Advice Request Building Windows 8 - Development stages

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
A first look at the new "Windows 8" user interface.

Microsoft said:
Building robust USB 3.0 support

One of the important roles Windows plays as part of a broad ecosystem is developing support for new hardware. This is a pretty involved process and so for this post we wanted to take a look at supporting USB 3.0, something we know everyone is anxious to be using because of the improvements it brings. This is also our first video post – we aimed for "engineering" videos and not high production values but I think we make our point (note videos are embedded in HTML5 and available for download). If you're like me when looking at the video, you might think that those file copy progress indicators are looking a bit dated…stay tuned. This post was authored by Dennis Flanagan, the Director of Program Management for the Devices and Networking group.

Read more...

Microsoft said:
Improvements in Windows Explorer

Windows Explorer is a foundation of the user experience of the Windows desktop and has undergone several design changes over the years, but has not seen a substantial change in quite some time. Windows 8 is about reimagining Windows, so we took on the challenge to improve the most widely used desktop tool (except maybe for Solitaire) in Windows. Alex Simons on the program management team authored this post with a detailed look at the evolution of Explorer and the major improvements to its interface and functionality for Windows 8. Judging by the passion on file operations and user interface design, we know this is an important subject so we expect a pretty engaged dialog on the topic. We put this in one lengthy post, will watch the comments and dialog, and down the road we'll continue the discussion.

Read more....

Microsoft said:
Improving our file management basics: copy, move, rename, and delete

We wanted to do an early Windows 8 post about one of the most used features, and one we have not improved substantially in a long time. With the increasing amount of local storage measured in terabytes, containing photos (in multiple formats and very large files), music, and video, these common operations are being taxed in new ways. These changes, along with consistent feedback about what we could improve, have inspired us to take a fresh look and redesign these operations. Of course this is just one feature among many, but we wanted to start with something we can all relate to. Alex Simons is a director of program management on our Windows engineering team and authored this post on the redesign of some Windows file management basics. (PS: A lot of folks asked about Building Windows 8 Video #1 -- this is the user experience demo, http://win8.ms/uxpreview1. The numbering seems to be confusing so this will be our last numbered video.)
Read more....

Microsoft said:
Accessing data in ISO and VHD files

In continuing with the improvements in core Windows functionality and also oft-requested features, we are adding native Explorer support for ISO and VHD files in Windows 8. While terabytes of storage are available to all of us, managing disk (or disc) image formats remains important for a number of mission-critical operations in many organizations and among power users. We know even more support for VHD is a big request, so stay tuned. Rajeev Nagar authored this post. He is a group program manager on our Storage & File Systems team

Read more...

Windows 8 Official Blog : http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/

Last edited:
I

illumination

Windows finally gets native ISO support in Windows 8

Microsoft just let the world know that Windows 8 will come with native support for ISO and VHD files in Explorer! But there’s a catch…
Read More

Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
6102.Metro_2D00_style_2D00_UI_5F00_thumb_5F00_783D9FFF.jpg

Microsoft has start talking about the new look for the Windows 8 UI,
Windows 8 will have two UI , a improved Windows desktop and new UI called "Metro" which is the highly graphical design that is pictured above and is made to be used primarily for touch screens devices.

Microsoft said:
Our design goal was clear: no compromises. If you want to, you can seamlessly switch between Metro style apps and the improved Windows desktop. Existing apps, devices, and tools all remain and are improved in Windows 8. On the other hand, if you prefer to immerse yourself in only Metro style apps (and platform) and the new user experience, you can do that as well! Developers can target the APIs that make sense for the software they wish to deliver. People can debate how much they need or don't need different aspects of the product, but that has always been the case. All of this is made possible by the flexibility of Windows.

You can read more here.

win7holic

Apr 20, 2011
i don't likes the ribbon. too many command (we can right click for all of it) and, make it big bar caused of it :s
but, luckily we can customize it (minimized ribbon). :)

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I like the Ribbon UI, it makes tasks much more simpler.

Plus screens are now mostly of the higher resolution, so it shouldn't be a problem. Unless you still run on 800x600. :lol:

win7holic

Apr 20, 2011
you know. we can still use it with right click or, if don't likes we can push it all (minimized it)
nowadays, notebook minimum have 14inch. i'll try using my TV with 27 inch with my laptop :D

Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
mq7dw.png

The new Windows Explorer toolbar seems like was taken straight from the Office app :p

win7holic

Apr 20, 2011
i don't like it as jack said. it's like office apps. :D
but, i likes at under. no have lot white space. in windows 8 ,it minimal just for total files or file size. i love it.
for me, i just make minimal the ribbon UI (minimize it)

Hungry Man

Jul 21, 2011
Important to note that
a) The ribbon is off by default
b) The tablet-UI is just that, a tablet-UI. Regular Windows users will have the default desktop.

win7holic

Apr 20, 2011
off by default?
no. it's default we get it when first installation.
and we can minimize it (customize it)

moonshine

Level 7
Verified
Apr 19, 2011
It's been said that the Ribbon UI is off at default so please stop misleading other users.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Default On or Off, can you provide a link | source for proof. Thanks :D

win7holic

Apr 20, 2011
you can read at this storm.
at above already have link like this.
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2011/08/29/improvements-in-windows-explorer.aspx

The new Quick Access Toolbar (QAT) in Explorer provides a lot of customization opportunities. Similar to Office, by right-clicking any button in the ribbon, you can add it to the QAT. Additionally, you can choose to have the QAT display above or below the ribbon, and to display the ribbon in an open or minimized state. This is a big increase in the level of customization available in Explorer (you can choose approximately 200 commands to add to the QAT) and returns it to a level equal to or greater than we had in Windows XP.

you know. we just can minimize it ,but it's on by default.

moonshine

Level 7
Verified
Apr 19, 2011
Yes we can minimize it but nothing's said at the link that the Ribbon UI is on by default.

win7holic

Apr 20, 2011
but, as logic we can thought it will be on by default all video about windows 8 it's always show up.

if you said it's off. show the link ,please. thank you.

moonshine

Level 7
Verified
Apr 19, 2011
Of course They will turn it on because they're showing off that feature, I don't have a link but think of it this way, Microsoft puts the user first so they will make the Ribbon UI off by default so it will not occupy too much screen space so people will have more space to work on.

win7holic

Apr 20, 2011
windows 8 will using Ribbon UI as default and can be customize it, as i said before.
Microsoft shows off more changes in Windows 8, including a ribbon interface for Windows Explorer

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.