Advice Request Can you justify turning off auto-updates?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
I turn off auto-updates for giveaways, where the license is only valid for the version I have installed. That's the only instance where I do it. Other than that, I generally prefer to have the latest version.

The_King

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 2, 2020
I stop windows from auto-updating and install my window updates manually after I verify there are no issues with that update.

I do this so that I don't end up saying my PC was working fine yesterday but now it won't boot. Must be that 🤬 windows auto-update.

This has happened several times in the past and I'm sure it will happen again and again. Although recovery options are better today on windows
they don't always work.

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
I update my softwares once a month at one go usually at the start of the month. It gives me full control instead of allowing these softwares to unnecessarily be connected to the internet all the time, while starting/running the apps. Additionally I block internet access to almost all softwares on my system, with an exception for those that requires it to function, i.e web browsers, download manager etc.

I maintain a repository of updated offline installers for softwares on my system. I don't feel violated that my software's are not up-to-latest-date. It's not far behind either. Most of the software updates within a month are not that useful to me most of the time.

Last edited:

Marko :)

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
I stopped updating Android on my phone(s). Over time they get slower and battery isn't lasting as long as it should. My current phone (Xperia XA2 Ultra) even after three years, still works perfect at the time my previous phones started lagging and couldn't hold a charge for long.

Other than that, I stopped updating some Xperia apps that came with the device, that I don't use and which I can't disable. Currently, the app takes around 5 MB of space, but if I update it, it grows to more than 200 MB. And I don't see the point in updating something I don't use.

Minimalist

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Oct 2, 2020
I stopped autoupdates on Win 10 because of some small problems I encountered in past. Now I prefer to wait for a few days and then manually update, making system image before doing it. I usually do it at the end of week as I use my computer for work also.

amirr

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
I stopped updating Android on my phone(s). Over time they get slower and battery isn't lasting as long as it should. My current phone (Xperia XA2 Ultra) even after three years, still works perfect at the time my previous phones started lagging and couldn't hold a charge for long.

Other than that, I stopped updating some Xperia apps that came with the device, that I don't use and which I can't disable. Currently, the app takes around 5 MB of space, but if I update it, it grows to more than 200 MB. And I don't see the point in updating something I don't use.
My Nokia Plus 7 I got about three years ago, did not get Android 11, so I for now use it with Android 10 and it also stopped getting security updates recently.

gorblimey

Level 2
Verified
Aug 30, 2017
I simply don't want any program/OS interrupting my day. Updates -- when I do do it -- are strictly manual.

And updates only happen if the app performance warrants it. My browser and email client are fairly current, while my graphics is still done on PSP 6.2 o_O And since Win7 still works perfectly without any updates other than functional upgrades (eg: Visual C++ Redists and SP1) I have no need for Windows-as-a-service. Foxit stopped getting updates when the "upgrade" took away the Menu Bar -- I have no ribbons on this box!

Having said all that, don't do what I do unless you fully understand what the consequences could be.

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
I have windows set to notify for any available updates. Usually I update it on the same day. My excuse is I don't have enough system resources to spare so that update can run in background without me noticing. So I do my work or finish watching movie after that I update the PC. Sometimes also check for issues on tenforums, MT for any issues before installing.
Apart from windows I have set everything (except browsers) to manual updates (only notify and don't install or download) which I check weekly for updates using patchmypc, sumo & ruckzuck.

Last edited:

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
what REALLY is security? Safety? in my REAL native tongue, they aren't much different. are YOU safe? are you secure?
I interpret security as a process and safety as a result. If you compare it to baseball, safety is the strike zone. That's where you aim and pitch. Safety is the result of the umpire's judgment as to whether the pitch was thrown in the strike zone or not.

I don't see the point in updating something I don't us
The pre-installed apps (soft) from the Microsoft store in the past were just that for me. The same is true for Android. There are many pre-installed things that I would rather delete than update.

Marko :)

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
My Nokia Plus 7 I got about three years ago, did not get Android 11, so I for now use it with Android 10 and it also stopped getting security updates recently.
Last Android version for my Xperia is 9, but I refuse to upgrade it because it only brings problems.
The pre-installed apps (soft) from the Microsoft store in the past were just that for me. The same is true for Android. There are many pre-installed things that I would rather delete than update.
Exactly.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.