Advice Request My Take – Brave vs Firefox vs Ungoogled Chromium (UC - Eloston) Browsers

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
Brave all the way, gave Firefox a whirl a few weeks ago but can't get on with it - I do use 'I don't care about cookies' extension which probably does decrease security but as I don't keep anything whatsoever between sessions (several daily) I feel the issue isn't worth worrying about - Brave on this PC is probably the longest I've had a browser on for several hundred years :D:D

JasonUK

Level 5
Apr 14, 2020
Do you still have to manually install updates to ungoogled chromium (& extensions) or have they improved useability?

I don't mind doing this for Tor as I don't have any extensions etc but that was too much hassle for a primary browser so I opted for 1. Brave, 2. Firefox & 3. Tor.

Reactions: Nevi

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Do you still have to manually install updates to ungoogled chromium (& extensions) or have they improved useability?

I don't mind doing this for Tor as I don't have any extensions etc but that was too much hassle for a primary browser so I opted for 1. Brave, 2. Firefox & 3. Tor.
Nope if you use the NeverDecaf's Chromium Web Store extension for installing/updating extensions. I did not try the chrlauncher whether it works for updating Ungoogled Chromium itself though

Read my review below

Last edited:

SearchLight

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 3, 2017
So, if one had to pick one browser as a compromise that is as close to being secure, I gather the consenus is Brave which comes with some of the bells and whistles, UC if one wants vanilla but must be customized with extensions, and only FF if one is willing to harden it with about:config tweaks.

Agree? I guess based on many comments, one should realize there is no such thing as the perfect secure browser but falls to personal preference.

CyberDevil

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Apr 4, 2021
I would say that I don't like any browser, as each has its own drawbacks. :) But, in Firefox, I at least have a user.js and userChrome.css to eliminate some of its drawbacks ))

For example, below are my favorite modifications, maybe someone will like them too:

• HaHa
Reactions: ForgottenSeer 85179

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
When someone
- coins to square causes
- quacks square tweets
- looks square

1624272170287.png

he must be square :)

Reactions: blackice

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
I would say that I don't like any browser, as each has its own drawbacks. :) But, in Firefox, I at least have a user.js and userChrome.css to eliminate some of its drawbacks ))

For example, below are my favorite modifications, maybe someone will like them too:
Fun fact, pyllyukko means buttman in finnish

monkeylove

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Mar 9, 2014
I use Firefox using suggestions given at

That is, with about:config tweaks, multi-account containers, and cookie managers.

I put stores, banks, social media platforms, etc., in separate containers. I also use fake accounts in Google, Youtube, etc., if needed.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.