Not open for further replies.

3link9

Level 5
Verified
Oct 22, 2011
RE: BSOD's configuration //Need feedback

BSOD said:
3link9 said:
No real time protection? Ehhhhh...........

Really not a good idea even though you know what your doing.

Why aren't you using any real time protection?

I just added the last few lines in the OP. Explains why.

I have the installer for Avast!, MSE ready but I want to check this out for a while.
Go for Avast, My personal favorite. Avast was my first Anti-Virus that i used when I got rid of McAfee a couple of years ago which I used all my life on the computer/internet. Highly recommend it! If you want to can add a good companion like Webroot as Webroot is VERY light and compatible with many AV's. It may have a low detection rate but like everyone says, You gotta learn how it works. I love Webroot and this is coming from a paranoid user who is VERY picky when it comes to security software.

As for MSE, Stay away!

Overkill

Level 31
Verified
Honorary Member
Feb 15, 2012

Avast was my first Anti-Virus that i used when I got rid of McAfee a couple of years ago which I used all my life on the computer/internet. Highly recommend it!

Same here, I used Zone Alarm IS years ago, then Mcafee, then Avast and Comodo

Why do you dislike MSE 3link9 ?

3link9

Level 5
Verified
Oct 22, 2011

MRF71 said:
Avast was my first Anti-Virus that i used when I got rid of McAfee a couple of years ago which I used all my life on the computer/internet. Highly recommend it!

Why do you dislike MSE 3link9 ?

Because EVERY test I seen as well as my own, MSE has performed Very poorly. MSE has low detection rates, NO prevention features, Slow removal, etc. I cleaned a lot of computers running MSE and infact, When I used MSE before learning about it I almost got hit with a ransom and my cousin had a rootkit, over 60 trojans, and a keylogger. I dislike MSE with a passion and I'm a big Microsoft guy and I love to use any Microsoft program except MSE and IE. (However I gotten a liking to IE10)

Overkill

Level 31
Verified
Honorary Member
Feb 15, 2012

I know quite a few people that brags up and down about MSE but like you I have seen too many reviews that say otherwise, I'll stick with Avast or Comodo.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011

According to your config, you never get infections.

Because you must know how to safely download, browse the web, avoid infected sites, etc. because no matter what solution you used, you would have got a few infections.

Which setups have you tried in the past?

Whatever you have did before kept yourself from getting infections, why would you want to change anything?

If you find a setup that works good then keep it.

Thanks.:D

BSOD

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Sep 29, 2012

Littlebits said:

Because you must know how to safely download, browse the web, avoid infected sites, etc. because no matter what solution you used, you would have got a few infections.

Whatever you have did before kept yourself from getting infections, why would you want to change anything?

I have has ESET 4 in the past and I haven't gotten infected ever since. After my license expired, I thought I'd give free AV's a spin. It's mostly common sense and safe web surfing habits that have gotten me so far (along with good AVs, of course.)

I want to change my config for the best PC performance to best AV ratio. Hence.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011

BSOD said:
Littlebits said:

I have has ESET 4 in the past and I haven't gotten infected ever since. After my license expired, I thought I'd give free AV's a spin. It's mostly common sense and safe web surfing habits that have gotten me so far (along with good AVs, of course.)

I want to change my config for the best PC performance to best AV ratio. Hence.

Ok now I understand, so you just want to use a free AV instead of buying one. Since you already know the basic skills to avoid malware several free solutions would work good for you. Avast is my personal favorite because it gives you protection comparable to paid solutions and is very lite on your system even with all shields installed and enabled. Basic Windows Firewall works great with Avast.

Of coarse since every user has difference preferences, some will choose AVG Free, Avira or Microsoft Security Essentials. All would be excellent choices. FortiClient Lite is also really good.

All you can do is try one at a time for like a 30 day trial and see what you like the best. You need to give them at least 30 days before coming to an conclusion because some might start out heavy and get lighter whereas other may start out lite and get heavier. In my opinion, they all have about the same detection rate. The difference will not matter that much if you always watch what you download and install.

Enjoy!!:D

BSOD

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Sep 29, 2012
McLovin said:
No WOT or Lastpass?

Yeah, WOT has a lot of FalsePositives for whatever reason and I didn't see myself listening to it anyway.

Lastpass, neah. I use Chrome's inbuilt form filler.

Added VTchromizer.

BSOD

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Sep 29, 2012
I started of with being really minimal, went up to being "paranoid" by adding so many applications and I am back to being minimal after learning a lot in between. :)

madyrocksin

Jul 30, 2012
aren't you having any problem with avast and comodo ???
rest looks cleaner, i myself have removed a lot of it, relying more on host manger and EMET ;)

BSOD

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Sep 29, 2012
madyrocksin said:
aren't you having any problem with avast and comodo ???
rest looks cleaner, i myself have removed a lot of it, relying more on host manger and EMET ;)

Nope, no conflicts so far. I even added each other's ".exe" into their exception list just in case.

D

Deleted member 178

BSOD said:
Nope, no conflicts so far. I even added each other's ".exe" into their exception list just in case.

what everybody should do ^^

D

Deleted member 178

mostly from Avast Web Shield on some system but not all, each system is different despite same OS & softs.

Overkill

Level 31
Verified
Honorary Member
Feb 15, 2012

That usually happens automatically don't it? atleast with cis

D

Deleted member 178

MRF71 said:
That usually happens automatically don't it? atleast with cis

not in all apps, CIS does it grace to its whitelist

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.