Status
Not open for further replies.

MrExplorer

Level 28
Verified
Nov 15, 2012
instead of Windows Defender you can use

Realtime:(only one of them)

-Avast Free Antivirus combined with Comodo Firewall or Online Armor (Recommended)

-AVG Free Antivirus combined with Comodo Firewall or Online Armor

-Panda Cloud Free Antivirus combined with Comodo Firewall or Online Armor

-Comodo Internet Security

P

Plexx

Unknown said:
instead of Windows Defender you can use

Realtime:(only one of them)

-Avast Free Antivirus combined with Comodo Firewall (Recommended)
-AVG Free Antivirus combined with Comodo Firewall
-Panda Cloud Free Antivirus combined with Comodo Firewall
-Comodo Internet Security combine with Threatfire - (optional)

I believe TF is not fully compatible with Windows 8.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
BSOD, nice config. +1 for no bloat. ;)

I'll be running a similar set-up to yours once my download completes.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Earth said:
BSOD, nice config. +1 for no bloat. ;)

I'll be running a similar set-up to yours once my download completes.

Agree excellent light config, Windows Defender plus Windows Firewall will sufficient if you always download files safely. No need for bloated security apps. I won't be upgrading to Windows 8, but if I did I would use the same config.

Thanks.:D

BSOD

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Sep 29, 2012
They haven't added Windows Defender to Explorer's context menus to scan files and folders, which is annoying. -.-

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Option 1 (Scan with...) :
http://www.thewindowsclub.com/add-scan-with-windows-defender-option-context-menu-windows-8

Option 2 (More... ) :
http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/8450-windows-defender-cascading-desktop-context-menu-create-windows-8-a.html

BSOD

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Sep 29, 2012
Earth said:
Option 1 (Scan with...) :
http://www.thewindowsclub.com/add-scan-with-windows-defender-option-context-menu-windows-8

Option 2 (More... ) :
http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/8450-windows-defender-cascading-desktop-context-menu-create-windows-8-a.html

Yep, I already Googled all that before posting but the fact that it isn't native is bothersome.

It's a sort of OCD. I don't want to add anything to the Registry even though I know it's clean and safe. Makes the Registry almost impure, lol.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
You could try this non-registry method >> LINK

• Scroll down to find;
"Advanced usage - scan just one file or folder with Windows Defender in Windows 8"
Results in - You can still use Command Prompt for scanning (and cleaning)
  • And the part below titled,
"Making the scanning easier"
Results in - You can drag any folder or file from File Explorer onto the batch file icon on Desktop and the item will be scanned.

D

Deleted member 178

BSOD said:
I don't want to add anything to the Registry even though I know it's clean and safe. Makes the Registry almost impure, lol.

:lolz: so my registry deserve to be burn as a witch ^^

BSOD

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Sep 29, 2012
Changed to Avast! because of random CPU spikes and plus, the whole MSE failing the recent tests have psychologically made me do this.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Were they random CPU spikes caused by Windows Defender; During what?

Btw, I'm now using Windows 8 too. :D

BSOD

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Sep 29, 2012
Earth said:
Were they random CPU spikes caused by Windows Defender; During what?

Btw, I'm now using Windows 8 too. :D

I am not sure what exactly caused the spikes but the process would randomly cause my PC to glitch albeit just a little bit. I think scheduled scans and updates. Whatever they were, I find Avast! lighter.

How do you like Windows 8? :)

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
It's great, very simple to set-up and use. I only need better hardware. :D

I had random spikes too, so I did disable RT protection of Windows Defender.

MrExplorer

Level 28
Verified
Nov 15, 2012
Nice Config but just Use any AntiVirus you Like such as Comodo Internet Security | Avast Free & if you have paid key try that.

avastalicious

Verified
Jan 30, 2013
Be careful if you are running without any AV though. It's no biggie, I ran like that a whole year without getting any infection.

Just make sure to have all Windows updates to shut down any exploits, and use a USB immunizer such as Panda USB Vaccine or Bitdefender USB Immunizer (to prevent malware distribution if you carry and use a USB stick on different computers). I see that you already use Sandboxie so you should be fine.

Also, do a image backup of the C:\ drive to be totally sure (with Macrium Reflect or Acronis True Image). :D

P.S. Have you tried AVG Free 2013? It totally runs awesome on a 2004 PC I've tested it on.
Also their detection seems to have improved on the 2013 version.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Ahh, I guess then you're using Common Sense on you're PC? If so you are really brave. Do you use Sandboxie a lot more now?

BSOD

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Sep 29, 2012
MrExplorer said:
Nice Config but just Use any AntiVirus you Like such as Comodo Internet Security | Avast Free & if you have paid key try that.

avastalicious said:
Be careful if you are running without any AV though. It's no biggie, I ran like that a whole year without getting any infection.

Just make sure to have all Windows updates to shut down any exploits, and use a USB immunizer such as Panda USB Vaccine or Bitdefender USB Immunizer (to prevent malware distribution if you carry and use a USB stick on different computers). I see that you already use Sandboxie so you should be fine.

Also, do a image backup of the C:\ drive to be totally sure (with Macrium Reflect or Acronis True Image). :D

P.S. Have you tried AVG Free 2013? It totally runs awesome on a 2004 PC I've tested it on.
Also their detection seems to have improved on the 2013 version.

McLovin said:
Ahh, I guess then you're using Common Sense on you're PC? If so you are really brave. Do you use Sandboxie a lot more now?

I have used Avast, Avira, Windows Defender but I just wanted my PC to boot faster.

I don't visit malicious websites. Only the ones I know. Every time I download something even slightly suspicious, I use MBAM, VirusTotal to scan and confirm. And, if it's more suspicious than that, I use Sandboxie.

I don't have Java installed, use an AdBlocker. I feel pretty safe.

Yep, I do use a USB Immunizer. Blocked autoruns. I run on-demand scans twice or thrice a month.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.