Troubleshoot BSOD with a picture of someone

Status
Not open for further replies.

DotNet

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Sep 4, 2017
I have been getting a memory management BSOD for a week now. Last night it was on the screen where it's gathering information and it will restart when I noticed an image of someone else's keyboard and hand supper imposed over the BSOD. There was a corner of their monitor visible and the system clock was on the left side and the keyboard was mechanical. I took out my phone to take a picture, but Windows restarted.
WTF?!!
I am doing a fresh install now and have googled this with no luck.

Zero Knowledge

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 2, 2016
Maybe it's a sign from a higher power? At best it's just someone messing with you, at worst it's someone sending you a message.

Reactions: vtqhtr413
Upvote 0

DotNet

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Sep 4, 2017
Maybe it's a sign from a higher power? At best it's just someone messing with you, at worst it's someone sending you a message.
I didn't think it was possible to get an image onto the BSOD screen. If I hadn't seen it I wouldn't believe it. The fact that the image was placed there is a clear "hey I hacked you" kind of thing. They could have done nothing and reeked havok leaving me to keep trouble shooting hardware issues. I will admit that I had no anti-virus running relying on Voodooshield. I still wanted to put this out for others to see and learn about. I wish I was faster with the camera!

Reactions: vtqhtr413
Upvote 0

Andrezj

Level 6
Nov 21, 2022
I didn't think it was possible to get an image onto the BSOD screen. If I hadn't seen it I wouldn't believe it. The fact that the image was placed there is a clear "hey I hacked you" kind of thing. They could have done nothing and reeked havok leaving me to keep trouble shooting hardware issues. I will admit that I had no anti-virus running relying on Voodooshield. I still wanted to put this out for others to see and learn about. I wish I was faster with the camera!
so you are saying you got hacked while running voodooshield

ps - malware that replaces or modifies the bsod screen has been around for a long time

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DotNet

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Sep 4, 2017
Yes, I was running only Voodooshield at default settings. I am the one to blame for any infection as I use what I call "riskware". Meaning programs modified by untrusted sources and game trainers from forums with little to no vetting. I am to blame for the issues. I thought the modified BSOD screen was note worthy as I've never heard of it before. The image may be a signature?

Reactions: Nevi and piquiteco
Upvote 0

piquiteco

Level 14
Oct 16, 2022
Yes, I was running only Voodooshield at default settings. I am the one to blame for any infection as I use what I call "riskware". Meaning programs modified by untrusted sources and game trainers from forums with little to no vetting. I am to blame for the issues. I thought the modified BSOD screen was note worthy as I've never heard of it before. The image may be a signature?
You could not take a print? or take a picture with your cell phone camera? when it is like this always leave your phone nearby.

Reactions: vtqhtr413 and Nevi
Upvote 0

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
For help with a possible infection, please start a new thread here:

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.