Teams - Always worth a check if you have anomalies to see if settings in these privacy apps have changed, I did everything before I looked in O&O :):)

F

ForgottenSeer 85179

I had was I had to use the built in '/' command to remove a few things the default script was having issues with. The only thing I have noticed is when executing 'Open network & internet settings' from the system tray, I get an error, but I can still get there via control panel. Haven't had time to look into it further, but for the time being it doesn't bother me. I assume it has to do with something it removed.
That's why such tools aren't recommend.
They're mostly break thinks and do strange "optimising".

You can try DISM + SFC for repairing your system

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
That's why such tools aren't recommend.
They're mostly break thinks and do strange "optimising".

You can try DISM + SFC for repairing your system
If you do use only one app so that you know where to look for and can undo the change like @Cortex did.
I think O&O ShutUp 10 is one of the safest of these kind of apps with good descriptions and safe recommended settings.

Last edited:

SomeRandomCat

Level 3
Well-known
Dec 23, 2020
Another issue I noticed after running Blackbird, is that certain applications throw an error message when trying to open their installer. I contacted BB about it but no response yet. Anyone else having this issue?

• Wow
Reactions: RXZ6Q and Cortex

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.