Advice Request Brave - couple of questions

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

lorcav123

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Sep 22, 2018
1)Does Brave have some addon like Firefox Facebook container or maybe Brave is doing something similar on default?

2)Why doesn't Brave have speed dial? There is some option Top sites but I can move anything there, can't find button to pin....

3) I will use two browsers, Brave and Firefox. On Firefox I will probably install Kaspersky browser extension (not sure yet becasue I am privacy oriented - still researching) but what about Brave. Is it smart to install on Brave Kaspersky browser extension?

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
I don't use Gmail......trying to move away from Google

As for using crxextractor.com it can be done but needs to update the extensions manually like Ungoogled Chromium. Will try Brave browser later but will use the Ungoogled Chromium Extension Installer extension for faster manual extension installation. It works for Ungoogled Chromium but not sure it'll work with Brave.

Freud2004

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jun 26, 2020
3) I will use two browsers, Brave and Firefox. On Firefox I will probably install Kaspersky browser extension (not sure yet becasue I am privacy oriented - still researching) but what about Brave. Is it smart to install on Brave Kaspersky browser extension?

Kaspersky's extension don't work on brave, I have KIS install in my PC but my everyday browser is Brave.

Kaspersky will block any infected file download by brave, but will not block any page.

So the solution, and I am very happy with it, I use two extension, Trafficligtht (extension from Bitdefender) and ADguard extension, very light solution:

1609414820647.png

1609414837031.png

1609414986800.png

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Where can I find this extension? I also use Ungoogled Chromium but updating extensions is biggest headache 😒.
You can install extensions to UC in the following manners. I'm talking of the version by Eloston and NOT the version at woolyss - both below

1) Installing the Ungoogled Chromium Extension Installer extension
2) Go to crxextractor.com to install the extensions
3) Download the crx file (from either crxextractor.com or crx4chrome.com) for the extension and then drag-and-drop onto the extension page in UC

Steps

1) Get the UC Extension installer from here

2) Unzip the extension into a folder

3) Then go to chrome://flags/#extension-mime-request-handling to change from "Default" to "Install always" to make it prompt the user to install. "Default" will cause you to download the extension's crx file instead.

4) Go to => More Tools => Extensions and enable Developer mode at top right corner

5) Click on 'Load unpacked' and it’ll direct you to open the folder which you unzipped earlier and select the folder (NOT files)

6) After you have installed the UC Extension extension go to Chrome Web Store and select the extension you want to install.

7) Right click your mouse and select 'Install extension' as in picture in the below link

Read more here

Note:- I think the 1st method of using the UC Extension Installer may not work with Brave browser

Last edited:
F

ForgottenSeer 78429

How using different profiles on brave is benefitial? Is it like having two browser without any common data set or is it like FF Containers?

Reactions: Cortex

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
"Firefox Containers" are probably different, but you may like to take a look on this thread by @security123

Should be possible to create similar browser-profiles for different purposes even on Brave as chromium-based browser...

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
I just installedBrave latest v1.18.77

Can someone tell me why uBO v1.31.2 cannot expand out? I have enabled 'I am an advanced user'

Temporary, disable all other browser extensions, or just remove and re-install uBO, that may helps...

No such issue here on my Brave v1.18.77 and uBO v1.31.2 👍

new brave.png

Last edited:

Tiamati

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 8, 2016
Kaspersky will block any infected file download by brave, but will not block any page.
That's only partially true. I recently made a test to know if any extension could block malware in Brave as Kaspersky could in supported browsers.

I tested AMTSO Security Features Check Tools | with:

Avira Safe Shoppin​

Netcraft Extension​

Bitdefender TrafficLight​

Malwarebytes Browser Guard​

Emsisoft Browser Security​

Norton Safe Web​

Most of them, only blocked the pishing test.. While Bitdefender blocked the download of some malicious test files as well, but not all

It was not able to block at least:
Feature Settings Check - Drive-By Download | AMTSO
RAR-SFX format
Cloud Based Test

BTL also was not able to block those 3 tests using only the extension with Edge.

Kaspersky on the other hand, was able to block everything (100%) with Edge and Firefox. I don't believe the results from BTL were associated with Bitdefender itself, but with limitations of the extension. If someone have Bitdefender installed, it could make the test with those 3 missed samples and check if the AV suit blocks them.

So, despite BTL actually is the best protection extension for Brave, it's not as good as a full and compatible AV suite. At least considering these tests

Tiamati

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 8, 2016

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.