Advice Request Can I use BTL and MBG together?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Tiamati

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 8, 2016
Can I use Bitdefender TrafficLight and Malwareytes Browser Guard at the same time? I know they offer redundant protection. But i'm interested specially in this MBG feature:

1678683155791.png

This feature could protect against infected but legit webpages. So i'm activating this trio in my Edge profile for online transactions.

1678683233751.png

Opinions? ty

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Can I use Bitdefender TrafficLight and Malwareytes Browser Guard at the same time? I know they offer redundant protection. But i'm interested specially in this MBG feature:

View attachment 273527

This feature could protect against infected but legit webpages. So i'm activating this trio in my Edge profile for online transactions.

View attachment 273528

Opinions? ty
Both are good, you can use them all, but IMO there is no need to run Bitdefender, Netcraft and MalwareBytes at the same time.
If your av of choice doesn't have an extension, just choose one.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
In regards to Advanced Skimmer Protection in Malwarebytes Browser Guard, this is what I have found.
Q: Just updated to 2.4.0 and just saw a new protection option enabled called "Advanced Skimmer Protection" and wanted to know what does that new protection do, and as i'm seeing that involves cards numbers also wanted to have a little bit more of information about that regarding privacy.

A: It's a means of preventing malicious scripts from picking up your payment information. We do absolutely nothing to identify or work with the actual data.
Q: I thought while paying for something on an encrypted site with ssl certificate meant that the conection was secure so no one else could see or do anything with that data. I'm not an expert on this matter as you can see hahaha. And as you say anything is stored or saved by Malwarebytes, right?

A: If there's a malicious script running on the site in question it could pick up the data as you key it in. Correct, Malwarebytes does NOT do anything to identify or use data you enter.
Source: Malwarebytes Forum (April 2022)

Tiamati

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 8, 2016
"A: It's a means of preventing malicious scripts from picking up your payment information. We do absolutely nothing to identify or work with the actual data."

I wonder if BTL can do the same. I was looking specifically for this protection as i think i may have beem a victim of skimming recently, despite using BTL.

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Netcraft has the following description for "JavaScript skimmers" or named in extension settings "Block shopping site skimmers"
Criminals hide snippets of malicious code in online shops and other websites that accept payments. If you enter your payment details into a site that has been compromised with a skimmer, they get sent to the criminal as well as the website itself. JavaScript skimmers often go undetected by online shops and their visitors for long periods of time, as there is normally no change to the content or performance of the website.
The Netcraft Extension protects users by warning them when they attempt to visit a website that is known to be compromised with a JavaScript skimmer, and blocking any requests to URLs known to be used for skimming. It also features credential leak detection, which blocks suspicious requests containing a credit card number.
Source: https://www.netcraft.com/apps/browser/

NC.png

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
Or only Malwarebytes Browser Guard, that combines the great web protection of TrafficLight and the skimmer protection of Netcraft :D
Their ad blocker is half way decent as well if you really want to reduce the amount of extensions you have. Also, Malwarebytes Browser Guard is supposedly one of the more privacy friendly security extensions.

goodjohnjr

Level 5
Verified
Jul 11, 2018

View attachment 273527

View attachment 273528

Opinions? ty
Yes, you can use both, I am currently using both.

Malwarebytes Browser Guard has some features that Bitdefender TrafficLight does not have like: ad / tracker blocking (it is not as good as uBlock Origin, though), better scam / adware / grayware protection, et cetera.

I usually keep coming back to Malwarebyes Browser Guard over Bitdefender TrafficLight, I install various security extensions from time to time to see if they have improved or not, et cetera; that is currently why I have both installed alongside uBlock Origin.

Reactions: Tiamati

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.