Windows Edition
Home
Log-in security
Security updates
Allow security updates and latest features
User Access Control
Notify me only when programs try to make changes to my computer
Real-time security
Windows Defender (ConfigureDefender: High), RunBySmartscreen, NVT OSArmor, Malwarebytes Premium
Firewall security
Microsoft Defender Firewall
Periodic malware scanners
Malwarebytes, EEK, ESET online scanner
Malware sample testing
I do not participate in malware testing
Browser(s) and extensions
Chrome: uBlock Origin, WDBP, Privacy Badger, CSS Exfil Protection
Firefox: AdGuard, MBEB, Privacy Badger, CSS Exfil Protection
Maintenance tools
Process Explorer, HWMonitor, Veracrypt, 7zip
File and Photo backup
Windows File History, OneDrive
System recovery
Macrium
Risk factors
    • Gaming
    • Logging into my bank account
    • Browsing to popular websites
    • Streaming audio/video content from shady sites
    • Browsing to unknown / untrusted / shady sites
Computer specs
Custom

blackice

Level 38
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
Removed Syshardener for the time being. It caused ConfigureDefender not to run after restoring defaults. I had to re-image. I wonder if it had to do with being run on SUA, which I remember mention that some rules don’t work correctly when that is done. I have pretty strict rules in OS Armor to cover my tail in the meantime.

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Removed Syshardener for the time being. It caused ConfigureDefender not to run after restoring defaults. I had to re-image. I wonder if it had to do with being run on SUA, which I remember mention that some rules don’t work correctly when that is done. I have pretty strict rules in OS Armor to cover my tail in the meantime.

You're well covered with that "in the meantime" setup. If you like, you could use Hard_Configurator in Default-Allow setup if Default-Deny interferes with or complicates using gaming or other apps. IMO H_C beats SH for ease of use and better hardening, and you eliminate the risk of borking your system with no explanation. And great customer support as well. But you're definitely covered "in the meantime".

Stay safe, not paranoid! :D(y)

blackice

Level 38
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
You're well covered with that "in the meantime" setup. If you like, you could use Hard_Configurator in Default-Allow setup if Default-Deny interferes with or complicates using gaming or other apps. IMO H_C beats SH for ease of use and better hardening, and you eliminate the risk of borking your system with no explanation. And great customer support as well. But you're definitely covered "in the meantime".

Stay safe, not paranoid! :D(y)

Haha, I’m even thinking of sticking with this for a while. I’m a low risk user in general by my estimation. I may try fiddling with H_C when I have time, but my toddler isn’t fond of me using computers when he doesn’t get to play too, so changes sometimes take a while. Downside to a desktop, it’s not mobile so I can’t hide it.

blackice

Level 38
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
Removed:
Emsisoft Browser Extention (Firefox)
Zemana 2.0
Google Drive

Added:
Malwarebytes Browser Extension (Beta) (Firefox)
Zemana (3.0 Beta)
OneDrive

Added MBEB for firefox since it's shown recently to have higher detection rates, this seems to really slow down browsing though. Zemana 3.0 Beta was added since the launch and has seemed useful so far, but it hasn't detected anything...so either it isn't working or I have good habits/luck. I changed our house to OneDrive for more file storage for less cost since we need an Office 365 subscription for my wife's job anyway. I also learned that home users now have encryption at rest on their servers (finally).

Edit: I forgot I made a change just to try this out.
Removed: uBlockOrigin for FIrefox
Added: AdGuard for Firefox

Last edited:

blackice

Level 38
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
Removed:
ESET IS
Zemana (problematic and poor detection)

Added:
Reapplied ConfigureDefender setting for WD
Malwarebytes Premium
Eset Online Scanner

Since I have a Malwarebytes license I wanted to test out the impact of running it in tandem with WD. The combo never caused me problems before, even if it's not necessary. Also the web filtering is pretty decent.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.