Brave Browser is hijacking links, and inserting affiliate codes

Marko :)

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
I mean no disrespect when I say this, but I find it funny how people suggest Firefox, who shares the same views as Google and had their fair share of problems with privacy in the past.
At least, Firefox never did sketchy things... Oh, wait...

F

ForgottenSeer 72227

Because open source doesn’t mean people actually check it.

That's the biggest assumption made about open source. Open source folks scream from the roof tops of how more secure it is, because it's being "verified" by others. While not wrong, it just the assumption that every single open source project is vetted continuously, which unfortunately is not true. So really while open source is great and all, unless it's a massive project like Ubuntu or something, there's probably a good chance that it's not constantly being looked it, if at all.

Guys, why such a drama? It is only affiliate link which is harmless and your security and privacy weren't compromised.
You expect company like Brave to deliver such high quality product and don't pay their employees?

Agreed personal data was not compromised in any way, it was just they weren't very upfront about it.

As to paying employees, this is really this biggest issue IMO with free software. People want free, I get it, I do too, but there's always the expectation that you have to give it away for free, but you cannot do x, y, z. Sure there are donations, but lets cut the BS, donations don't work, not constantly anyways. Donations are not a steady source of income, so I can see why programmers want to close source there stuff and charge for it. It's one of the reason why developers are hesitant to develop for Linux. Marketshare aside, many Linux and FOSS users have this expectation that everything has to be open source and free. Sure they have donations, but like I said above it doesn't work. Personally I think this whole open source and free business needs to be re-thought out if they want it to succeed. Let them charge for it, don't cry and fork the project because the developer is asking you to pay $10.00.

The privacy movement has made everybody a paranoid these days.

Stay private, not paranoid. (y)

I think the key to privacy these days is to just watch what you make available online these days. Always assume that someone will harvest said data, never assume it's safe.

You are absolutely right - they should add it into EULA and there will be no issue, but they didn't and that was their biggest mistake.

Agreed. I think they should also have a big pop-up during the install, because lets face it how many people actually read the EULA.:p
Waiting for someone to expose DuckDuckGo too. I believe company nowadays use the term "privacy friendly" as a marketing term to hook users into their service/product like how VPN providers use "NO LOGS" marketing term, but getting caught that some of VPN providers don't uphold NO LOGS at all.

It's sad, but true, "privacy" has really become the new marketing gimmick if you will. I mean Look at Google vs Apple with their phones, Apple is constantly promoting how more privacy focused they are compared to Android, yet they too collect data....:whistle:

Last edited by a moderator:

Kamer

Level 1
Nov 6, 2019
Marmaduke's UC build on Woolys's site is on Chromium 83. Better build to recommend I'd say.
With that said, I'd be confused by anyone who doesn't trust Brave but trusts John Doe's self-compiled, unaudited Chromium build.
This is a real problem. The best I can find out, is you download the Chromium builds direct from the project https://storage.googleapis.com/chromium-browser-snapshots/Win_x64/776184/mini_installer.exe That is today's build, which gets updated everyday, which is essentially slim Chrome Canary, minus google stuff, with all the alpha caveats. Directory: https://storage.googleapis.com/chromium-browser-snapshots/index.html

You can trust the Download latest stable Chromium binaries (64-bit and 32-bit) as far as the compilers claim to simply compile the source code. If there is malware added, you should be able to find out.

Last edited:

Mountainking

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Jan 10, 2018
FYI, Bromite is not 100% de-googled. The developer also admits that. Too bad it doesn't supports extensions.

Ungoogled Chromium for android at github coming soon

There's another Ungoogled Chromium for android version at woolyss. Scroll all the way down

Thanks man! Any chance if you know those 2 support extensions? I'll give it a try definetely or flags (chrome://flags)

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
This is a real problem. The best I can find out, is you download the Chromium builds direct from the project https://storage.googleapis.com/chromium-browser-snapshots/Win_x64/776184/mini_installer.exe That is today's build, which gets updated everyday, which is essentially slim Chrome Canary, minus google stuff, with all the alpha caveats. Directory: https://storage.googleapis.com/chromium-browser-snapshots/index.html

You can trust the Download latest stable Chromium binaries (64-bit and 32-bit) as far as the compilers claim to simply compile the source code. If there is malware added, you should be able to find out.
Eloston ungoogled Chromium most resembles Brave in certain anti-fingerprinting chome://flags. The other forks do not have these from what I can tell.

Capture.PNG

Marko :)

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
I just read privacy policy of Chrome and IMHO it's not as nearly bad as it's thought. A lot of thing can be disabled (if not all). Just don't sign into Google inside of the browser and, turn off everything Google related in Settings if you're THAT privacy paranoid, and you're good to go.

I'm actually not surprised how Google explained everything about Chrome in their privacy policy and whitepaper; their main privacy policy is well documented and really easy to read and understand. Though, I have to admit, I've never seen privacy policy so detailed that it explains every part of software how it works, what data it collects, and teaches you how to disable things you don't like. I mean, even in Chrome itself, Google literally tells you which option, when used, will contact Google so you know exacly what to disable.

Screenshot_1.png

Also, Google SafeBrowsing is something I really like. It's really good and works in more private way than the competitors.

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
Related to Brave security issues Kaspersky currently reports the following file as infected

C:\Users\light\AppData\Local\BraveSoftware\Brave-Browser\User Data\cpoalefficncklhjfpglfiplenlpccdb\1.0.11\tor-0.3.5.10-win32-brave-0
Scanned all AppData here with KIS/HitMan & clean here?

jerzy601

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 20, 2011
some really dramatize it.
and really which browser doesn't collect data?
everybody does it, these people have to live and earn something.
so what's the drama for?
every company spending its product has to pay people to pay.

Mountainking

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Jan 10, 2018
I started using it on Android, what issues have you experienced that may be considered annoying?
Not directed at me but personally any injection, ad serving, home calling etc by ANY browser is one more process that bugs down the phone, slows down the browser, slows up web pages retrieving, uses up battery (however small). The more I can get away from those stuffs, the better off I am.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.