Solved Cannot get rid of metaffiliation.com popup!

Billolo

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Oct 21, 2016
Hello,

I'm encountering this problem even after few scans I did in order to get rid of all possible adwares/malwares I once found on my PC few days ago.
The thing is: everything seems to work properly now and I don't think I've other pending issues (at least not visible) except for this f*****g page that always comes up. If I close it, it's likely that it will reappear after some time.
My add-on, uBlock Origin always succeds in preventing it from loading but - you know - this is just a "symptom fix" while I'm struggling to find the actual 'cause'.
I did several scans with the in-description-mentioned tools, but none of them helped me finding the proper solution.
I attach the two files you ask for ('FRST.txt' and 'Addition.txt') beside a two-days-ago log file from AdwCleaner.
Plus, I found another user on this forum had the same problem (and others too, though), whose post I found at this address: Alibaba Offer page which cannot be removed...
I send you a screenshot of the issue too.

Thanks for your help!
Regards

Ps. Notice that I've attached 2 files for AdwCleaner, since in its main folder it showed me two different names for what I thought was a single file. However, I found some little differences between them, so I posted both. I'm sorry if there's some 'redundancy' but I couldn't decide which one was the log file you were looking for, even because they report slightly different times of creation, so I don't know why did it create them two instead of just one o_O

Attachments

• Addition.txt
    47.9 KB · Views: 4
  • FRST.txt
    104 KB · Views: 5
  • AdwCleaner[C2].txt
    1.4 KB · Views: 0
  • AdwCleaner[S1].txt
    1.6 KB · Views: 1
  • metaffiliation_screenshot.PNG
    metaffiliation_screenshot.PNG
    103.8 KB · Views: 15

TwinHeadedEagle

Level 41
Verified
Mar 8, 2013
Hello,

Please download Zemana AntiMalware and save it to your Desktop.
  • Install the program and once the installation is complete it will start automatically.
  • Without changing any options, press Scan to begin.
  • After the short scan is finished, if threats are detected press Next to remove them.
Note: If restart is required to finish the cleaning process, you should click Reboot. If reboot isn't required, please restart your computer manually.
  • Open Zemana AntiMalware again.
  • Click on
    4zu6vb.jpg
    icon and double click the latest report.
  • Now click File > Save As and choose your Desktop before pressing Save.
  • The only left thing is to attach saved report in your next message.

Billolo

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Oct 21, 2016
First let me say thank you very much for your fast reply!
After it, I'll send the Log you asked for (however, without changing settings it did a SmartScan instead of Deep one - should I redo it in the latter mode?). Another question: can i keep Zemana along with McAfee or are some conflicts likely to happen between them?
Regards

Attachments

• ZemanaLog.txt
    2.4 KB · Views: 7

TwinHeadedEagle

Level 41
Verified
Mar 8, 2013
It was okay. Yes, you can keep Zemana along with Antivirus.

FRST.gif
Scan with Farbar Recovery Scan Tool

Please re-run Farbar Recovery Scan Tool to give me a fresh look at your system.
  • Right-click on
    FRST.gif
    icon and select
    RunAsAdmin.jpg
    Run as Administrator to start the tool.
    (XP users click run after receipt of Windows Security Warning - Open File).
  • Make sure that Addition.txt option is checked.

2873ryc.png

• Press Scan button and wait.
  • The tool will produce two logfiles on your desktop: FRST.txt and Addition.txt.
Please attach report into your next reply.

Billolo

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Oct 21, 2016
Here are the two files!
Regards

Attachments

• FRST.txt
    225.4 KB · Views: 3
  • Addition.txt
    52.2 KB · Views: 2

Billolo

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Oct 21, 2016
Ps. I actually waited a day from reinstalling and things were going well. But today I noticed the same popular.

Billolo

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Oct 21, 2016
I meant "pop-up" (I'm sorry for multiple posting but I can't find the modify button on smartphone browser, even requesting the desktop version)

Billolo

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Oct 21, 2016
Well, let's see what's gonna happen!
I stopped sync and deleted all browser's files. Cleaned everything with CCleaner and then activated chrome sync another time. I hope I did it well.
In the meantime, thank you very much! I'll let you know if this worked.
NB. The main issue was still occourring few moments ago. Hope they were its last ones.

Billolo

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Oct 21, 2016
Update: Unfortunately, the same popup comes up, besides another new one. Neither Malwarebytes nor adwcleaner find them.
Maybe I can try deactivating chrome sync and let it detached from my actual account for a while and see what happens.
As you suggested me before, I gave it a read when trying your solution and found that:
Note: You only need to do this once. It will stop sync on all of your devices and remove your synced data from your Google Account. However, your data will still be available in Chrome on your device(s). If you sign in to Chrome on a device again, the data on that device will sync to your account again.

But the thing is: If it actually deletes all synched data from Google account, and on the other hand nothing strange seems to be on my laptop (i mean some weird config or malicious file - in fact i run multiple programs reading this post without finding anything suspicious), what could ever cause these popups?

As always, many thanks for your help!

Billolo

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Oct 21, 2016
Well, I was about to write that everything was ok, since I haven't had any popups for some days, but just before I replied to your message another one came up.
I'm getting very upset with this.
Is there anything I can try to manage these f*****g popups?
As always, thank you in advance for your kind help!

Billolo

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Oct 21, 2016
Ps. I followed another time the general steps contained in this thread, but unfortunately I had already used Hitman Pro so I couldn't use it to remove all the items it found. Anyway, according to its view, the only elements were tracking cookies in IExplorer and Firefox, but nothing in Chrome. Could they in some way affect its behaviour too?

Billolo

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Oct 21, 2016
(Up)

Is there anything I can try beside resetting my pc using the recovery partition? :confused:
I'd rather keep this as my last solution, though I tried almost everything you suggested. but meybe I'm still missing something.

Billolo

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Oct 21, 2016
Well, the thing is that these ads show up themselves without the need for clicking somewhere to make them coming out. However, since the issue is still happening, but not as often as before, I should consider this almost solved.
Anyway, thanks for your help! ;)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.