Advice Request Bleachbit, ‘’file or directory is corrupted & undreadable’’

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

beginner-mt

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jan 6, 2019
Hi

(Windows 10 – 21h2)

I’ve checked, and re-checked, and as far as I can see there’s no virus, malware, etc.

I’ve been using portableapps.com’s bleachbit for a long time, and I never had any problem.

However, now the latest version of portableapps.com’s bleachbit causes this error on my computer::

“the file or directory is corrupted and unreadable”

Quite a few icons become unusable and so do some programs. I’ve used a restore-point, and also I’ve re-installed those programs, etc, and now everything is fine but, of course, I’m not using bleachbit anymore.

Cheers

Christian

Reactions: show-Zi

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
Hi:)
I also use 10 (21H2).
I downloaded BleachBit 4.2.2 from portableapps.com and tried it, but it completed without any problems.
I presume that BleachBit was not a factor, but a trigger. It's similar to the relationship between defragmentation and a broken HDD.

All cleaner software has side effects that cause similar glitches.

beginner-mt

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jan 6, 2019

Hello

Unfortunately, I don’t know how to find out what bleachbit may be actually triggering, and everything else seems to be working properly, so I’m forced to stop using bleachbit –- which is not what I wanted to do. Anyway, many thanks, show-Zi, for your kind and helpful answer -- at least, thanks to you, I know where I stand.

Cheers

Christian

Reactions: show-Zi

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
Hello

Cleaner software has compatibility issues depending on your personal environment.
Your PC is not bad; Bleachbit is not bad. Only the compatibility was bad.
Let's hope for the next version.

Also,.....you give me too much credit.:ROFLMAO:(y)

Reactions: Gandalf_The_Grey

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.