Latest Changes
May 8, 2019
Operating System
  • Windows 10
  • Windows Edition
    Home
    Build Version
    1903
    System Architecture
    64-bit
    Security Updates
    Automatic Updates (recommended)
    User Access Control
    Default
    Network Security (Firewall)
    Windows Defender Firewall
    Device Security
  • Windows Defender SmartScreen (Windows 10)
  • User Account
    Standard
    Sign-in Options
  • Windows Hello PIN (recommended)
  • Malware Testing
    None - No Malware on host PC or VM
    Real-time Web & Malware Protection
    ESET Internet Security, RunBySmartscreen, NVT OSArmor
    Custom Settings For Real-Time Protection
    Custom - Minor changes for Increased Security
    Virus and Malware Removal Tools
    Malwarebytes, EEK, Zemana (3.0 Beta)
    Browsers and Extensions
    Chrome: uBlock Origin, WDBP, Privacy Badger, CSS Exfil Protection
    Firefox: AdGuard, MBEB, Privacy Badger, CSS Exfil Protection
    Web Privacy
    IVPN (ocassionally)
    Windscribe (occasionally)
    Cloudflare DNS over TLS with DNSSEC enabled
    Password Manager
    Lastpass
    Web Search
    Google
    System Utilities
    Process Explorer, HWMonitor, Veracrypt, 7zip
    Data Backup
    Windows File History, OneDrive
    Frequency of Data backups
    Daily
    System Backup
    Macrium
    Frequency of System backups
    Regularly
    Computer Activity
  • PC Gaming
  • Online banking
  • Browsing web and email
  • Watch movies and other entertainment content on the Internet
  • Download files from different sources
  • Computer Specifications
    Custom

    blackice

    Level 7
    Removed Syshardener for the time being. It caused ConfigureDefender not to run after restoring defaults. I had to re-image. I wonder if it had to do with being run on SUA, which I remember mention that some rules don’t work correctly when that is done. I have pretty strict rules in OS Armor to cover my tail in the meantime.
     

    oldschool

    Level 30
    Verified
    Removed Syshardener for the time being. It caused ConfigureDefender not to run after restoring defaults. I had to re-image. I wonder if it had to do with being run on SUA, which I remember mention that some rules don’t work correctly when that is done. I have pretty strict rules in OS Armor to cover my tail in the meantime.
    You're well covered with that "in the meantime" setup. If you like, you could use Hard_Configurator in Default-Allow setup if Default-Deny interferes with or complicates using gaming or other apps. IMO H_C beats SH for ease of use and better hardening, and you eliminate the risk of borking your system with no explanation. And great customer support as well. But you're definitely covered "in the meantime".

    Stay safe, not paranoid! :D(y)
     

    blackice

    Level 7
    You're well covered with that "in the meantime" setup. If you like, you could use Hard_Configurator in Default-Allow setup if Default-Deny interferes with or complicates using gaming or other apps. IMO H_C beats SH for ease of use and better hardening, and you eliminate the risk of borking your system with no explanation. And great customer support as well. But you're definitely covered "in the meantime".

    Stay safe, not paranoid! :D(y)
    Haha, I’m even thinking of sticking with this for a while. I’m a low risk user in general by my estimation. I may try fiddling with H_C when I have time, but my toddler isn’t fond of me using computers when he doesn’t get to play too, so changes sometimes take a while. Downside to a desktop, it’s not mobile so I can’t hide it.
     

    blackice

    Level 7
    Removed:
    Emsisoft Browser Extention (Firefox)
    Zemana 2.0
    Google Drive

    Added:
    Malwarebytes Browser Extension (Beta) (Firefox)
    Zemana (3.0 Beta)
    OneDrive

    Added MBEB for firefox since it's shown recently to have higher detection rates, this seems to really slow down browsing though. Zemana 3.0 Beta was added since the launch and has seemed useful so far, but it hasn't detected anything...so either it isn't working or I have good habits/luck. I changed our house to OneDrive for more file storage for less cost since we need an Office 365 subscription for my wife's job anyway. I also learned that home users now have encryption at rest on their servers (finally).

    Edit: I forgot I made a change just to try this out.
    Removed: uBlockOrigin for FIrefox
    Added: AdGuard for Firefox
     
    Last edited:

    blackice

    Level 7
    I was messing around with Sophos Home Premium, but I had too many issues. Reinstalled ESET IS with some HIPS rules and OS Armor until my license runs out. Firewall at default, because I don't have time to mess with that anymore.