Brave Browser release info

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
But is it going to let you sync data of old device to new one? I'm talking about in case my devices get damaged/stolen, is there any way to recover that data?
That’s a good question, is the sync chain stores locally on devices and pushed, or is there a database that it pulls from? That would make all the difference.

oldschool

Level 81
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
It looks like the Brave team is doing a good job maintaining and streamlining Brave adblock lists. They appear to be moving towards Brave modified µBO default lists and Brave Unbreak list, etc. You may view their activity here.

Also, it looks like Brave Adblock is or may be coming to the Settings UI as discussed here and shown below:

Capture.PNGCapture1.PNG

That's it for today's Brave sermon by Reverend @oldschool. ;)

Last edited:

Lord Ami

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Sep 14, 2014
Latest Brave release: Version 1.12.114 Chromium: 84.0.4147.135 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Desktop
Release Notes V1.12.114
  • [Security] Reduce logging as reported on HackerOne by hihouhou. (#11255)
  • Upgraded Chromium to 84.0.4147.135. (#11303)

oldschool

Level 81
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Here is some recent info on native handling ETags [Desktop] Don't cache etag and related caching information on small requests · Issue #10719 · brave/brave-browser

Maybe the pertinent section is this from a senior researcher at Brave:

pes10k commented 2 days ago
Hello @Peacock365 , thanks you again for the link. I don't think we'd be comfortable removing etags all togehter, as that will have a significant performance impact on users (I just ran some measurements last week on this, and the size of responses to etag'd values is pretty evenly distributed).
Some things we are considering though (no decisions made) are:
  • Stripping out etags on small responses, where there is little-to-no perf cost
  • Trying to list build lists of folks using etags for privacy violations
  • Removing etag's for 3p requests
The "correct" solution here though will be to partition etag's under the 1p though. This work is going on upstream in chromium (we've very excited for it), though depending on how long that will take up stream, we might consider a shorter term solution too.
Thanks again for the suggestion!

Brave will be moving closer to an extension-free browser for me if something along these lines is implemented. (y):D

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Seems this flag is not working correctly
View attachment 245508

View attachment 245509
For now, there is only a kind of tweak (made by one user), but that works to disable TLS 1.0/1.1
Brave can only be made to use only TLS 1.2 and above by a command-line switch.This can be implemented by setting up a shortcut
!NOTE: ONLY starting Chrome/Brave from this shortcut will prevent use of insecure protocols.

“C:\Program Files (x86)\BraveSoftware\Brave-Browser\Application\brave.exe” -–ssl-version-min=tls1.2

brave.png

oldschool

Level 81
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Brave stable channel latest update with lots that's new: Version 1.13.82 Chromium: 85.0.4183.83 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Desktop
Release Notes V1.13.82

• Added Gemini widget to the New Tab Page. (#11457)
  • Added external wallet data to brave://rewards-internals page. (#10837)
  • Added handler for 410 response code when rewards promotion expires. (#11161)
  • Added the ability to update user models for Brave Ads via brave://components. (#9147)
  • Added link to “Reset Brave Rewards data…” under brave://settings/clearBrowserData. (#926)
  • [Security] Added “Always Show Full URLs” setting under brave://settings/appearance to display the full URL in the address bar. (#7449)
  • Enabled OS location service on Windows. (#10722)
  • Improved general performance by not downloading Tor component until a New Private Window with Tor is first opened. (#9177)
  • Updated brave://adblock to always reflect available regional adblock lists. (#10830)
  • Updated global autoplay content setting under brave://settings/content/autoplay. (#10807)
  • Implemented fingerprint farbling for Plugins. (#9435)
  • Implemented new wallet API for Brave Rewards. (#8428)
  • Disabled ability to retrieve rewards logs via brave://rewards-internals and removed existing logs. (#11260)
  • Removed anonymous addresses from Uphold flow in rewards. (#11150)
  • Removed all fingerprinting exceptions in shields. (#10598)
  • Removed all referrer exceptions in shields. (#10825)
  • Removed Brave Account branding for password storage. (#10469)
  • Fixed issue where ad conversions would fail when a site uses pushState. (#11012)
  • Fixed GitHub creators not being added to the auto-contribute table in Brave Rewards when the “Allow contribution to videos” setting was unchecked. (#10546)
  • Fixed issue where promotions for rewards would show in the UI if they had expired. (#11170)
  • Fixed clearing history from brave://settings/clearBrowserData not removing top site tiles from the New Tab Page. (#9929)
  • Fixed menu display for widgets on the New Tab Page when translations exceeded a certain length. (#10749)
  • Fixed issue where menu items did not work for the widgets on the New Tab Page in certain cases. (#10199)
  • Fixed issue where “:style(…)” cosmetic filter rules for class selectors were not applied. (#10862)
  • Fixed torrent and magnet link pages showing error message after browser restart. (#7330)
  • Fixed New Tab Page performance issues on initial render. (#9913)
  • Upgraded Chromium to 85.0.4183.83. (#11401)
Previous Release Notes

Stay Brave and stay safe, my friends! (y):D

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
Brave stable channel latest update with lots that's new: Version 1.13.82 Chromium: 85.0.4183.83 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Desktop
Release Notes V1.13.82

• Added Gemini widget to the New Tab Page. (#11457)
  • Added external wallet data to brave://rewards-internals page. (#10837)
  • Added handler for 410 response code when rewards promotion expires. (#11161)
  • Added the ability to update user models for Brave Ads via brave://components. (#9147)
  • Added link to “Reset Brave Rewards data…” under brave://settings/clearBrowserData. (#926)
  • [Security] Added “Always Show Full URLs” setting under brave://settings/appearance to display the full URL in the address bar. (#7449)
  • Enabled OS location service on Windows. (#10722)
  • Improved general performance by not downloading Tor component until a New Private Window with Tor is first opened. (#9177)
  • Updated brave://adblock to always reflect available regional adblock lists. (#10830)
  • Updated global autoplay content setting under brave://settings/content/autoplay. (#10807)
  • Implemented fingerprint farbling for Plugins. (#9435)
  • Implemented new wallet API for Brave Rewards. (#8428)
  • Disabled ability to retrieve rewards logs via brave://rewards-internals and removed existing logs. (#11260)
  • Removed anonymous addresses from Uphold flow in rewards. (#11150)
  • Removed all fingerprinting exceptions in shields. (#10598)
  • Removed all referrer exceptions in shields. (#10825)
  • Removed Brave Account branding for password storage. (#10469)
  • Fixed issue where ad conversions would fail when a site uses pushState. (#11012)
  • Fixed GitHub creators not being added to the auto-contribute table in Brave Rewards when the “Allow contribution to videos” setting was unchecked. (#10546)
  • Fixed issue where promotions for rewards would show in the UI if they had expired. (#11170)
  • Fixed clearing history from brave://settings/clearBrowserData not removing top site tiles from the New Tab Page. (#9929)
  • Fixed menu display for widgets on the New Tab Page when translations exceeded a certain length. (#10749)
  • Fixed issue where menu items did not work for the widgets on the New Tab Page in certain cases. (#10199)
  • Fixed issue where “:style(…)” cosmetic filter rules for class selectors were not applied. (#10862)
  • Fixed torrent and magnet link pages showing error message after browser restart. (#7330)
  • Fixed New Tab Page performance issues on initial render. (#9913)
  • Upgraded Chromium to 85.0.4183.83. (#11401)
Previous Release Notes

Stay Brave and stay safe, my friends! (y):D
Too many of their update have reference to “rewards”...just kidding I know that’s their whole model. Those of us on the side just benefit...but seriously fix sync.

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
I dont bother with the brave rewards system i have disabled them all. Otherwise the adblocking + fingerprint blocking is doing as good even better than ublock origin does, wich is huge plus. ( ublock origin doesnt do any fingerprint protection)

Im using brave with the i dont care abut cookies extension and bitwarden extension, its definitely faster than any other browser due built-in adblocking

Only cons i have seen is keeping expired chrome://flags on the browser wich makes me bit insecure, they will expire sooooooooon and from now im only using most needed and recently added ones to avoid any breaks/issues wich wont happen anyways, just after every m update its currently at 85, so @86 @87 @88 i will alwways check the flags and enable the most recent and really needed ones

Script blocking still sucks, but you really dont need at all, and if you do need that just run noscript or something

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
You don't need a cookie notice extension anymore. Head over to brave://adblock/ and turn on "Easylist-Cookie List". (Requires Brave's ad blocking to be set to aggressive.)
I have tried that several times, it will block certain sites but as example > Breaking News, World News & Multimedia is one that wont get blocked

oldschool

Level 81
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Tried it last time, but could not remove some of them like twitch
Please see this post for more info on element blocking:

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Please see this post for more info on element blocking:

Thank you, i got it done in no time (y) That post should be sticked to top of brave browser thread to help others too..i dont care cookies extension is gone

oldschool

Level 81
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Brave has updated to: Version 1.13.86 Chromium: 85.0.4183.102 (Official Build) (64-bit) Issue #11378 was an important fix. (y)

Release Notes V1.13.86
  • Fixed Brave Rewards service being associated to Tor profiles. (#11223)
  • Fixed “setup.exe” not being signed. (#11378)
  • Fixed Gemini widget being displayed in unsupported region(s). (#11483)
  • Fixed clicks not being registered on ad notifications in certain cases. (#11042)
  • Upgraded Chromium to 85.0.4183.102. (#11621)
Previous Release Notes

Stay Brave and stay safe, my friends! :D

oldschool

Level 81
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Brave has updated to: Version 1.14.81 Chromium: 85.0.4183.102 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Release Notes V1.14.81
  • Implemented additional farbling protections for fingerprinters accessing CPU information. (#10808)
  • Implemented additional farbling protections for fingerprinters accessing media hardware information. (#11271)
  • Added “Event” tab under brave://rewards-internals to assist with rewards support. (#10781)
  • Added metric to better calibrate availability of Brave ads. (#10081)
  • Removed backup and restore notifications for verified wallet users. (#6259)
  • Fixed Brave accepting TLS 1.0 and TLS 1.1 certificates without warning users. (#10607)
  • Fixed WebRTC Web APIs being modified when fingerprinting protection is set to “strict”. (#11310)
  • Fixed overlapping text on Uphold promotional card under brave://rewards. (#11257)
  • Fixed Brave Ads intermittently crashing when clicking on thumbs up, thumbs down, opt-in, out-out, save ad and flag ad under “7-day Ads History”. (#11044)
  • Fixed Brave Ads page classification scores from locally persisting in the diagnostic log. (#11220)
  • Fixed purchase intent parent only segments blocking page classification parent segments. (#11410)
  • Fixed crash on macOS when checking currently installed version in certain cases. (#11008)
  • Fixed Gemini toggle appearing under brave://settings#newTab for unsupported regions. (#11136)
  • Fixed not being able to authenticate and use the Google Keep extension. (#3650)
  • Fixed not being able to authenticate and use the Google Calendar extension. (#4672)
  • Fixed not being able to automatically set Brave as the default browser Debian systems with Chrome. (#11001)
  • Fixed Brave registering as Chromium instead of Brave under Pulseaudio. (#10919)
Previous Release Notes

Stay Brave, my friends! (y):D

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.