Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
Smartscreen can't be reached right now
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
Check my internet connection
I setup my Windows 10 Build 1803 last night, and I keep getting this Smartscreen pop up every time I tried to run my software. I can check and install updates through Windows Update fine.
Smartscreen can't be reached right now. Check your internet connection. Windows Defender Smartscreen is unreachable and can't help you decide if this app is ok to run.

Do any of you guys have this smartscreen can't be reached when you download a new app and run it? I tested on my laptop, and I am getting the same result as a new clean installation on my desktop.

Last edited:

SumTingWong

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
Upvote 0

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Now, I've tried running two different files with "Run as Administrator" and as "RunBySmartscreen" and I'm getting different results.
Why should you get the same results?:(
First "Run as administrator" force executables to elevate, and RunBySmartscreen not.
Second, "Run as administrator" does not force executables to be checked by SmartScreen, but RunBySmartscreen does.
There are some more differences for files with dangerous extensions like BAT, CMD, etc.
One file NOT allowed to run either as "Run as Administrator" or "RunbySmartscreen", only "Don't Run" option appearing.
That is normal behavior for files that are recognized by Windows as downloaded from the Internet.
One file IS allowed to Run as Admin with UAC prompt, and then using "RunBySmartscreen" without either RBS prompt or UAC prompt. Really crazy!
That is normal for files that are not recognized by Windows as downloaded from the Internet and located in Windows, Program Files or Program Files (x86) folders and do not require to elevate.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Andy Ful

Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Yesterday at first it would not work for me on spybot exe but then later it did but then it would not work for a 7-zip exe. have not tried again today.
If one runs 7-ZIP installers, then they should not trigger SmartScreen Window, except when SmartScreen server does not respond ("SmartScreen can't be reached now"). Those executables are already whitelisted by SmartScreen Application Reputation.

Upvote 0

Andy Ful

Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Tried again, it works for me. That is strange. I will try to repeat testing SmartScreen every 10 minutes for the one hour period, to see if I missed something.
Test finished. On 7 tries via RunBySmartscreen (the same executable was tested) one event triggered the "SmartScreen can't be reached right now".(y)

Upvote 0

SumTingWong

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
I think mine is working now? :unsure:. Yesterday, CrystalDiskMark exe triggered Smartscreen, and I haven't approved it to run yet. Now, I tried it again today and it doesn't triggered Smartscreen at all. I also tried AdwareRemoval Tool by TSA and InSpectre as well.

Upvote 0

Serious Noize

Level 5
Verified
Jan 13, 2014
Glad I use the 30 days update pause, I have been seeing a lot of issues there and here over build 1803. I hope they will be solved asap, since most people already updated.

You done the right thing. I wish I would have. Update 1803 has been a pain for me in various ways. I can't stand that stupid feature called 'ACTIVITY HISTORY" where it says "Let apps collect my activities from this PC" which was turned on apparently by default. First thing I turned off. While I get they are on this "PICK UP WHERE YOU LEFT OFF WORKING" crap, I for one don't like that idea. I'd rather like to choose where and what I was working on myself, but not only that, there is SYSTEM RESTORE to really pick up where you left off. But in my Case, I have decided to no longer use that either in favor of Image backups and the system running speedier without it.

Oh well, sorry to sound like an old cry baby. My PC was running like a humming bird singing like a sewing machine until I updated to 1803. Since then, I've made some tweaks and got it back. I just can't get rid of that stupid "SmartSCREEN cannot be reached". I am wondering though if that Smartscreen can't be reached is because of this stupid ACTIVITY HISTORY feature they've added and it's overloading their servers or something. I have no idea. but it is a thought.

Anyway, you were right man! Kudos! I will be following your advice in the future when it comes to updates!

Upvote 0

darko999

Level 17
Verified
Well-known
Oct 2, 2014
You done the right thing. I wish I would have. Update 1803 has been a pain for me in various ways. I can't stand that stupid feature called 'ACTIVITY HISTORY" where it says "Let apps collect my activities from this PC" which was turned on apparently by default. First thing I turned off. While I get they are on this "PICK UP WHERE YOU LEFT OFF WORKING" crap, I for one don't like that idea. I'd rather like to choose where and what I was working on myself, but not only that, there is SYSTEM RESTORE to really pick up where you left off. But in my Case, I have decided to no longer use that either in favor of Image backups and the system running speedier without it.

Oh well, sorry to sound like an old cry baby. My PC was running like a humming bird singing like a sewing machine until I updated to 1803. Since then, I've made some tweaks and got it back. I just can't get rid of that stupid "SmartSCREEN cannot be reached". I am wondering though if that Smartscreen can't be reached is because of this stupid ACTIVITY HISTORY feature they've added and it's overloading their servers or something. I have no idea. but it is a thought.

Anyway, you were right man! Kudos! I will be following your advice in the future when it comes to updates!

I could ran out of luck tho, sometimes the 30 days pause just ended and updates will install, if they are ready to be downloaded and installed. However, this time I was lucky since my update pause will last until 31 of this month, giving me some time to read what to do when this update will be just installed after 31 of this month. Some people would love to just never upgrade to build 1803, but I will install it as soon as my pause update period expires; hopefully at that time it may be better than the inicial release, or it may not. Let's hope we are lucky lol. I hope your smartscreen issue will be fixed soon, just curious, do you run any AV or security solution, at the moment of upgrading into build 1803? thanks.

Upvote 0

SumTingWong

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018

You still have the issue with Smartscreen can't be reached today as well?

Upvote 0

Serious Noize

Level 5
Verified
Jan 13, 2014
You still have the issue with Smartscreen can't be reached today as well?

When I checked a file earlier I had that problem and as of now that was probably 4 hours ago.

Since then I've made some changes to my system to where I no longer need to rely on smartscreen.

Microsoft in my opinion should have smart screen and user account control combined as one rather than having you to deal with both running around in circles. What's really stupid about some of the smart screen settings is the fact that some of them are still controlled by Internet Explorer which is no longer supported by Microsoft/Their disclaimer I guess.

So I ask you tech experts, I am using Emsisoft with behavior blocker and Zone Alarm Free Firewall which seems to be running great. DO I really need in all honesty SMART SCREEN "Which isn't smart enough to work as of now and can not be reached", or do I really need UAC with this setup? I mean, Come on, why carry the extra luggage on the system of UAC and SMARTSCREEN?

I'm keeping them on as of now, and just thought I would ask you techies who might know in this reply? But I should mention and ASK : Do they not do the same thing in protecting your system, layered defense is useless if it brings your system to a crawl where it cannot function properly to the point that something slips through virus/malware/spyware wise, I mean in reality that's how hackers start on hacking your system by overloading the router/firewall with packets, well basics I guess you might say, or so I have heard that is from reading on the net.

Reactions: SumTingWong
Upvote 0

Serious Noize

Level 5
Verified
Jan 13, 2014
I could ran out of luck tho, sometimes the 30 days pause just ended and updates will install, if they are ready to be downloaded and installed. However, this time I was lucky since my update pause will last until 31 of this month, giving me some time to read what to do when this update will be just installed after 31 of this month. Some people would love to just never upgrade to build 1803, but I will install it as soon as my pause update period expires; hopefully at that time it may be better than the inicial release, or it may not. Let's hope we are lucky lol. I hope your smartscreen issue will be fixed soon, just curious, do you run any AV or security solution, at the moment of upgrading into build 1803? thanks.

Thanks. Your right about that, because the 1709 update I think it was, I had my system set on manual to NOT INSTALL IT.

I had my Windows 10 setup PRE 1709 set to manual updates, and then one day I clicked restart on my PC because some software I installed required it, can't remember what it was, and all the sudden it started updating Windows 10 to update 1709 version, which in all honesty was working great for me, no complaints on it.

But apparently, regardless of updates settings in the registry or inside Windows 10, it will do as it pleases when there is an update they deem to secure their system. Or in other words "Want to know more per their terms perhaps, I dunno., but it's upsetting to feel like your held hostage using an operating system. And yeah, sure I could use Linux, and I have, but it doesn't support thousands of dollars worth of software that I have paid for that I use recording my music and doing other such things.

LOL! On a side note, think about this, the word : distur-BING. LOL, Get it, the Bing search engine. Oh well, my comedy isn't what it used to be, although I have been called a joke by a few of my ex's in the last few years, but that's another story. :LOL:

Please don't take anything "WHOEVER READS THIS" as fact or fiction or the here and now. It is simply me hypothesizing on a few of my thoughts where my issues with software and computers are concerned.

I am not Billy Gater, Nor am I a Billionaire, so I do not wish to be sued by one. I wish I could say : "But I did stay at a Holiday Inn Last Night", but the problem with that, hotels have bed bugs now days, so I'd rather camp and sleep on the ground.

Oh well, sorry to rant so much friends. I feel your pain, and just trying to express my issues to let you know that I am in the same boat where that goes.

Reactions: SumTingWong
Upvote 0

darko999

Level 17
Verified
Well-known
Oct 2, 2014
@Serious Noize

It's obviously up to you, it's your computer you should try and test what works best for you. My myself have both UAC and SmartScreen, even when I use third party AV. They have a purpose and they work, if for some reason my AV fails to work properly there is always an additional chance that either UAC or Smartscreen could save the execution of bad .exe as an example. If a hacker gets in and owns admin rights smartscreen and UAC are pretty much useless, as may be your third party security software in most cases. But if your computer is clean, I like both UAC and SmartScreen.

Upvote 0

Andy Ful

Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
What's really stupid about some of the smart screen settings is the fact that some of them are still controlled by Internet Explorer which is no longer supported by Microsoft/Their disclaimer I guess.
They are not controlled by IE, but the opposite is true. SmartScreen is one of the best features to protect people who still use IE. There is another question, why do they do this.
So I ask you tech experts, I am using Emsisoft with behavior blocker and Zone Alarm Free Firewall which seems to be running great. DO I really need in all honesty SMART SCREEN "Which isn't smart enough to work as of now and can not be reached", or do I really need UAC with this setup? I mean, Come on, why carry the extra luggage on the system of UAC and SMARTSCREEN?
Your irritation is probably justified. But it is always risky to draw general conclusions, when being irritated by something.
UAC is deeply rooted in the system, and turning it OFF is far more than just not seeing the UAC prompt.
SmartScreen Application Reputation is the best available (free) 0-day reputation cloud service for application installers. It has some problems sometimes, but I am using it constantly, and usually, it behaves well. People who do not install many applications, probably did not notice any problem with it. And you are right that UAC and SmartScreen Application Reputation could be improved (I have some ideas about it.).
Both UAC and SmartScreen have nothing to do with possible Windows 10 slowdowns.
Do they not do the same thing in protecting your system, layered defense is useless if it brings your system to a crawl where it cannot function properly to the point that something slips through virus/malware/spyware wise, I mean in reality that's how hackers start on hacking your system by overloading the router/firewall with packets, well basics I guess you might say, or so I have heard that is from reading on the net.
The layered defense based on the built-in Windows10 features is for sure faster and more stable than the setup based on any AV and any 3-rd party firewall.
I am with you when you are saying that making the computer to be a Fort Knox is unnecessary, especially for Experts.:notworthy:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.