Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
Smartscreen can't be reached right now
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
Check my internet connection
I setup my Windows 10 Build 1803 last night, and I keep getting this Smartscreen pop up every time I tried to run my software. I can check and install updates through Windows Update fine.
Smartscreen can't be reached right now. Check your internet connection. Windows Defender Smartscreen is unreachable and can't help you decide if this app is ok to run.

Do any of you guys have this smartscreen can't be reached when you download a new app and run it? I tested on my laptop, and I am getting the same result as a new clean installation on my desktop.

Last edited:

Daniel Keller

Level 2
Verified
Dec 28, 2016
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Try to install 7-Zip, and I still get this. It is very annoying.
O/T.
If you have downloaded the software from a known website and your AV is not flagging it, then how can it be annoying? Click Run.

Also I think it's been mentioned a couple times that SS won't function without an active Internet connection, or is it's down on the other end - which is the probably case here.

Reactions: harlan4096
Upvote 0

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Smarts

I can install VoodooShield without triggered Smartscreen can't be reached at all. What about yours?
For me, SmartSreen works well.
SmartScreen for Explorer can be easily checked. First check if it is enabled and set to WARN. Next, download the application installer (EXE or MSI) to your hard disk via any browser (except Edge or IE) and run it. If you will not see any SmartScreen alert or you will see the standard SmartScreen alert, then it works.
If you will see "SmartScreen can't be reached right now" then it does not work.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Andy Ful

Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
probably cause VS has signed installers.
SmartScreen reputation AI uses a more complicated algorithm. For example, Hard_Configurator installer executables are not signed, but they are always sent to Microsoft for manual analysis. After about one month they are whitelisted by SmartScreen.
Signing the applications will shorten the time to build a sufficient reputation.
Only the applications digitally signed with Extended Validation (EV) Code Signing Certificate, are automatically accepted.
MS SmartScreen and Application Reputation | DigiCert Blog

Upvote 0

mekelek

Level 28
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2017
SmartScreen reputation AI uses a more complicated algorithm. For example, Hard_Configurator installer executables are not signed, but they are always sent to Microsoft for manual analysis. After about one month they are whitelisted by SmartScreen.
Signing the applications will shorten the time to build a sufficient reputation.
Only the applications digitally signed with Extended Validation (EV) Code Signing Certificate, are automatically accepted.
MS SmartScreen and Application Reputation | DigiCert Blog
newly signed stuff has to be signed with an EV cert for Windows 10 as far as i know?
or does that only apply to drivers?

Upvote 0

Andy Ful

Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
newly signed stuff has to be signed with an EV cert for Windows 10 as far as i know?
or does that only apply to drivers?
That is related only to the new kernel drivers when Secure Boot is set in BIOS. SmartScreen has anything in common with Driver Signing Policy introduced in Windows 10 ver. 1607.
Driver Signing Policy

Upvote 0

Andy Ful

Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Post #27. Aida64 has signed the installer, but Smartscreen can't be reached.
Unfortunately, that says nothing about whitelisting Aida64 by SmartScreen (because it cannot be reached). That only says that Windows recognized Aida64 as downloaded from the Internet and tried to check its reputation (unsuccessfully).
If you still can see "Smartscreen can't be reached right now" alert, then the SmartScreen cloud is unavailable from your location.:(
I think that it is a location problem or new system problem, because SmartScreen works well for me on Windows ver. 1709.
Did SmartScreen work well for you in the past?

Upvote 0

SumTingWong

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
Unfortunately, that says nothing about whitelisting Aida64 by SmartScreen (because it cannot be reached). That only says that Windows recognized Aida64 as downloaded from the Internet and tried to check its reputation (unsuccessfully).
If you still can see "Smartscreen can't be reached right now" alert, then the SmartScreen cloud is unavailable from your location.:(
I think that it is a location problem or new system problem, because SmartScreen works well for me on Windows ver. 1709.
Did SmartScreen work well for you in the past?

In 1709, it works wonderful. Smartscreen can't be reached happened when I clean installed 1803 onto my desktop.

Upvote 0

Andy Ful

Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
After doing some research, I suspect that it may be the temporary Microsoft solution for a bug in Windows 10 ver. 1803.
The bug silently blocked some Universal Applications, because when executing them, the standard SmartScreen alert was invisible. So, I think that Microsoft could intentionally disable the cloud response for the machines with Windows 10 ver. 1803.
This can be easily verified if there is anybody on Windows 10 ver. 1803, who has SmartScreen for Explorer fully functional.
See the post below post how to check the file via SmartScreen for Explorer:
Need Help - (Build1803)Smartscreen can't be reached right now

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Sunshine-boy

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2017
Has anyone seen such alert from SmartScreen?

qQvb9ckcAS.png

it tells me that the file is malicious.as far as I know, it won't tell if a file is safe or dangerous.
@Andy Ful time to shine:)

Upvote 0

Andy Ful

Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Has anyone seen such alert from SmartScreen?

View attachment 207964
it tells me that the file is malicious.as far as I know, it won't tell if a file is safe or dangerous.
@Andy Ful time to shine:)
It is your duty to shine, isn't it?:giggle:
When SmartScreen do not know if the file is safe or dangerous, then you will get a blue alert - the file is not in the reputation base. The red alert means that the file from your post is in the reputation base, and for some reason is recognized as malicious.(y)
How Microsoft identifies malware and potentially unwanted applications

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.