New Update Brave partners with Guardian to bring a paid VPN and Firewall to Brave for Android

silversurfer

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
" Brave Software, maker of the Brave web browser for desktop and mobile operating systems, is integrating firewall and VPN functionality into its web browser. Brave 1.39 for Android includes the new functionality, which launched for Brave on iPhone and iPad earlier this year. "
brave vpn
source: Brave
Brave entered into a partnership agreement with Guardian to promote and integrate Guardian's firewall and VPN product into the browser.

The update to Brave 1.39 for Android is required before the new VPN link becomes available in the browser's main menu. Activation of the item in the menu displays basic information about the offer and the price.

Brave VPN is powered by Guardian, a company known for its firewall and VPN product. The product supports the blocking of trackers and advertisement, and secure connections using the WireGuard technology. Unlike several other browser integrated VPN solutions, Brave VPN works systemwide, which means that all applications benefit from it when it is enabled.

Brave VPN is available as a commercial product only. Users of Brave may pay $9.99 per month or $99.99 per year to subscribe to Brave VPN; Guardian Firewall is not available for Android officially, but the pricing matches the pricing of the standalone iOS version.

Compared to other VPN solutions, Brave VPN can't be described as a cheap option. Mozilla VPN, a VPN solution by Mozilla that is powered by Mullvad, is available for half the price. Popular VPN providers such as NordVPN or ExpressVPN are available for even less during sales, which seem to happen all-year-round. Some support the blocking of ads and trackers as well.

Is Brave VPN bringing anything to the table other than what other VPN apps and services support as well? Brave Software highlights its unique authentication system. While it is necessary to buy a subscription for Brave VPN to use the service, Brave is using a pseudonymous digital receipt to provide access to the VPN service, and "randomized, rotated identifiers" when connecting to VPN servers.

According to Brave, this system provides access to the VPN "in a manner that does not require Brave or Guardian to be aware of a user's identity". Guardian uses the same technology for its standalone application, as highlighted in the company's Privacy Policy.

Brave plans to roll out Brave VPN to all Brave users on Android devices, version 8 and up, over the coming days. Brave 1.39 is expected to become available by the time as well.
The company plans to introduce Brave VPN in all desktop versions of the web browser in the "next several months" as well, so that it is available for all supported operating systems and device types.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016

Brave is using a pseudonymous digital receipt to provide access to the VPN service, and "randomized, rotated identifiers" when connecting to VPN servers

Unquote

Surfshark VPN's Nexus also has Rotating IP, Randomized IP and Dynamic Multihop features

dinosaur07

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 5, 2012

Slerion

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2016

Brave is using a pseudonymous digital receipt to provide access to the VPN service, and "randomized, rotated identifiers" when connecting to VPN servers

Unquote

Surfshark VPN's Nexus also has Rotating IP, Randomized IP and Dynamic Multihop features
Actually surfshark doesnt have randomized ip yet , no dynamic multi hop either screen
Also surfsharks "nexus" isnt something brand new perfect privacy got this "idea" of surfshark running for years ( just without a fancy marketing name its simple internal routing ).

the only thing they have is "Rotating ip" and all it does is reconnect you every 10min to a "maybe" new IP its often happening that you get the same ip it also disconnects you shortly so streaming services or permanent connections like gaming cant be done obviously many websites also ban you temporarily or till you contact them with too many ip changes.

Dont believe in surfsharks marketing so much thats all they can do they really dont communicate outside of marketing , their "AV" just got now real time protection after close to a year from the ad campaign for it and its a simple Avira SDK av.

Last edited:
Reactions: [correlate]

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Actually surfshark doesnt have randomized ip yet , no dynamic multi hop either screen
Also surfsharks "nexus" isnt something brand new perfect privacy got this "idea" of surfshark running for years ( just without a fancy marketing name its simple internal routing ).

the only thing they have is "Rotating ip" and all it does is reconnect you every 10min to a "maybe" new IP its often happening that you get the same ip it also disconnects you shortly so streaming services or permanent connections like gaming cant be done obviously many websites also ban you temporarily or till you contact them with too many ip changes.

Dont believe in surfsharks marketing so much thats all they can do they really dont communicate outside of marketing , their "AV" just got now real time protection after close to a year from the ad campaign for it and its a simple Avira SDK av.
Besides Rotating IP the other features are coming soon

Slerion

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2016
Besides Rotating IP the other features are coming soon
Any source other than a marketing video?
all of their "soons" was months to years.
if they would be trustable on estimates we would have had Q1 ipv6 like they claimed on surfshark for Months .

you also said surfshark had these features already :) which i corrected you on.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Any source other than a marketing video?
all of their "soons" was months to years.
if they would be trustable on estimates we would have had Q1 ipv6 like they claimed on surfshark for Months .

you also said surfshark had these features already :) which i corrected you on.
It'll take months, if not years, to implement the features just like its Rotating IP feature which just got out of beta. Sometimes announced features may become vaporeware just like its fake news feature which was withdrawn after public critisms.

I said Surfshark VPN's Nexus has the features. I did not say all are already available

Last edited:

amirr

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
I saw this in my Adguard account:
1656780376885.png

Now installing Adguard in my phone. So then how to use its Firewall to block only WhatsApp?
Thank you.

rain2reign

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Jun 21, 2020
But it doesnt work at the same time while my VPN application is on.
All Android firewall applications that don't require being installed through ROOT access or System Access use the built-in VPN slot. And of those trillions of apps only a handful are programmed to work alongside a third-party VPN at the same time. I don't exactly know how they rig or hack it that way, but even those consist mostly of half-baked solutions. Either stick with a root access firewall or a VPN-slotted one.

Edit note: AFWall is an example of a root access firewall. A few custom roms have their own built-in into their custom rom.

Reactions: oldschool and amirr

amirr

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
All Android firewall applications that don't require being installed through ROOT access or System Access use the built-in VPN slot. And of those trillions of apps only a handful are programmed to work alongside a third-party VPN at the same time. I don't exactly know how they rig or hack it that way, but even those consist mostly of half-baked solutions. Either stick with a root access firewall or a VPN-slotted one.

Edit note: AFWall is an example of a root access firewall. A few custom roms have their own built-in into their custom rom.
Yes, but steps to root android 12 seems tedious. Can it be done without using a PC?

rain2reign

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Jun 21, 2020
Yes, but steps to root android 12 seems tedious. Can it be done without using a PC?
I don't know, to be honest. I use magisk with desktop terminal. Best bet is to ask on XDA forums in the sub-forum for your specific device model.

Reactions: amirr

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.