Danger borkduck's PC Security Config

Original forum configuration · expand details
Last updated
Nov 11, 2024
Main use of this computer
For home and private use
Operating system
Windows 11
On-device encryption
Not applicable
Device sign-in security
    • Account password
Security updates
Allow security updates
Update channels
Allow stable updates only
User Account Control (UAC)
Notify me only when programs try to make changes to my computer
Smart App Control
Evaluation mode
Network firewall
Enabled
Router and network details
Spectrum
Real-time protection
AVG (Free)
Device firewall
Microsoft Defender Firewall
Custom security settings
none
Periodic malware scanners
AVG, Windows Security
Malware sample testing
I do not participate in malware testing
Environment for malware testing
n/a
Browsers and extensions
Firefox, Edge (occasionally; really slows things down!)
Secure DNS
Firefox, Win 11
Desktop VPN
none
Password and passkey manager
none
Maintenance tools
AVG Free, Win11 security (scans)
File and photo backups
none
Subscriptions
    • None
System recovery
Win11 Image
Usage and exposure
    • Visiting familiar websites
    • Browsing the Internet without an ad-blocker
    • Working from home
    • Online shopping and card payments
    • Logging into my bank account
    • Downloading software and files from reputable sites
    • Streaming audio/video content from trusted sites or paid subscriptions
Computer specs
Intel Cor i7-12600KF

MSI Z790-P Pro WiFi DDR4

16GB DDR4-3200

1TB SSD (Samsung)

2TN HD
Notable changes
n/a
Feedback preference

Detailed suggestions and alternatives welcome

I have a feeling I'm building a mountain out of a molehill. Need to just find a reliable internet security suite a la KIS and fuggedaboutit. Pretty sure AVG isn't gonna be it, though.
My advice: keep it simple, stay safe, and not paranoid.

@RoboMan's has a good point. Enable Strict Tracking Protection in both Firefox and Edge, at minimum, and add Privacy Badger for tracking protection, which will cover you when you have to make website exceptions in either browser's tracking protection.
 
I have a feeling I'm building a mountain out of a molehill. Need to just find a reliable internet security suite a la KIS and fuggedaboutit. Pretty sure AVG isn't gonna be it, though.

Maybe You should have been posted Your advice request not in this section (Security Config) but in General Security Discussions section :)
 
My two cents: you mentiomed you use no ad-blocker because you usually need to disable it. I'd specially recommend using an adblocker, like uBlock, at least with just a few filter lists enabled to avoid browsing issues. Ad-blocking will reduce significantly malvertising and drive-by downloads, which is a potential threat in 2024.
I didn't explain clearly, I guess. I have no ad blockers but still get avisos from some pages I open saying I must 'turn off my ad blocker' to view the page.
 
I didn't explain clearly, I guess. I have no ad blockers but still get avisos from some pages I open saying I must 'turn off my ad blocker' to view the page.
That's because you have some level of tracking and ad prevention in both browsers by default, and depending on what level you chose, which is why I advised Privacy Badger in post #21 above. Add either Privacy Badger or µBlock Origin for when you disable browser's tracking prevention.
 

Recently browsing

Members who viewed this thread in the last 5 minutes

You may also like...

Continue exploring the conversation.

Back
Top