Brave Browser is hijacking links, and inserting affiliate codes

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
The Brave web browser sells itself on privacy, security and ad-blocking. It also has its own cryptocurrency, the Basic Attention Token.

What Brave’s done this time
Brave is very into affiliate marketing. Just in March this year, Brave was caught running eToro affiliate marketing without the legally-required disclaimers — and Brave staff were caught deleting all mention of this from the /r/brave_browser subforum on Reddit. [Github, archive]

If you’re using Brave and try to go to the Binance crypto exchange, Brave hijacks the Binance link you typed in, and autofills with its own affiliate code. This was spotted by @cryptonator1337 on Twitter earlier today.

The animation in @cryptonator1337’s tweet shows you what happens

Last edited by a moderator:

Marko :)

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
Everything is literally on GitHub along with the full list of URLs for hijacking. I wonder how no one saw it...

To be honest, I'd rather still use Brave than Microsoft Edge. Microsoft made a lot of mistakes privacy-wise that I'm not ready for forget.

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
Everything is literally on GitHub along with the full list of URLs for hijacking. I wonder how no one saw it...

To be honest, I'd rather still use Brave than Microsoft Edge. Microsoft made a lot of mistakes privacy-wise that I'm not ready for forget.
Because open source doesn’t mean people actually check it.

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
This is also my view. If one doesn't trust Brave then one shouldn't trust Edge, in which case you are left with Firefox or ungoogled Chromium. FF is a complete design mess, Chromium requires some additional user effort to configure and maintain.

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
This is also my view. If one doesn't trust Brave then one shouldn't trust Edge, in which case you are left with Firefox or ungoogled Chromium. FF is a complete design mess, Chromium requires some additional user effort to configure and maintain.
I wouldn't even include Ungoogled Chromium to the list because it's not updated regularly, meaning it's less secure than other web browsers.

Regarding Firefox, I said it many times; the only issue keeping me away from Firefox is their terrible font rendering. I don't mind the UI, heck, I'd even give up integrated translation service (which I use a lot in Chrome), just to fix their font rendering. 🙄

blacksheep

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Mar 8, 2020
So, what browser are you going to use now?
Switching to Firefox Preview. It looks now almost as good as Chromium based browsers. I tried it last time 2 years ago, but it was awful.

Tried DuckDuckGo, Kiwi Browser and Ecosia. They all are chromium based and are worth looking into. I didn't like them for some small UI/UX stuff.

Also, there is Bromite, but I don't like the fact that F-Droid don't include them in repos. You need to add their own repo, if you want to use it and get updates.

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
Switching to Firefox Preview. It looks now almost as good as Chromium based browsers. I tried it last time 2 years ago, but it was awful.

Tried DuckDuckGo, Kiwi Browser and Ecosia. They all are chromium based and are worth looking into. I didn't like them for some small UI/UX stuff.

Also, there is Bromite, but I don't like the fact that F-Droid don't include them in repos. You need to add their own repo, if you want to use it and get updates.
Kiwi Browser is great. Sadly, it's only available on Android, not for Windows.

enaph

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 14, 2011
Guys, why such a drama? It is only affiliate link which is harmless and your security and privacy weren't compromised.
You expect company like Brave to deliver such high quality product and don't pay their employees?
They need to make money to stay in business and continuously improve while fully respect users privacy by not selling their data to 3rd party advertisers.
If they can make money by serving privacy respecting ads, sponsored images and affiliate links, then I am OK with it.

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
Guys, why such a drama? It is only affiliate link which is harmless and your security and privacy weren't compromised.
You expect company like Brave to deliver such high quality product and don't pay their employees?
They need to make money to stay in business and continuously improve while fully respect users privacy by not selling their data to 3rd party advertisers.
If they can make money by serving privacy respecting ads, sponsored images and affiliate links, then I am OK with it.
The whole crusade against ads at all is kind of funny for a group of enthusiasts who want every software to be free and open source. If malvertising wasn’t an issue ads wouldn’t really be a problem.

bayasdev

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 10, 2015
Yeah, many people don't get that Brave has always been an adblocking browser, then they introduced their cryptothingy and promoted it as a private browser to gain more users.

CyberTech

Level 44
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
Guys, why such a drama?

MT members love drama since corona started

uSFfKUB.gif

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
I am literally shaking. This is just awful and unethical.
What is so terrifying? 🤯

Thank you for restoring some sanity to this thread. 🙏
Yeah, many people don't get that Brave has always been an adblocking browser, then they introduced their cryptothingy and promoted it as a private browser to gain more users.
Brave users can choose which features they like to use and leave the rest. Rewards? BitCoin? I don't need it.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.