Advice Request BlackFog - Anyone Used It?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Cortex

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
More or less, I don't want the info in the screen shot above to be available anyone who makes two clicks in my task-bar on BF - I realise some may want to see each & every site connection & that's fine. I want the ability to use my PC without every site being recorded or more likely the choice. if I need to the option to record this though that would be a rarity would be handy - That's basic privacy I feel. The thing is tracking is being removed from the web guys and given to anyone who has a look in BlackFog - I also work at a medical centre & do at times private searches for private issues I really don't want that saving? - Is there an option?

I could go into my wife's lappy & see every site she been on today in seconds, That's not what I or she want's. I know this info can be obtained anyway but not in seconds, it's a potential invasion of her privacy & not what I bought BF for, it's a privacy program.

Last edited:

Darren Williams

Level 1
Mar 10, 2020
We could always provide an option to hide this information like we do when running in terminal services mode, which basically disables the host dialog. The normal question we get is exactly the opposite.... "show me the amount of exfiltration happening and what BlackFog is blocking".

We assume this is actually your account and that you are not hot swapping on the machine. We are just being rather transparent in terms of what we are doing. I will get the guys to add a new option to effectively hide the host tab if desired in the next minor release.

The event log is fine though as it only shows the last 100 blocks, which is a little different and not a privacy consideration. It will be showing the ad blocking, data collection etc that we are preventing.

One important point to note as well. This is only showing exfiltration, so it's only the data coming OFF your device. If you requested a news site for example it will only be showing the stuff the news site is trying to send back to base. Now in most cases they will be trying to do something they shouldn't, so it has the same effect most of the time. Just important I point that out.

Cortex

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
That would be most useful, I do understand we are all different & have different wants & needs & I may be in the minority with this request - It is my account 3 user one year bought on 08 March start of code: TGljZW5zZSBJRDogcHcud - I know the event log is limited so not an issue - You are likely to have a permanent customer (maybe more) & thanks for listening - I really do appreciate it. P

Cortex

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
@Cortex please note we have just released 4.3.1 with a new Privacy option to "hide hostnames" in the Windows interface. Full release notes can be found on our website.
Darren thanks for that, most kind of you to note users feedback & deploy, my PC's just updated! Fantastic service & the more I use BlackFog the more I'm impressed - Again thanks :):)

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.