Can you Install Avira Free Antivirus in 2019 [100+ Screenshots]

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
Avira must have the worst managers ever. For the past 20 years they have failed to update the GUI and they are still struggling.
Every marketing expert knows, that the cover/packaging sells the product, regardless of how good/bad it is. And the webpage, oh boy.
Avira Free/Pro - Protects from malware - and that is it, nothing more? AVG for example protects you from malware, viruses, spyware, ransomware.

Attachments

• capture_03062020_113320.jpg
    capture_03062020_113320.jpg
    158.6 KB · Views: 646

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
What is this configure defender all about? I normally go and edit the group policies to make it a lot more aggressive... is that what configure defender does as well?
No need to do that anymore, you can configure it from a GUI.
Created by our own @Andy Ful
Review:

B

BVLon

No need to do that anymore, you van configure it from a GUI:
Review:
I will test WD with its utmost extreme configuration and post in MH.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
I will test WD with its utmost extreme configuration and post in MH.
That would be great thanks (y)
Personally I have set it to high and enabled the Controlled Folder Access ransomware protection.
I would recommend you have a look at the ConfigureDefender Help pdf-file from here for more info on the settings:

RejZoR

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2016
Avira must have the worst managers ever. For the past 20 years they have failed to update the GUI and they are still struggling.
Every marketing expert knows, that the cover/packaging sells the product, regardless of how good/bad it is. And the webpage, oh boy.
Avira Free/Pro - Protects from malware - and that is it, nothing more? AVG for example protects you from malware, viruses, spyware, ransomware.

There is no such thing as antivirus that only covers viruses in literal meaning of the word. They all cover all sorts of malware.

Reactions: oldschool

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
That would be great thanks (y)
Personally I have set it to high and enabled the Controlled Folder Access ransomware protection.
I would recommend you have a look at the ConfigureDefender Help pdf-file from here for more info on the settings:
BVLon testing in High settings mode would be better I think since most users here use it this way. Max is way too restrictive, it would block almost every new files (exe mostly) whether it's malicious or not. High is convenient for everyone.

bribon77

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 6, 2017
This is an awful set of needless bloatware... I didn't know Avira has degraded so much... It's becoming an Ashampoo...
I can not believe it sometimes, Avira in its beginning, was a light AV and without paraphernalia, today is full of things and advertising.
Avira has been one of my favorite AVs and I have used it for a long time, but it seems that Avira's people do not realize that they are not right.😔

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Testing WD properly will not be easy due to some WD features:
  1. Behavioral detections can neutralize many samples before the final payload could harm the system. So, some processes related to the early infection stages can run and connect to remote URLs, but WD can constantly block their malicious actions. This can be analyzed by using Windows Event Viewer or ConfigureDefender Security Log.
  2. Some leftovers can remain in the Registry. They are usually related to the neutralized/quarantined files. The tester has to analyze if these leftovers can lower the security settings of the system. I found that something like Any.Run can be useful for that (ANY.RUN - Interactive Online Malware Sandbox).
  3. There is no simple method to test the AVs which use post-infection behavioral detections. Such detections allow infecting a few machines (usually one or two) and protect the rest. WD uses BAFS for that. So, it is possible that the AV without post-infection detection can have a better scoring in the malware test, but will have a worse infection statistics in the wild. This could be tested by repeating the test for non-detected samples after a few hours.
  4. WD uses file MOTW (important in the real-world test) to evaluate the behavioral detection threshold.
  5. WD is integrated with the SmartScreen filter in Edge (important in the real-world test).
Generally, testing WD properly can be much harder as compared to many AVs.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.