Brave Browser is hijacking links, and inserting affiliate codes

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Are you sure? I mean, latest Chromium version is 83 while Ungoogled Chromium is at 81.
See screenshot

V1pAYNO.jpg

Marko :)

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
Think we're seeing something different from you:
View attachment 242353

DDG admit they save searches though:
See screenshot

V1pAYNO.jpg
Wait, now I'm confused... I thought this is the official website of Ungoogled Chromium. This website says the latest version for Windows x86 is 80.0.3987.132-1 and for x64 81.0.4044.138-1.1.

Screenshot_1.png

And, is there non-portable version of Ungoogled Chromium that has auto-update feature?

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Wait, now I'm confused... I thought this is the official website of Ungoogled Chromium. This website says the latest version for Windows x86 is 80.0.3987.132-1 and for x64 81.0.4044.138-1.1.

View attachment 242355

And, is there non-portable version of Ungoogled Chromium that has auto-update feature?
It seems there are 2 versions of Ungoogled Chromium. One at github and the other at woolyss. Choose one and use. Don't mix the two. Github version is always later release than the one at woolyss

If you want to update the one at github just download the exe file and click on it will do. Two types of files there one is the exe and the other is a zip file. Use one type and stick with it

Last edited:

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
It seems there are 2 versions of Ungoogled Chromium. One at github and the other at woolyss. Choose one and use
I mean, I'm not going to use it because I use some of Google API's that ungoogled Chromium doesn't contain. I was just wondering about the project because I read somewhere that ungoogled Chromium isn't actively developed.

Thanks for the info!

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
Official's not really the right word. It's linked to by the original UC builder (Eloston) but it's just a place where people can submit their own UC builds.

Sadly not, although the portable version on Woolys's site can be set to auto-update itself via chrlauncher.

Last edited:

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Some Brave users on Twitter (many from the crypto community) weren’t mollified, but Eich offered a mea culpa. “Sorry for this mistake — we are clearly not perfect, but we correct course quickly. We will never revise typed in domains again, I promise.”

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
I dont know if its bad or worst but i have found ( Logs from nextdns) that brave often calls to " cryptocompare.com " and ' min-api.cryptocompare.com".
CryptoCompare and Infura calls are for the CryptoWallets feature (brave://wallet). Infura is the Ethereum node the wallet speaks to. CryptoCompare gives exchange rates, so you know how much 1 ETH is worth at any given time, etc.
Source

Brahman

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 22, 2013
Is this the Andorid version?

This has become a bit intrusive on Android. It seems I have to reset to "Off" after updates, etc.
Yes it's from android...
Thanks for clarifying..I too have not opted in for brave rewards and yet had these pings..seems it's hard coded into brave.

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
You can say I'm wrong, but I have always found Brave suspicious. They had scandals before, they have them now. Whenever something happens, they say it's a mistake and they'll fix the mess... Until someone founds something new and the magic circle continues.

My opinion is — if browser is advertised as privacy focused; if it's made to protect your privacy, it should be dead silent. It shouldn't make any requests in background without user's knowledge. And, most importantly, it shouldn't collect any data about users (looking at you, Chromium Edge).
How can one trust the company and their products when they're constantly involved in scandals and doing shady stuff? It cannot.

Brave really needs to come forward and explain everything; not just how their browser works, but how they are financed too. If they are going to continue hiding things, that will only hurt their user base. After all, from a company which claims to be privacy oriented, everyone expects more transparency.

And lastly, I really do like the concept of a private web browser. I've already said, Chrome will be my primary browser as long as Google doesn't make a really stupid move (like limit the work of uBO, now looking at you Google...). Brave is always my second choice and Firefox third (it has its own problems). Microsoft Edge is at the bottom of my list; because this is not how you make private browser, Microsoft!

Kamer

Level 1
Nov 6, 2019
Then they should not label them as a "privacy browser". This is why Mozilla being a non-profit is a big deal....

1. Brave suggested sites for crypto wallets · Issue #9302 · brave/brave-browser : Brave suggested sites for crypto wallets #9302
CTO of brave commented : > Similar to top site suggestions, we'd like to add Crypto Widgets and Binance related suggestions based on what a user types in the URL bar. This is mostly an experiment to see if it's useful. It could be expanded in the future to involve BAT or even be used if the user has Brave ads turned on.
You should look up Mozilla's legal structure! It has both a for and non-profit organization. In fact, it mirrors what Google has done with Chrome, but Mozilla did it first:
a for profit company leveraging FOSS. I just find it funny, you were "literally shaking" because it reminded me of a South Park episode of PC principal!
There are complete FOSS alternatives to Firefox, just like Chromium.

Brave really needs to come forward and explain everything; not just how their browser works, but how they are financed too. If they are going to continue hiding things, that will only hurt their user base. After all, from a company which claims to be privacy oriented, everyone expects more transparency.
I totally understand the lack of trust. It's just, from experience, the best most private browsers are the modified FOSS stripped of commercial services, like Chromium.
Relying on a commercial rebrand is hit and miss.

F

ForgottenSeer 85179

What Daniel Micay say about Brave:
Brave has always been a sketchy browser reeking of desperation. I've taken issue with their usage of DRM, their decision to have a hard dependency on Play Services and their sketchy cryptocurrency activities including their very likely illegal ICO launch.

He post more (see link) but I specially pick that here too:
Brave is a wolf in sheep's clothing. Privacy is not their core mission. The core mission is to rescue advertising.

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
Well, Ungoogled Chromium Version 81.0.4044.138 (Developer Build) (64-bit)i s the same version as Brave stable right now. It's very minimalist in look and fully customizable. I guess that would be a good choice for those who don't trust Brave.
Marmaduke's UC build on Woolys's site is on Chromium 83. Better build to recommend I'd say.
With that said, I'd be confused by anyone who doesn't trust Brave but trusts John Doe's self-compiled, unaudited Chromium build.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.