Software Review Can Firewall save you from being Hacked? (PC Security Channel)

Reviews reflect the reviewer's setup and methods. Check the evidence and limitations.
Thread details
Content created by
PC Security Channel
Interesting video! Firewalls indeed play a significant role in preventing unauthorized access. However, it's also crucial to keep your software updated and use strong, unique passwords for complete protection.
 
Isn't Tinywall an abandoned project by its dev? Why recommend users to install it?
As always, Leo and his lack of research before making a video. I could've given him a pass on this as it seems that he mainly wanted to show how using a firewall that blocks outbound connection can stop some malware from doing anything. Then again, at the end of the video he says that he doesn't know by what procedure Tinywall is blocking these connections and end up recommending it to his viewers.
He's a lazy YouTuber.
 
As always, Leo and his lack of research before making a video. I could've given him a pass on this as it seems that he mainly wanted to show how using a firewall that blocks outbound connection can stop some malware from doing anything. Then again, at the end of the video he says that he doesn't know by what procedure Tinywall is using to block these connections and end up recommending it to his viewers.
He's a lazy YouTuber.
But... he did show one of my favorites, at least for first outbound connection information, Glasswire free.
 
But... he did show one of my favorites, at least for first outbound connection information, Glasswire free.
Yeah, Glasswire is a nice program. I used it a couple of times in the past like 5-6 years ago, but I remember that it had issues with torrent clients. Since public torrents connects and tries connecting to hundreds of peers at the same time, these hundreds of attempts were making glasswire use high amount of CPU, 5-10 % probably all the time. At that time, they said they won't fix it. I don't know what happened after that. I moved to another similar program, NetLimiter which is also fantastic but not as eye-catching as Glasswire. Haven't even used NetLimiter since Windows 11 came out.
 
Is Comodo's stand alone firewall being kept up to date? Would that be a better alternative?
Checkpoint zonealarm firewall has antibot included and Symantec IPS component blocks majority of malware so both are great alternatives
"IPS Is Irreplaceable. IPS is responsible for 96% of all threat detections made by SEP. "

Personally using Symantec but checkpoint is probably on par with default Symantec (ips, firewall)
 
Checkpoint zonealarm firewall has antibot included and Symantec IPS component blocks majority of malware so both are great alternatives
"IPS Is Irreplaceable. IPS is responsible for 96% of all threat detections made by SEP. "

Personally using Symantec but checkpoint is probably on par with default Symantec (ips, firewall)
I deploy the IPS blade to all systems in conjunction with whatever solution is used.
 
Isn't Tinywall an abandoned project by its dev?
Not exactly. I'd call it passive support. TW's developer @pylorak (aka @ultim @ MT & Wilders) responds to issues at TW's GitHub page. Apparently he provides small fixes and accepts feature requests. You may look at the open & closed issues to check . There is no release info at GitHub, and the download link on the Read.me page redirects users to his own TW webpage, which he still maintains. I think he only has the energy to devote to GitHub but not other forums, and he's less likely to be bombarded with questions, requests, etc. His latest activity is November 2024.
Why recommend users to install it?
That's an open question, based on the above.
 
Last edited:
I never paid a lot of attention to him, but did visit his site and found he did a short review on Portmaster, and thought pretty highly of it.

Still on Comodo here, with no plans to change. I have been debating Portmaster free though.

Same here,Comodo FW with Custom Ruleset. I have to know and approve any connection,I am the master.:p
:p
 
some other great free alternatives are
simplewall it has its own built in telemetry blocking lists another alternative is portmaster free which is more complete and has systmewide dns , and also has the ability to block tracking and various other unwanted apps and spying , the program gives the user extended and grannular control of every connection and all the apps installed. i run these 2 in tandem and they run smoothly and without hickups
 

Recently browsing

Members who viewed this thread in the last 5 minutes

Back
Top