Bravo F-secure! (Winner of AV-C Performance Test October 2020)

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Followed your instructions and just as you said, F-Secure did delete the file as soon I accessed the folder where I saved it. But, I was very able to not just restore the file, but also exclude it. Simply went to quarantine, and clicked Allowed and F-Secure asked if I really wanted to exclude the file and also allow it to be executed. It was of course not automatic executed/run but when or if I wanted. Refreshed the page where I had the folder and, Voilà the file was back.

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Followed your instructions and just as you said, F-Secure did delete the file as soon I accessed the folder where I saved it. But, I was very able to not just restore the file, but also exclude it. Simply went to quarantine, and clicked Allowed and F-Secure asked if I really wanted to exclude the file and also allow it to be executed. It was of course not automatic executed/run but when or if I wanted. Refreshed the page where I had the folder and, Voilà the file was back.
It's a random bug then. Not reproducible every time. Did F-Secure asked for system restart?

Reactions: upnorth

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
It's a random bug then. Not reproducible every time. Did F-Secure asked for system restart?
Nope it didn't and that is not something I personal see or recall much on my own system. Still, it was a interesting test. I'll see if I can find any more information about this possible bug on their forum as normally when it's a general bug, those get report a lot.

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Nope it didn't and that is not something I personal see or recall much on my own system. Still, it was a interesting test. I'll see if I can find any more information about this possible bug on their forum as normally when it's a general bug, those get report a lot.
The other one was related to sandboxie driver which was already installed on the system. Since it's a driver with a process that was already running, it probably caused F-Secure to ask for system restart. Then the sample I pointed you out was also detected. So I think you have check the other one to see if the bug happens.

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
The other one was related to sandboxie driver which was already installed on the system. Since it's a driver with a process that was already running, it probably caused F-Secure to ask for system restart. Then the sample I pointed you out was also detected. So I think you have check the other one to see if the bug happens.
Nah, I'm fine and satisfied enough and as I said, I will check their forum. Thanks anyway. (y)

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
A small tip! F-Secure even got an official channel for bug reports, except their support.

Almost forgot one thing! @SeriousHoax , about your upcoming bug test. Create a new thread instead. Point to this with a link if you like.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.